Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 16, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Fig Tree

I bought this Fig tree at the market. It had a few bug chews on the leaves, but northing major, the rest of it seemed to look good, so I bought it. There was no tags with it and the gentleman I bought it from could only remember it had the word Black somewhere in it's name. So I have no idea what it is actually called.

Anybody know a fig that has Black first or second in it's name?

The plant seemed to be doing ok these past several weeks, but today as I was scouting leaves to make sure no pests was hiding, I noticed the leaves feel very dry, almost to the point of feeling crunchy and a few of them the ends are starting to roll.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on and what I need to do for it?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I bought this Fig tree at the market. It had a few bug chews on the leaves, but northing major, the rest of it seemed to look good, so I bought it. There was no tags with it and the gentleman I bought it from could only remember it had the word Black somewhere in it's name. So I have no idea what it is actually called.

Anybody know a fig that has Black first or second in it's name?

The plant seemed to be doing ok these past several weeks, but today as I was scouting leaves to make sure no pests was hiding, I noticed the leaves feel very dry, almost to the point of feeling crunchy and a few of them the ends are starting to roll.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on and what I need to do for it?
They are called Black Mission Figs.
Here is a link to figs.
You would be better off with celeste.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2w&cad=rja
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I forgot your question about the leaves.
Is it in a container if so it is dried out figs in containers are a real chore and hard to do.
And they are one of the few trees you can plant in the ground deeper than the root ball.
I have some figs on a tree in the back but I dont want to put up with chiggers to see if any are ready.

Worth
Old June 16, 2015   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I have a Black Jack fig tree. I'd been wanting this variety because it's a smaller tree, and fortuitously someone at my local garden share brought cuttings one day. I had it in a container for at least a year, and now it's in the ground. When it was in the container, I put a larger container around it to keep the roots a bit less hot. I also mulched the surface. It did ok in the container, and it's doing even better in the ground -- at least 3 figs are forming!

Black Mission or Black Jack is probably what you have. But there's also
Ischia Black
Black Madeira
Black Marseilles
Black Portugal
Black Weeping
Black Triana
Malta Black

Last edited by habitat_gardener; June 16, 2015 at 08:07 PM.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
They are called Black Mission Figs.
Here is a link to figs.
You would be better off with celeste.
I wasn't even thinking about fig trees when I picked up this guy, but for a couple of bucks, I couldn't pass it up.

Neighbors' have the Brown Turkey Fig. It's ok. Their fruit is so sweet you can't stand to eat more than 3 or 4 figs without starting to feel ill.

I'll google Celeste in a bit to see what it is like.

Thanks for the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I forgot your question about the leaves.
Is it in a container if so it is dried out figs in containers are a real chore and hard to do.
And they are one of the few trees you can plant in the ground deeper than the root ball.
I have some figs on a tree in the back but I dont want to put up with chiggers to see if any are ready.

Worth
Yes, it is in a one gallon container. I have the plant in an isolation area as I haven't had time to even see what kind of soil it is in or anything. The guy I got it from, I have no idea where he gets his plants from. Some nursery, somewhere and the rest of his fruit trees are those ones that come in a tiny bag and he stacks piles of them bags up.

I have no idea how old it is, but it has been pruned back from last year for sure . Actually it looks more like a fig bush right now than a tree.

I tried to post a pic, but paint won't reduce the pic. Says I'm out of memory or something. Puter is acting up again. grrrrr

No way. Don't even think about checking. You sure don't need any more chigger bites for a while. Figs here are no ways ready yet. Yours may not be either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I have a Black Jack fig tree. I'd been wanting this variety because it's a smaller tree, and fortuitously someone at my local garden share brought cuttings one day. I had it in a container for at least a year, and now it's in the ground. When it was in the container, I put a larger container around it to keep the roots a bit less hot. I also mulched the surface. It did ok in the container, and it's doing even better in the ground -- at least 3 figs are forming!

Black Mission or Black Jack is probably what you have. But there's also
Ischia Black
Black Madeira
Black Marseilles
Black Portugal
Black Weeping
Black Triana
Malta Black
Don't just get a warm and fuzzy feeling when your finally able to get a plant you want. That was so nice of them to share. Three figs is good to start out with. Hopefully you'll get a few more. The fig type we have here usually doesn't take to many years to really start producing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will do that til I can figure out where I want to plant it. Especially with this heat. I better check on the height and width of this fig. Didn't even think about that before I put it in the ground. I hate redigging.

Oh my! What a list of figs. Never even knew they existed. Now I'm curious and will have to look them up.
Old June 16, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Black Mission Figs are also known as the Mission Fig. One of the best. It's what I think of when I think Figs. As Worth wrote above - grow them in ground. They overwinter many times/years in zones 7 and 8. Not sure about other zones because I'm replying from experience - not online help. They taste very good and can take heat/humidity.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Black Mission Figs are also known as the Mission Fig. One of the best. It's what I think of when I think Figs. As Worth wrote above - grow them in ground. They overwinter many times/years in zones 7 and 8. Not sure about other zones because I'm replying from experience - not online help. They taste very good and can take heat/humidity.
There is a big Celeste tree down town I rob figs off of every year.

I just love the things.

Worth
Old June 16, 2015   #8
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I started growing figs this year from some free cuttings, and some traded ones. I have 5 different cultivars. I plan to put one in the ground. I will have to protect it. It's slightly hardier than Chicago hardy it's called Florea. The others I plan on storing them in the garage close to the house wall. I will monitor temps and bring them in if it becomes super cold. I overwinter cherry trees, blackberries, and blueberries now. Works well. Anyway most are fairly hardy.
Lot's of other blacks are around too, besides those listed.
Late Black
Kathleen’s Black
Black Bethlehem
Black Genoa
Black Greek
Gino's Black
and more I'm sure.
I have
Scott's Black
Marseilles Black vs
Florea
Violette de Bordeaux
Osborne Prolific

Last edited by drew51; June 17, 2015 at 12:36 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

With figs, often size does not matter. Many varieties tolerate lots of pruning.
Some friends keep their fig tree pruned to 6 ft. so that they can build a pvc structure around it to hold bird netting. Without the netting, the wildlife would be very happy. With the netting, they get to eat the figs!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #10
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Brown Turkey and Celeste for years. To me, Celeste tastes better. Mine are loaded with green figs now. Good luck with yours, Star. They make delicious preserves too.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2015   #11
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
With figs, often size does not matter. Many varieties tolerate lots of pruning.
Some friends keep their fig tree pruned to 6 ft. so that they can build a pvc structure around it to hold bird netting. Without the netting, the wildlife would be very happy. With the netting, they get to eat the figs!
I kept mine at about that size. You don't want to use sticks or ladders to pick them. Figs should be reachable from the ground if you want them for you. I used to pick a few hundred pounds a day
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Til I figure out where I want to plant it, once it comes out of quarantine, want to make sure it has no type of foliar diseases, what type of soil mix should I plant it in? Since I have no idea what this gentleman used, I want to get the plant out of it and into something I know is good and safe.

I came home with a 3 gallon pot the one day of I plant I bought and had to get help lifting it. Thing felt like it weighed 50 lbs. When I dumped it to repot into soil I knew, it was filled with stones and hard clods of wet clay and somethings I didn't even know. No wonder the plant was struggling. Once it got a new home , it flurished.

Quote:
Worth... There is a big Celeste tree down town I rob figs off of every year.

I just love the things.

Worth
Them the best tasting kind huh! LOL

Habitat... Good to know about the pruning. I have lots of wildlife and critters, plus I really don't like climbing trees to get fruit and holding a basket at the same time. : )
Old June 17, 2015   #13
LDiane

One thing to be aware of when working around a fig tree with bare skin is that you can get long-lasting blisters if you then go out in the sun. I make sure to wash my arms thoroughly after picking fruit.
Old June 17, 2015   #14
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

For people interested in growing in Figs in Containers this guy is just amazing:
http://figs4fun.com/bills_figs.html
Old August 24, 2015   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I didn't expect the sad plant I bought to really grow, but it has and a bit back what I thought was new leaves growing actually turned out to be baby figs developing.

A few weeks back I finally got it transplanted into a bigger container as I still don't know where I want to put it and the three main branches that all only had one fig growing now has more baby figs.

Sorry for the bad pic,, getting dark out, but pic is baby figs on one of three main branches.

Now, how will I know they are ready to eat? Do you think they will ripen up before winter comes?

If I would have known the plant was going to live I would have bought some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0895.JPG (63.4 KB, 93 views)