Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 23, 2014   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default (Lithium Sunset x Pink Boar) x Hippie Zebra

Another of my many crosses involving Lithium Sunset (a great striped line developed by Fred Hempel). I think it has the coolest stripes around.
I'll admit the basis of this cross was taking three tomatoes with cool stripes and crossing them - looking for cool stripes!
The fact that all three of the parents are very worthy taste wise, gives me faith that I'll see great taste out of this line long term. All of these seg's had average taste (though an EXCEPTIONALLY wet summer left a lot of my fruit weak-tasting)

In the mean time --

FY 2-2. Cool stripes for sure. Has the "waxed" look of Hippie Zebra

FY 2-7

I have some extra F2 seeds from these available if anyone wants into the "cool stripes" game. I'll probably also donate some to Carolyn's "experimental" offering.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014   #2
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to get into the 'cool stripes' game if you'd send some F2s - include any others you think are interesting you'd like tried. Happy to report and return seed if wanted. I'll pm you my address and send SASE if you want one.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #3
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Seeds arrived today. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2015   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Well it happened again! I planted 2 seeds of F2 (lithium sunset×pink boar)×hippie zebra and bam one RL and PL. Were your F1's RL or PL?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have some extra F2 seeds from these available if anyone wants into the "cool stripes" game. I'll probably also donate some to Carolyn's "experimental" offering.

&&&&

And here are the crosses that Paddy has donated for my Experimental section, and for each cross he's given a detailed description of what to look for, or not.

Ernie's Plump XCoyote F3

Steelhead ( Brandywine X Ananas Noir) F2

BeautyKing X Indigo Rose XWild Thyme GWR) F1 X KBX X Siberian Tiger F2 to F1 seeds

Lithium Sunset X Pink Boar X Cherokee Lime Stripes F2

Lithium Sunset X Indigo Rose F3

I may have missed something in the above, since it was from something I copied to my notebook, not a cut and paste from Paddy's original e-mail to me.

I had planned to put these 4 crosses in my experimental section for my 2015 seed offer which usually goes up in early january, but for medical reasons I couldn't do it, but still plan to put up that whole seed offer in early summer if the WORD doc changes go OK and if the transfer to Tville goes OK,

Paddy,thanks so very much for sending me those seeds so that those who select one or more will be able to get them out to the public.

Carolyn
Old March 25, 2015   #6
snugglekitten
BANNED

Hypnotizing, thanks for sharing.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #7
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Well it happened again! I planted 2 seeds of F2 (lithium sunset×pink boar)×hippie zebra and bam one RL and PL. Were your F1's RL or PL?
The F1's were RL, but the PL you're seeing is from Hipple Zebra. Grow 'em both! ;-)

Last edited by PaddyMc; March 28, 2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old March 28, 2015   #8
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

&&&&

And here are the crosses that Paddy has donated for my Experimental section, and for each cross he's given a detailed description of what to look for, or not.

Ernie's Plump XCoyote F3

Steelhead ( Brandywine X Ananas Noir) F2

BeautyKing X Indigo Rose XWild Thyme GWR) F1 X KBX X Siberian Tiger F2 to F1 seeds

Lithium Sunset X Pink Boar X Cherokee Lime Stripes F2

Lithium Sunset X Indigo Rose F3

I may have missed something in the above, since it was from something I copied to my notebook, not a cut and paste from Paddy's original e-mail to me.

I had planned to put these 4 crosses in my experimental section for my 2015 seed offer which usually goes up in early january, but for medical reasons I couldn't do it, but still plan to put up that whole seed offer in early summer if the WORD doc changes go OK and if the transfer to Tville goes OK,

Paddy,thanks so very much for sending me those seeds so that those who select one or more will be able to get them out to the public.

Carolyn
Whatever happens to those seeds doesn't matter to me as long as you continue to get better Carolyn. I'll be happy to answer any additional questions about those crosses if/when they go out.
Old April 5, 2015   #9
loeb
Tomatovillian™

What do you look for in Ernie's Plump x Coyote? looks interesting to me
And a Wild Thyme Cross is so complex It has to segregate like crazy.. lots of fun.
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #10
jbond007
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn
I would love to get into the 'cool stripes' game if you still have F2 seeds available. This year I've stuck to the stable Red Boars, Black & Brown Boar, Pink Berkeley tie-Dye, Red Zebra...
jbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond007 View Post
I would love to get into the 'cool stripes' game if you still have F2 seeds available. This year I've stuck to the stable Red Boars, Black & Brown Boar, Pink Berkeley tie-Dye, Red Zebra...
Paddy did donate 4 different crosses for the Experimental Section of my annual seed offer, and I listed them above, and yes, I will be offering them sometime in early summer, normally they would have been offered in early Jan of 2015 but for medocal reasons I couldn't do it then.

Lots of stripe possibilities from the ones I listed above of paddy's.

And if this summer goes well for my seed producers the 2016 total offer should be up in early jan of 2016.

Carolyn
Old May 2, 2015   #12
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately, I'm out right now (I sent out quite a few, and planted a LOT to select for the most vigorous). I'll post up the results in the fall, and I'd be happy to send you seeds of the next gen then.
Old September 1, 2015   #13
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Starting to ripen a few of these. I'll post taste reports etc. later in the season

L 4-2

L 4-5

L 4-7

This line has thrown a few surprise pinks, some with very subtle striping
Old September 1, 2015   #14
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Paddy,
Nice work. I really like the look of that big pink.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2015   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I agree! Really nice work and interesting to see what has developed. While they are all nice, I really like L 4-7.

Paddy.. Have you grown Banded Amazon yet? It has lots and lots of stripping and when the sun shines on the tomatoes it gives them a metallic look. I wonder what you might get if you crossed BA with your L 4- 2.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote