Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old December 11, 2011   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default increased yields after 5-6 years of growing organically?

Has anyone else noticed a "tipping point" at about year 5 or 6 of gardening organically?

This week at my local garden group, we talked about our best and worst crops. Everyone except me said tomatoes were the most disappointing crop this year! There were only 6 other people, and I don't think anyone else planted quite as many plants as I did, but I've been growing about the same number of plants (fewer this year, in fact) in the same place, and this was a great tomato year for me (for the seedlings I bought in mid-April, not so much for the seeds I started in mid-May).

I've had my best yields ever in the past couple years, and the only thing I did differently 2 years ago was to start adding a handful of alfalfa meal to the hole before planting. I had a later than usual start this year, and I still got a great crop.

I never got large tomatoes until 2 years ago, either -- no matter what I planted, I got at most medium-size tomatoes, and very few tomatoes from those plants. So for several years my strategy was to plant cherry and small tomatoes to ensure a yield.

The other possible factor is that I've had this garden plot for 8 years, adding my own compost to it every year, so it may have reached a point where the soil is optimum. (On the other hand, my tomatoes got hit with late blight for the first time this year, but it's a community garden, so it spreads fast and there's no way to avoid it.)

I read somewhere that a study of organic vs. conventional farming showed that by year 5, organic yields can surpass conventional yields, especially in drought years or if the weather is wacky.

One other factor is the experience of the gardener, but I don't think I suddenly knew a lot more 2 years ago.

So I'm also wondering this: if I get garden space elsewhere (in addition to or instead of my current plot), will it take 5 years to build it up?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I think it depends on what kind of soil you have to start with. If you luck out and get a new plot that already has good soil structure and a good PH, you would already be ahead of the game.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #3
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I think it depends on what kind of soil you have to start with. If you luck out and get a new plot that already has good soil structure and a good PH, you would already be ahead of the game.
I'll second that!

Old December 12, 2011   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget that the gardener got educated in those 5 or so years.

As a heads up, there are some excellent late blight tolerant varieties on the way.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #5
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

I second Darjones...seems like like allot of organic folks forget that science is the driving factor behind all farming conventional or organic...no magic as far as I know. A firm understanding of science in one way or another is what leads to sucess.
-d
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #6
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

You with the aid of sound soil science can get top yeilds from year 1!
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote