Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 22, 2016   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default New canning and meat processing station.

Some of you have been following the lathe project well it is completed.
The last of the shelves is up and it dawned on me I needed a dedicated place to can food and process meat.
That last shelf became that place.
I dont have the surface on the shelf yet and I dont have a 220 volt electric hot plate for the canner.
But what I do have is 220 right there.
In the pictures to come soon you will see the 120 wall outlet is out of the wall.
The stupid thing died yesterday and I have to replace it.
I thought I had screwed into a wire or something but no I have 120 the thing just died.
What I do have is showing the shelf and the layout of the grinder and meat stuffer.
This shelf is 36 inches high by 5 feet long.
I used the five foot section left over from the 3 foot shelf and I had to bust up the pallet the lathe came on for four cross supports under the shelf.
Anything to keep from going to the store for one 2X4.
Knife racks and more shelves are coming soon.
The stuffer and grinder will get covers put on them when not in use.
Worth
IMG_20160522_25948.jpg

IMG_20160522_40170.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #2
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Looks great.
I just upgraded last spring to a #22 grinder after using a crap cheap one for a few years. It was weeks before i pushed the 'buy' button but never looked back.
Pulled out some spicy lamb meatballs from the freezer that would have beed sausage
but ran out of casing last grind.

Cleaning out the freezer and found some smoked tomatillo, garlic, hot and sweet peppers for a sauce. And a another pack of frozen sliced heirlooms. Pulled off some of that sauce for tomato soup tomorrow. yum.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A good #22 is to die for, with the right horse power they will swallow a hog at a time.
In a matter of about a minute I found a new wall outlet in the shed and back in business.
This one has a nice little light on it to tell you it is on.
Worth
IMG_20160522_1070.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; May 22, 2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Phone thinks TBE is THE.LOL
Old May 22, 2016   #4
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I love your setup. What I would give to have a dedicated setup and not having to haul the grinder and stuffed out of the closet each time I make sausage or grind up a couple of chuck roasts for ground meat. I'm envious.
Old May 22, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
Worth, I love your setup. What I would give to have a dedicated setup and not having to haul the grinder and stuffed out of the closet each time I make sausage or grind up a couple of chuck roasts for ground meat. I'm envious.
Arlie the more dedicated places I have for things the less cluttered I will become.
I thought under the cabinets would be a good spot but it wasn't.
I had to drag the heavy 70 pound thing out to get stuff and would then leave that stuff out.
While in the shed I noticed I have a dead rat in there some place.

Notice with all of the shelves I have put up there is no shelf under the bench.
I have from experience noticed they become a dusty catch all place for things.
I have two in the shed that are like this lord only knows what is under them.
Probably that dead rat.
Worth
Old May 22, 2016   #6
tnc070911
Tomatovillian™

Nice set up there....
tnc070911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, I'll be asking you about how to install a ground fault receptacle. I will be replacing a wall in our bathroom and there is no plug in there. (Not today - I'll forget between now and then.)

A 220 hotplate? I looked them up, and hmm, I didn't know they made them. I even found some that are pretty cheap.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Worth, I'll be asking you about how to install a ground fault receptacle. I will be replacing a wall in our bathroom and there is no plug in there. (Not today - I'll forget between now and then.)

A 220 hotplate? I looked them up, and hmm, I didn't know they made them. I even found some that are pretty cheap.
Follow instructions if you can find them in English.
But yes I will be around to answer it.

Worth
Old May 22, 2016   #9
oakley
Tomatovillian™

A good #22 is to die for, with the right horse power they will swallow a hog at a time.

I'd say an adjustment in prep. It is zippy. Yet easier to keep everything ice cold, rotate
the different meats. Take a break, have a beer, and prep seasonings. Gets way ahead of me compared to the old loud clunker.
I'm looking for a restaurant type counter surplus for my grinding. I have a cheap 20buck
stainless counter in the garage from Ikea. But this will be found with patience. I don't need much sink but could fix a drain easy enough. Counter space is more important.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 9.20.34 PM.png (103.9 KB, 146 views)
Old May 22, 2016   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post

I'd say an adjustment in prep. It is zippy. Yet easier to keep everything ice cold, rotate
the different meats. Take a break, have a beer, and prep seasonings. Gets way ahead of me compared to the old loud clunker.
I'm looking for a restaurant type counter surplus for my grinding. I have a cheap 20buck
stainless counter in the garage from Ikea. But this will be found with patience. I don't need much sink but could fix a drain easy enough. Counter space is more important.

I was looking on line for counter tops stainless and all.

I do have a big stainless sink right to the right of this counter top.
Plus more hot and cold faucets to the left where the washer used to be.
Then I remembered I have a solid black slate lab grade counter top in the shed with back splash.
I went and measured it and it is 4 feet long and 31 inches deep.
The thing weighs about 200 pounds or more.
What I will do is lay one foot of solid Oak flooring I have on the stuffer end and set the slate on the grinder end.
I will need to replace the stick legs with some 4X4 Douglas fir.
This will narrow my walkway by 7 inches but it will be fine and it is free.
Don't ask where I scrounge up this stuff.

After thought.
I could easily move the lathe back 7 inches to accommodate the space.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; May 22, 2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old May 23, 2016   #11
imp
Tomatovillian™

Watch auctions for used stainless restaurant equipment- it can be had at about 1/3 or less of the full prices.

If I have my way later and can afford to do so, will be replacing what little counter I have in the kitchen with such tables. Much easier to clean.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2016   #12
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Follow instructions if you can find them in English.
But yes I will be around to answer it.

Worth
Is a 220 hot plate really needed for canning? I just bought a good 110 hot plate,I hope it's good enough.
I have a grinder similar to yours but I think it's a size or two larger. I grind meat for the cats and throw in the bones so I needed something powerful. I burned up my Kitchen Aid and a less expensive stand alone grinder before getting my LEM.
I love that stainless steel sink counter! Wish I had a spot to put that. I might consider it for the barn come to think of it.
I'm planning on making a sink/table think for cleaning fish and butchering chickens one of these days. This would be for outdoors.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Is a 220 hot plate really needed for canning? I just bought a good 110 hot plate,I hope it's good enough.
I have a grinder similar to yours but I think it's a size or two larger. I grind meat for the cats and throw in the bones so I needed something powerful. I burned up my Kitchen Aid and a less expensive stand alone grinder before getting my LEM.
I love that stainless steel sink counter! Wish I had a spot to put that. I might consider it for the barn come to think of it.
I'm planning on making a sink/table think for cleaning fish and butchering chickens one of these days. This would be for outdoors.
I'm sure the 110-120 will be fine.
There is no real advantage to the 220-240 other than wire size for the same amount of wattage/amps.
The idea that 220/240 cost less to run is a myth.
It doesn't matter if you are pulling 10 amps down one wire or 5 amps down two wires, the meter sees it the same.
The difference is with 220/240 you can use a smaller wire as I said.
Some of the places I worked they would inspect good extension cords if they had a cut in the insulation they would cut the cord in half and throw it away.
These are high dollar 12 gauge cords of the highest quality.
I would take them home put new ends on them and use them.
One of them was the right size/length to power up my lathe.
Actually over sized.
If you need to run an extension cord to your hot plate make darn sure you use a 12 gauge cord no longer than it needs to be.
This will keep you safe and happy.

My number 22 grinder has a 1 1/2 horse motor with reverse the LEM #22 is a 1 horse motor with no reverse.
They are both good grinders.
I really like the revers feature.
Old May 23, 2016   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I have the one hp Weston with reverse. Only used reverse once in the few months we've had it but handy to know it is there.

Freezer is thinning out from last Fall/Winter crops and bulk cooking. Time for another grind session. We do burgers first, then lamb for sausage, (the skinny miguerez style)sp
then the pork mix for a spicy Italian, then the whole thighs with the bones for the pups food. I run a carrot through between each meat type.
What used to take a couple hours is now a 20 min process.

We have a welded steel frame, counter height, with an upper shelf, on the deck just outside the kitchen
but the stainless with built in backlash would be dreamy. I passed up some free lab slate a few year ago but passed since things seem to fall in our laps like you and storage is alway an issue. Not to mention the weight.

Envious of your workspace and its well planned 'tidiness'. Always a struggle finding room for things. We must have a dozen staple guns somewhere because if we can't find one we just go buy another...
Old May 23, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have two staple guns and can never see both of them at the same time.
I finally bought enough nail clippers I cant go anywhere without finding some.

Worth