Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 14, 2022   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Sprouting Pepper Temp?

When sprouting pepper what is the ideal temperature for the soil? These are hot Big Jim, and Joe E.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2022   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I sprout mine at about 80 degrees F.
Old February 14, 2022   #3
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

72 to 80 degrees works very well. Above or below suppresses germination. I've had best results about 75 to 76 degrees. They need high moisture but not saturated soil. A very loose seed start mix works best.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2022   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

best, and quickest germination i ever had with pepper seeds was on top of an old cast
iron radiator we had in an old mining house we lived in for several years. someone had made a shelf to fit over the top of it, and i placed a towel on top the shelf with the planted seeds on top of the towel. i had seedlings in about five days. other homes
i put the planted seeds in a tray over a heat vent if in floor heat with a book or brick or piece of wood on each end of the tray so the heat can still come out. on top of a hot water heater will work provided your unheated basement isn't in the mid 40s like mine is right now. currently i start my seeds underneath the wood stove during the winter. germination takes a bit longer due to temperature fluctuation.
you can use a heating mat, but i am a cheapskate.

keith
Old February 15, 2022   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I've had best results at 80 - 85 F.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2022   #6
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I use a heating pad to start my peppers and monitor the soil temperature daily at 1/4" depth. I germinate them hot for the first two days, usually 85-95°F, and then lower the heat to give 75-85°F. I have seedlings in 5-6 days for both hot and sweet peppers.
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2022   #7
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a heat mat but have had good luck with peppers when I use reasonably fresh seeds -- no older than 3 or 4 years. I assume it takes longer than it would with heat, but it works for me. I start my seeds in the kitchen which stays around 72F. I have found that moisture control is even more important for seeds that take longer to germinate.

Good luck!

BBJM
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2022   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

If I remember Johnny's catalog germination chart correctly, 86 degrees is their optimum temp. After 1st true leaves, they should be grown at 70 in the day, 60 at night.They also recommend a controlled cold treatment of seedlings, which is more complicated than the above.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2022   #9
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

80 to 90 degrees for me, and at the upper end for super hots.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2022   #10
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I’ve researched and summarized quick and successful germination methods from Chinese growers, with much higher initial temperature treatment, I have no doubt of its effectiveness.. I will start mine today, and report back.
Bring water to a boil then cool to 130 F, add pepper or egg plant seeds, let it cool to about 104 F, then pour seeds with the water into a coffee container and tighten the lid, to keep temperature steady, for 6-8 hours. Then plant seeds the same way as you experts’ methods stated above. Germination is within 2- 3 days.
Believe it or not, I poured boiling water, without cooling at all, into mung bean seeds, and let it cool naturally to room temperature, and grew great sprouts.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; February 21, 2022 at 10:24 AM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2022   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

That's sounds like a major pain to do a hot water bath for 10 different types...but I don't doubt it works. I have replicated that accidentally a few times, with heat mat thermostat probe gone astray.

So how did it work out, NewWestGardener?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote