Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 14, 2012   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Small hibiscus- potting up or in- ground?

I just purchased 7 lovely hibiscus plants from an online tropical hibiscus store. They are in 4" pots. The instructions say to repot after two weeks to a 10" pot, no larger for the first year.
The store is located in a mild growing climate (San Diego). I'm growing these in Mesa, AZ. I've never had much luck with containers in the summer, especially small containers, due to roots getting too hot. I have no indoor space for 7 hibiscus and would really love to put these in their final home ASAP.
What is the reasoning behind going to such a small container for so long? Do I really need to do this? Wouldn't nice cool dirt in the ground be better?
I purchased El Capitolio, hibiscus Schizopetalus, and 3 hybrids ( Aztec Giant, Party Girl and Saffron).
I would love to get about 5-6 more, if these do well.
I'm also going to try cuttings next spring off these.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I dont know about Hibiscus but I grow a lot of potted geraniums year round where I live. They just get lost and rot out in bigger pots. They do better pot bound. Maybe Hibiscus is similar?
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote