Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2012   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default "Mythbuster's Challenge" Tomatoville-style - Odoriko vs. Momotaro

This year, I grew both F1 Hybrid Momotaro, as well as the F1 Odoriko. Both are top sellers in Japan with the Odoriko reported to grow out a bit larger:

The Momotaro plant is on the left, Odoriko on the right:

Some of the Momotaro:

In visually comparing the two, they appear very similar except for their overall size:

(Momotaro on the left)

The Momotaro are averaging about 4 ounces, while Odoriko are clocking in at about 6.5 ounces:

Odoriko is more of the small beefsteak which is the size I prefer on a BLT:

From a taste perspective, Odoriko was less sweet versus Momotaro. That, plus about equal fruit production per plant, but with about a 30% increase in size would steer me to growing Odoriko, if I had only one planting hole left. Of course, BOTH Momotaro and Odoriko will return next Season in the same EarthTainer.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012   #2
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Excellent report with beautiful photos Raybo! Thanks for the info!!
Old July 24, 2012   #3
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ray, how would you compare flavor and texture against other favorites, such as Goose Creek, BWC, BW, MARNAR, etc? And did they handle disease, stress, and all better than the true heirlooms?
Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

I still have not developed a "palate" sensitive enough to discern subtleties in tomato varieties, to any great degree. Having said that, I can tell you that for example the WBF Solar Flare, while I enjoy one slice, is not a variety I would pick for a BLT.

Momotaro as well as Odoriko on the other hand, are quite appropriate for my BLT, as is MarNar, B.F.C., Stump Of The World, etc. Individual taste obviously varies from person to person - but in my garden, Momotaro and now Odoriko will be permanent "guest occupants" in their EarthTainer "Condos" every Season.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ray, the translation of Momotaro is "tough boy", which always amuses me, so do you know the translation of Odoriko? The good folks at Kitawaza should be able to help on that one. Maybe "semi-tough boy", maybe "tough girl"?

Also, I've seen reference to an OP version of Momotaro from time to time, don't ask me where b'c I don't remember. Do you know anything about that OP version?
Old July 24, 2012   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

momotaro is a favorite of mine. glad to see it worked out in the earthtainer for you. i might have to get my hands on some Odoriko now

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #7
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray. I understand. I can't always pick out subtleties of flavor either. I am able to get an impression of taste over a season harvest and from that derive some kind of personal enjoyment factor. I think growing in ground might expose some measure of terroir, which in its sum might impart subtleties from things like mineral content, sun exposure, etc.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #8
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

I had the same results in that Odoriko was definitely larger and maybe a little earlier than Momotaro. I couldn't tell any taste difference though; they both tasted fantastic.
Old July 24, 2012   #9
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Ray, the translation of Momotaro is "tough boy", which always amuses me, so do you know the translation of Odoriko? The good folks at Kitawaza should be able to help on that one. Maybe "semi-tough boy", maybe "tough girl"?

Also, I've seen reference to an OP version of Momotaro from time to time, don't ask me where b'c I don't remember. Do you know anything about that OP version?
I've seen that translation too, but it doesn't seem right to me.

As far as I know, Momotaro translates to "Peach boy". Momotaro is the hero of a Japanese myth and was born from a peach to parents who prayed for a child. More adventures followed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momotar%C5%8D

Momotaro was a very tough guy, but he was "Peach boy". lol!

Will be growing this one next year!
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I've seen that translation too, but it doesn't seem right to me.

As far as I know, Momotaro translates to "Peach boy". Momotaro is the hero of a Japanese myth and was born from a peach to parents who prayed for a child. More adventures followed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momotar%C5%8D

Momotaro was a very tough guy, but he was "Peach boy". lol!

Will be growing this one next year!
OK, Momotaro was born from a peach pit , I didn't know that, so let's call Momotaro, the tomato, Peach Boy.
Old July 24, 2012   #11
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

This is making me think of the Roald Dahl story "James and the Giant Peach"
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #12
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

After reading this thread, I had to impulse-purchase Odoriko on Amazon. $6.69 + free shipping. yeah!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #13
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Try growing Eva Purple Ball alongside it and see if you can taste any difference. I grew EPB and Momotaro last year and couldn't tell them apart in either looks or taste.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #14
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Some growers in N. California do sell Momataro as "Peach Boy"

I don't know if it is because they want an English name, or they are being cagey about what variety they are selling (It has been used in dry-farming as a replacement for Early Girl, in part because of an aversion to Early Girl now that the variety is owned by a Monsanto company).

Quote:
OK, Momotaro was born from a peach pit , I didn't know that, so let's call Momotaro, the tomato, Peach Boy.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #15
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I have a couple OP lines selected from Momataro -- I selected a small beefsteak OP Momataro, similar in shape and size to Odoriko. The flavor is very similar to the F1 hybrid, and the plants are similarly vigorous.

Quote:

Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote