Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 18, 2018   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They dog paddled.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2018   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The wolves and big cats were the predators of the coyote we killed them off now we are paying the price of our sins.
Humans are the only animal on earth that are smart enough to screw it up.
I have said it to people a thousand times we dont belong here but we are here and we dont have any place to go.
Worth
Old December 18, 2018   #33
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Lots of bridges between the mainland and Melbourne Beach and lots of wilderness for them to hide.
Old December 19, 2018   #34
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago when the guy who owns the adjacent pasture still had cows, one coyote showed up shortly after one cow had given birth. This was in the afternoon. I got out the binoculars to watch and was amazed. The coyote didn't seem interested in the calf and the cow didn't seem upset by the coyote's presence.

What the coyote was interested in was the fresh placenta on the ground and was heartily chowing down. Then I realized that most of the nighttime coyote howling seems to happen around calving time. Could be it's the afterbirth buffet that brings them in because I've not seen any calf carcasses out there in the field.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2018   #35
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

We just had a woman mauled by a black bear in PA, BUT they had left deer guts in the yard from where they cleaned a deer that they had hunter.

Duh, now the bear will be euthanized because of the attack but I think that if you are dumb enough to leave guts in your yard that you should expect predators looking for a free meal.

That is interesting about the coyote. They are opportunists too.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2018   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just so you guys and gals know I have had calves being eaten as they were being born.
Nothing more horrific than seeing a half eaten calf in the middle of birth by these miserable creatures.
Worth
Old December 21, 2018   #37
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Oh, that's horrible.
Old December 21, 2018   #38
MissS
Tomatovillian™

As a gardener, I welcome the coyotes. They keep the rabbit and groundhog populations down. The rabbits and groundhogs can do a whole lot of damage. When the rabbits are out of control the coyotes come. After a year or two the coyotes move on to where the food is more plentiful. They will return when the food comes back. Coyotes are a gardeners friend.
If you have small pets that you leave tied up outside, then I would think that you may have some concerns with them around.
Old December 21, 2018   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Smokey knows to stay up high and when to come in.
Worth
Old December 21, 2018   #40
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
We just had a woman mauled by a black bear in PA, BUT they had left deer guts in the yard from where they cleaned a deer that they had hunter.

Duh, now the bear will be euthanized because of the attack but I think that if you are dumb enough to leave guts in your yard that you should expect predators looking for a free meal.

That is interesting about the coyote. They are opportunists too.
I am never very glued to the news, but I believe what I heard is that the lady in question went after her dog who had a yearling bear pinned down ... black bears usually only attack when a cub/yearling is involved or when they themselves are pinned down with no other choice. We have a lot of them here in the Poconos and my one dog treed a yearling several years ago ... my head was spinning around like Linda Blair from the Exorcist looking for the mamma bear as went to drag my dog off.
Coyotes ... well we have a lot of them around too. They are very elusive and do not come around to be seen much. We have lost 3 cats so far to these vermin, but on the other hand we have no rabbits or ground hogs to rip through the garden. Happy about that aspect. We also have an over abundance of Foxes and now Fishers too. Many predators, not so much prey for them.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2018   #41
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I will eat a rabbit I will eat a groundhog but I wont eat a dog or any kin to a dog.
Old December 23, 2018   #42
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I am never very glued to the news, but I believe what I heard is that the lady in question went after her dog who had a yearling bear pinned down ... black bears usually only attack when a cub/yearling is involved or when they themselves are pinned down with no other choice.
I just googled for an update on this story and it seems that a bear with cubs may have been attracted by deer parts laying around but the woman's chihuahua chased after a cub which led to the woman being grabbed by the momma bear.

They were not able to trap the bear and now they can not positively identify it so the have decided to just let it go. It may be hibernating by now and they have no good way to identify it.

The woman was in serious condition but is recovering.
Old December 23, 2018   #43
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Georgia has a reward for shooting coyotes. They have wiped out our native red foxes and are increasing everywhere.

https://georgiawildlife.com/georgia-...begins-march-1
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2018   #44
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, this county has one less coyote. This afternoon, just before dark, I saw one sneaking up on one of our newest calves. It was a long shot, but my 30-06 is sighted in at 150 yards and I had loaded in some 110 gr hollow points just for this kind of situation. When I dropped the hammer, the results were instantaneous and I think very humane given the circumstances. I won't show the results, because it would serve no purpose. The remains resemble a damaged canine rug. I put some of the remains on fence posts at the back of the pasture because the local game warden had told me that tends to keep the live ones away for a while.

We've lost two calves in the last three months. And, I know the coyotes are just trying to make a living. I've tried to allow them to "pass thru" as long as they do that. But when they lock on to one of the stock and go into the stalk, I can't let that go.

It doesn't feel good when you have to protect property, but it has to be done. If we don't do something, then we might as well just give up and sell the herd. I'm not inclined to give up.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Wish me Happy Birthday tomorrow.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2018   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Well, this county has one less coyote. This afternoon, just before dark, I saw one sneaking up on one of our newest calves. It was a long shot, but my 30-06 is sighted in at 150 yards and I had loaded in some 110 gr hollow points just for this kind of situation. When I dropped the hammer, the results were instantaneous and I think very humane given the circumstances. I won't show the results, because it would serve no purpose. The remains resemble a damaged canine rug. I put some of the remains on fence posts at the back of the pasture because the local game warden had told me that tends to keep the live ones away for a while.

We've lost two calves in the last three months. And, I know the coyotes are just trying to make a living. I've tried to allow them to "pass thru" as long as they do that. But when they lock on to one of the stock and go into the stalk, I can't let that go.

It doesn't feel good when you have to protect property, but it has to be done. If we don't do something, then we might as well just give up and sell the herd. I'm not inclined to give up.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Wish me Happy Birthday tomorrow.
I knew it was your birthday tomorrow can you believe that.
I looked on the calendar because I knew it was coming up.

Happy Birthday and good shooting.

Calf Lives Matter.

Worth