Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2017   #16
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Update:

I did something this morning that I probably shouldn't have. I pruned my determinates, lol. EEK!

Well, I know this means I will lose some tomatoes but I want to make sure my plants get plenty of air flow, so I just went ahead and did it. It hurt, but I pruned all of my tomatoes, except my little tiny baby Homestead I am bringing back to life after some animal decided to taste each stem, and left me with only one sticking out of the soil, and no leaves at all in sight. It has branched off the sides and is doing well, just much smaller and will put out fruit much later than the other Homestead I planted. Or, maybe I won't get anything at all, this is a test of who is the most stubborn, me or the plant!

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #17
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

My basil seed I sowed on March 22nd now has the first two leaves. Waiting for the bell pepper seeds I sowed the same day. I also sowed basil and bell pepper seeds on the 23rd, so waiting on those as well. I have all of my March 2017 seeds ready to go for sowing tomorrow.

It rained pretty hard this morning so I am letting things dry up a bit before I start in tomorrow. I'll be transplanting the rosemary into a 5 gallon bucket tomorrow as well. The garden is on it's way, and it feels good, my heart is full.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 1, 2017   #18
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Update once again:

Well, I am officially butt kicked to the moon and back. Finished up all the soil mixing, sowed lots more seeds today. Have a lot of premixed soil ready to use when needed and should not need to do any mixing for at least one year, Yay for that! Now it's on to working my tail off to keep the garden going.

I discovered two bell peppers in the same sowed spot, so that means 100% germination of the seeds. I only planted two seeds there with the basil and tomatoes. Found a new basil with it first leaves as well, still waiting on the third basil and two of the bell peppers. Yay! I am so excited for a garden this year.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 2, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All I can say is I never thought of you as gone I dont know what else to say.
I am glad you are getting to garden.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #20
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
All I can say is I never thought of you as gone I dont know what else to say.
I am glad you are getting to garden.

Worth
LOL, well I have been gone for a long time. But, I do remember us having some chats along the way!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 5, 2017   #21
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I slept late today, I've been in a lot of pain from this garden, just woke about an hour ago and the temp outside is 71 degrees with 31% humidity. The wind is blowing about 20 miles per hour, what a beautiful day it is. Took a look around the garden while I watered and found a few more things coming up from the seeding I did the other day. One of my tomatoes looks like it's having some sort of problem, seems weak on the stem. But it's very green, with lots of flowers and it has not too wet, but moist soil. So, I will keep and eye on it. The winds are high today at around 20 mph so it could be the wind is kicking it's butt.

My row of Alaska Peas is coming up, I planted ten holes, 5 are coming in so far this morning. I have zinnia's and marigolds coming up, and all of my bell peppers have come up. Still waiting on one of my basil to come up. I might need to plant in that area again because seems it should have come up a few days ago. I might seed some sort of flowers there instead of basil, or another herb of some kind to bring the bees to the tomatoes. Need to look at what tomato and bells are happy with.

It feels so good to have a garden going, it's been such a let down the last few years that this has really lifted my spirit. I've got all kinds of anole's in the garden, saw a beautiful butterfly the other day and that beautiful blue dragonfly was a nice treat. It's all coming along very well.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 5, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old April 6, 2017   #22
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Ha! Found another cut worm in my onions this morning. He's dead now

The dill is coming up, and something is eating my tomato leaves like crazy. In spite of using DE on them. Sprayed with soap oil mixture again, not seeing white flies but there are greenish flies that keep landing on my tomatoes, good guys or bad?

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 9, 2017   #23
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

So, I sprayed the garden with neem this morning for bugs and fungus, I also sprayed bt to get ahead of the horn worms I know are coming. I have seen numerous moths out there. We will be getting a lot of rain the next 10 days or so, it'll be nice to be ahead of the mildew on the plants.

What other spray should I use in between the rain deluge when it is just cooler out, but no rain?

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 9, 2017   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Daconil or how ever it is spelled.
Worth
Old April 9, 2017   #25
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Daconil or how ever it is spelled.
Worth
Daconil, is correct , I think. But it is just a fungicide. But Neem is triple action : Fungicide, Insecticide and Miticide. I alternate Daconil and Neem. I will do a round with Neem tomorrow.
Well, yeah . It is also organic.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #26
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Daconil, is correct , I think. But it is just a fungicide. But Neem is triple action : Fungicide, Insecticide and Miticide. I alternate Daconil and Neem. I will do a round with Neem tomorrow.
Well, yeah . It is also organic.
Thanks, both of you. I just purchased some copper fungicide, so you think I don't need it? I sprayed Garden safe Neem today on the garden, can I spray it after a rain too? If so, I'll take it back.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 10, 2017   #27
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Found this in one of my garden beds today. It's surrounding one of my french marigolds and I suppose it comes from the supposed Hapi Gro 100% compost that is really just wood chips. I can't believe they call that stuff compost. Anyway, pretty sure it is breaking down the wood chips in my soil mix.

Wolf's Milk Slime Mold-Mine is the tan colored one (image #6) and is very smooth at this time. Of course it wasn't there last night so definitely a young one.

http://www.messiah.edu/oakes/fungi_o...epidendrum.htm

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 10, 2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old April 10, 2017   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Never seen that before I have a strange black suet charcoal looking fungus in the yard on wood.
Looks like the 4th of July snake stuff after it has burned.

Worth
Old April 15, 2017   #29
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

The wolfs milk slime mold is almost black now and seems to be getting a bit smaller. The marigold it's around seems to be suffering for it too.

So I used the copper fungicide yesterday to prepare for the rain we are supposed to get tomorrow but ran out. I had a 32 oz ready to spray bottle and it didn't go far enough. They did not have concentrate at any of the stores around me so I bought some daconil concentrate at lowe's yesterday. I also returned the hand sprayer I bought because it doesn't mist, it puts out this very wide spray and was spraying everything in it's path. I only wanted to do the tomatoes, so I bought another sprayer, a 2 gallon Decks and More that says it has a fine mist nozzle with it.

Hopefully it will work properly and I can take care of the two tomato plants tonight I didn't get with the copper yesterday. I'm telling you, gardening around here is a nightmare, I guess they don't think we all need to garden.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 16, 2017   #30
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Rockporter, it is exciting to have you back and read how much fun you are having in your garden. It is good for the soul, no matter how much or little you can do. Still waiting for our cold rainy season to end and warm weather to start here in Oregon. Everyone is behind on gardening chores. Stop hogging all the sunshine down there!!