Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 28, 2009   #1
Johnnyv_44
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplanting up from seedlings

So this is my first year trying to grow flowers from seed. Seems I picked easy varietys... Marigolds and Zinnia's...they've got their first true leaves and are really stretching. I need to split them up and replant them before they go outside which won't be for several weeks. I guess my question is when I repot them, how deep to plant them. Can they be planted deep? Bury them up to the leaves? I know it aint tomato's but I appreciate the help!

Thanks!
JohnnyV
Johnnyv_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

You should never plant Zinnias more than 2 in advance of planting out. They usually don't like their roots messed around with. Zinnias sprout real quickly outside as soon as the weather is fine outside.

Marigolds should be started when you start your Tomato seeds. Their aroma is needed to deter pests from the Tomato plants.

Where you want to use them for the Tomato plants to deter pests, make sure you use Marigolds from the french versions they have the second names as "Patula."

HTH
~* Robin