Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 22, 2017   #16
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Mediums have varying efficiencies on important factors like nutrient transfer and fert/salt build-up. For container growing my best advice would be, 1) decide a nutrient program and delivery method, 2) a medium to best support it, 3) and then a container sized to the type plant and how you plan to grow it.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2017   #17
4season
Tomatovillian™

I like Ferti.lome ultimate potting mix, have used it for a few years now. Last year Costco had MG organic moisture control mix for sale and I picked up a couple bags. I am back to Ferti.lome but Lowes has the Pro mix line so I may try a bag or 2.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2017   #18
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The only soilless mix I absolutely stay away from (so far) has been any of the moisture control mixes. Complete failure with that type.
Old January 22, 2017   #19
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

i have tried the pennington product from wm, and not overly impressed, seemed like a lot of cardboard confetti. never heard of, or seen this stuff. looks "o.k." from afar (your pic), i'm sure it will be fine.

? why are there different mixes for different part of the country. that seems odd to me, seems like a potted plant would require the same across the world.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2017   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

They just use the cheapest industrial by-products that are locally available. Plants are quite forgiving to different mixes, if the mixes are well-made. If we lived in the tropics and there were waste product coconut shells everywhere, we'd all have coir in our mixes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2017   #21
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
They just use the cheapest industrial by-products that are locally available. Plants are quite forgiving to different mixes, if the mixes are well-made. If we lived in the tropics and there were waste product coconut shells everywhere, we'd all have coir in our mixes.
makes cents Cole, thx. see that cajun got his bag from Geo, so maybe has the geo mix. figure a LA mix would have crawfish tails, ground oyster shell and a dash of hot sauce.

i know that peat moss down here is higher than a cat's back. probably constitutes the expense of alot of potting mix price.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2017   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Last year in HD I saw a torn MG Organic Garden/raised bed soil. I thought it was better than a lot of potting mix, structurally. Just add/mix a little more peat moss to it and take out some of the big chunks.
Most potting mixes are mostly peat moss with a dash of perlite. You can do better by just buying peat moss, add/mix some pine bark fine/mulch and some perlite ( 15 to 20%). Your cost should be no more than 30 cents per gallon or about $3 per cu-ft. even if not cheaper it is better.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #23
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Left off Quote, see below...

Last edited by JohnJones; January 25, 2017 at 12:05 AM.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #24
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
It is normally cheaper to buy potting mix from a nursery supply company. If you have one local you can get much better mix for better prices than home improvement stores/Wal-Mart. They usually sell to anyone, not just businesses.
I 2nd, 3rd and 4th this advice. Spent years using Big Box mixes for container growing and then bought a loader scoop of container mix from my local, well thought of Garden store two years ago. It was a revelation! All my tomatoes just jumped compared to my previous experience.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #25
agee12
Tomatovillian™

@Rajun Gardener,
Have you planted in this mix? How's it going?

Last edited by agee12; March 27, 2017 at 04:35 AM.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #26
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I used it for a project at work (potting up basil seedlings from a coir pellet) and the seedlings did better initially than my expensive mix at home. One note was that the container was a small shallow styro bowl, so the roots didn't have to dig too far in this heavy mix.

Would not buy it for myself. Look at the weight on the package.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #27
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I too stay away from bargain mixes. I like Aurora Organics 707. At the local hydro store my guy Carl sells 3 cubic foot bags for 22 bucks. Its hard to beat his price for high end soil.
Good stuff! I have a 2 yr old Ghost Pepper plant that's been living in 707. If I could get it that cheap, I'd have far more container plants.

I always bump my seedlings into Roots Organics Original. Super healthy mixes.

Last edited by Randall; April 6, 2017 at 09:01 AM.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote