Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2017   #2671
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone want some Rebel Alliance MF heart seeds?

Barb, I would love some of those Chocolate lightening seeds too. Kay turned me on to Dwarf Beauty King and I loved it so very much, thank you a thousand times, Kay.
I am sending Ginny some Rebel Alliance seeds, it's the multiflora with ribbed brown heart shaped cherries, and almost every blossom sets, but it takes 3 waves for the truss to produce all it's fruit. Love the taste, combo of Zluta Kytice X Not Purple Strawberry.
Would anyone else reading this thread like me to send them some? No SASE needed, just PM me your addy.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #2672
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I have far too many tomato varieties to grow already this year, but since you feel this strongly about Rebel Alliance, I think it is something I should grow this year.
PM sent and thanks again!
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #2673
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Marsha, I have far too many tomato varieties to grow already this year, but since you feel this strongly about Rebel Alliance, I think it is something I should grow this year.
PM sent and thanks again!
Dutch
My pleasure Dutch.

Barb- want any? Kay?Ella?
Old March 29, 2017   #2674
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I am so glad you share my love for Beauty King. I was so impressed with it that I just could not stop raving about it and wanted as many people as possible to try it. I would like to get the seeds for my fall garden since you rate it so highly.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #2675
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
My pleasure Dutch.

Barb- want any? Kay?
I have to check but I may have them from your SASE offering.

Got you covered on the Chocolate Lightning. Haven't fermented seeds yet cause I've been eating those tomatoes. Early too - Boronia hasn't even started blushing yet.

I'm so glad I grew Chocolate Lightning; the picture on Victory Seeds wasn't pleasing.

Other DP dwarfs - TastyWine - Very stingy so far with the maters.

Picked Lots of MatSu-Express the last day or two - I will try to post a pic on the Matsu Express thread.

Another good one I'm growing is SkyReacher in case anyone wants seeds. Very prolific and perfect looking tomatoes; not too big either.

Kay -I'm growing Beauty King again this spring. Picked several already.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #2676
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

It is so much fun reading this thread. Most of the time I do not even post anything, just enjoy reading. Learning lots as well. And nice to see this warm atmosphere between all of you.
Plus great pictures. Keep them coming.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #2677
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Good to have a special thread for Florida

Since Florida has a climate so different from the typical temperate climes most Floridians come from, it is wonderful to have one specifically for Florida. I am learning a lot. I was a whiz at growing tomatoes and lots of other things in Michigan, but not so much in Florida.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #2678
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
Since Florida has a climate so different from the typical temperate climes most Floridians come from, it is wonderful to have one specifically for Florida. I am learning a lot. I was a whiz at growing tomatoes and lots of other things in Michigan, but not so much in Florida.
That is why I am reading it now, before moving (hopefully one day).

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #2679
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

It can be challenging to garden in Florida especially when you have grown in other places with less disease and insect issues. But once you have adapted you gardening routines and realize with some planning there is not a single day you can walk out to garden and harvest something. It may not always be your preference but having fresh grown food year around is a plus. Having this group to get input from people that have grown here for years gives you a great head start on growing in Florida. I have grown in Florida for decades and I still learn new things from this group.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #2680
Merridiel
Tomatovillian™

I haven't posted much because I haven't really had anything to say. I've just been here to read and learn. But today was a good gardening day, so I have pictures. The wind is really kicking today, so I brought in anything that was starting to change color and figured I'd let it ripen indoors. I didn't want to lose it if anything gets knocked down.

Today's harvest. Mostly tomatoes with a few tomatillos and an eggplant mixed in. Top left are bosque blue bumblebee, with one blue berry below it. Top middle were supposed to be chocolate cherry but, lol, well. Chocolate not-cherries. Below and to the left of them is, well, I don't know what it is, actually. It was labeled Sarandipity but didn't come out looking like it. It's tasty, though. Bottom left is an applegreen eggplant. A few giant green tomatillos. And on the right are Fahrenheit blues.

Chocolate not-cherries:

Fahrenheit blues. I gave up on trying to watch if they turned from green to red because there was just too much blue to really see it. I started squeezing them like they say to do to green-when-ripe tomatoes instead.

Purple oxalis. I just planted these bulbs 3 weeks ago. The little flowers are so pretty!

Chinese artichokes (crosnes) sprouting:

Last pictures, flowers and berries on my strawberry tree (aka Jamaican cherry or cotton candy berry bush):

Last edited by Merridiel; March 31, 2017 at 03:09 PM.
Merridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #2681
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Merridiel, great photos!
I got what was supposed to be chocolate cherry, but looked just like that. Bought from an eBay vendor, before I learned my lesson. It tasted mealy and disgusting, I cut the plant down. I wonder if yours will be that same gross taste. I have real chocolate cherry seed if you would like some, and I can send them to you along with Kiss The Sky, a fantastic purple large cherry with great taste and great vigorous growth and production. KTS is a stable outgrow of Purple Haze F1, the stabilization was done by our own Tatiana K.
Cool to know the name of Purple Oxalis, my neighbor has them growing in the yard, and keeps mowing over them. I will ask if I can dig some up, they don't seem bothered by nematode soil.
Old March 31, 2017   #2682
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb, I would love some of those Chocolate lightening seeds too. Kay turned me on to Dwarf Beauty King and I loved it so very much, thank you a thousand times, Kay.
I am sending Ginny some Rebel Alliance seeds, it's the multiflora with ribbed brown heart shaped cherries, and almost every blossom sets, but it takes 3 waves for the truss to produce all it's fruit. Love the taste, combo of Zluta Kytice X Not Purple Strawberry.
Would anyone else reading this thread like me to send them some? No SASE needed, just PM me your addy.
Marsha,

I got the seeds today. Thank you so much!! I'm starting a couple of seeds today to try to see if I can protect them through the summer... :-)

So excited!!

Thank you for being so generous with all of your seeds. :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #2683
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
It can be challenging to garden in Florida especially when you have grown in other places with less disease and insect issues. But once you have adapted you gardening routines and realize with some planning there is not a single day you can walk out to garden and harvest something. It may not always be your preference but having fresh grown food year around is a plus. Having this group to get input from people that have grown here for years gives you a great head start on growing in Florida. I have grown in Florida for decades and I still learn new things from this group.
Well said! I totally agree.... :-)

Ginny
Old March 31, 2017   #2684
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merridiel View Post
I haven't posted much because I haven't really had anything to say. I've just been here to read and learn. But today was a good gardening day, so I have pictures. The wind is really kicking today, so I brought in anything that was starting to change color and figured I'd let it ripen indoors. I didn't want to lose it if anything gets knocked down.

Today's harvest. Mostly tomatoes with a few tomatillos and an eggplant mixed in. Top left are bosque blue bumblebee, with one blue berry below it. Top middle were supposed to be chocolate cherry but, lol, well. Chocolate not-cherries. Below and to the left of them is, well, I don't know what it is, actually. It was labeled Sarandipity but didn't come out looking like it. It's tasty, though. Bottom left is an applegreen eggplant. A few giant green tomatillos. And on the right are Fahrenheit blues.

Chocolate not-cherries:

Fahrenheit blues. I gave up on trying to watch if they turned from green to red because there was just too much blue to really see it. I started squeezing them like they say to do to green-when-ripe tomatoes instead.

Purple oxalis. I just planted these bulbs 3 weeks ago. The little flowers are so pretty!

Chinese artichokes (crosnes) sprouting:

Last pictures, flowers and berries on my strawberry tree (aka Jamaican cherry or cotton candy berry bush):

Merridiel,

Is it challenging to grow tomatillos here? Love the pictures!

Ginny
Old March 31, 2017   #2685
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I dont have any new interesting tomato pictures right now but I do have a purple garden this spring.... :-) Pentunias, Foxglove, Salvia, Lavender, and Pansies. I dont know what the tiny white flowers are though

Ginny