Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2017   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default Any good blight resistant stains?

for the past two years I lost all of my tomatoes in early August to blight. Are there any resistant varieties out there?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I wanna know too !
But until I find them, this reminds me to fungicide my plants ASAP.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #3
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Good OP varieties I've noted that are supposed to have some blight tolerance are:

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Krim
Old Brooks
Prudens Purple
Russian Rose
Thessaloniki

Two supposedly good hybrids are Jasper F1 and Mountain Magic F1.

Steve

Last edited by sjamesNorway; March 28, 2017 at 03:59 AM.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago Cornell released another blight resistant hybrid called Iron Lady (F1).

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...es-out-blights

Anyone tried it?
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #5
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

I tried the fungicides last year and my plants still went South by August first
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I live in PA and depending on the weather we will get Late Blight in August. Cool and damp nights will mean LB here. Last year was really dry in August so no LB.

I have tried Legend which was supposed to be resistant but was not impressed. My Big Beef plants seemed to be the strongest and kept producing the longest even after being infected with LB two years ago.

I start spraying with Actinovate in July. Some people swear by it and others say it doesn't work. I think that it has worked well for me so I will keep using it. It is a biological preventative mixed in water so you need to apply it before LB appears and apply it weekly. It is also approved for organic gardens and I garden organically.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #7
rockman
Tomatovillian™

Yes Phila Gardener I tried Iorn Ladies 4 Yrs. ago. The were 3' plants loaded with medium round fruit. I didn't have to worry about late blights or anything else as the early blight wiped them out. I sent pictures to Cornell U. explaining I ordered the seeds from Totally Tomatoes,and the selling point was they were resistant to about all including early and late blights. The agreed I had the early blight and they don't claim the Iorn Lady to be resistant to anything, just tolerant and in my case it wasn't that either. I called 2 of the seed catalog companies and explained. Since then the claim is still there.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

My sis gets Early Blight badly so I've done lots of research on this. Many with good "disease resistance" don't have EB resistance. Big Beef does not have EB resistance. However, I found the new & improved Big Beef, called Giant Beef, expensive at Henry Field's which is EB resistant. Here is a list of what somebody on the Internet says has some Early Blight resistance:

Aunt Ginny's Purple
Black Krim
Black Plum
Cloudy Day
Defiant PhR
Gardeners Choice
Giant Beef f1
Indigo Rose
Iron Lady
Jasper
Juliet
Legend
Manalucie
Matina
Matt's Wild Cherry
Mountain Magic f1
Mountain Merit
Old Brooks
Plum Regal f1
Tommy Toe
Wisconsin 55

These are listed as having some Late Blight resistance:

Black Krim
Defiant PhR
Indigo Apple
Indigo Rose
Iron Lady
Italian Heirloom
Jasper
Legend
Lemon Drop
Lizzano
Matt's Wild Cherry
Mountain Magic f1
Mountain Merit
Old Brooks
Pink Beauty
Plum Regal f1
Pruden's Purple
Red Grape f1
Rose de Berne
Surecrop
Tigerella
Tommy Toe

These are listed as having unspecified blight resistance, who knows if it's early, late, etc.:

Ceylon (anecdotal)
Delicious(anecdotal)
Double rich
Fox cherry (anecdotal)
Graham's Good Keeper
New Big Dwarf
Stakeless
Thessaloniki
Vinson Watts (anecdotal)

Notes: Not all f1's are listed as such. If there is an f1 version & an OP version, only the f1 will have the disease resistance, in all probability. "Resistance" should not be construed to mean immunity.

Welcome to a year's worth of Internet research.
Good luck,
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #9
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Eva Purple Ball

Always my best looking plants at the end of the season

(ab, lb, ber, cr, cf) 78 days. (Indeterminate) [Late 1800s heirloom from the Black Forest region of Germany from Joe Bratka’s grandfather. Seed courtesy of Carolyn Male and Craig LeHoullier. Introduced 1994 by SESE.] Outstanding performer in hot, humid areas. Excellent resistance to diseases, including some resistance to late blight. One of the most blemish-free tomatoes we have grown, with a soft tender texture. Smooth, round, attractive pink-purple fruits weigh 5-7 oz. Fruits are easy to harvest, some dropping from the vine at peak ripeness, and easy to peel. A wonderful all-purpose tomato with excellent flavor

http://www.southernexposure.com/eva-...-g-p-1107.html

Just wanted to edit to say Eva Purple Ball grows better than any hybrid I have ever grown.A wonderful variety

Last edited by seaeagle; March 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #10
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I grow my plants in cages with a deep straw mulch under them to keep soil from splashing up onto the leaves. I also cut off all of the branches near the bottom of the plants. EB lives in the soil and I get some but very little of that and when I see it I prune off any leaves having that. I have never lost a plant to EB.

LB spores are carried by the wind and I can't protect from that except by using the Actinovate as a preventative like I mentioned.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Blight is just a generic word that many use to describe foliaged iseases, so unless you know which specific diseases are causing your foliage diseases you don't know how to prevent nor treat any of them.

Different products are used to help prevent the common fungal diseases,but they don't usually work well for the bacterial diseases. And diseases caused by viruses or viroids or RKN's are a completely different story.

And there are NO varieties that are totally resistant to any diseases, the operative word is tolerance.

Carolyn
Old March 28, 2017   #12
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

tolerance - relative capacity of an organism to grow or thrive when subjected to an unfavorable environmental factor
resistance -
the inherent ability of an organism to resist harmful influences (such as disease, toxic agents, or infection)

Carolyn is right, the proper use of the term in this case would be
tolerance
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #13
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Over the years I have noticed that my disease tolerance has improved greatly by improving growing conditions rather than looking for disease resistant (or tolerant) varieties.

Practices such as a good mulching program, watering at the root system rather than overhead and timing of watering and taking care in handling plants help more than anything. The more careful I am, the less disease in growing the same varieties in the same garden. Amazing that I have had no real problems for the past five or six years. It is not that there are no problems, but they are so reduced that it seems I have no disease problem.
Old March 28, 2017   #14
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Praleska
De Barao (all the family with such name)
Viva

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #15
LDiane

Late blight is common here when fall rains start (we rarely have any summer rain).

Last year every tomato plant in the 86 allotments where I garden had blight except for a self-seeded plant in my plot. I think it was Cuatomate, with currant-sized fruit.