Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 17, 2023   #1
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Default Garrote Bicolor Aracenes - color?

Okay, I know this sounds like a trick question, but what color are Garrote Bicolor Aracenes tomatoes? It sounds like they should be bicolor, but the few photos I've found seem to show a plain red or pink tomato. I don't see anything that looks like bicolor, even in photos of the cut fruit.

Any other feedback about this tomato also would be appreciated. I have seeds and am considering growing it this year, but there's a lot of competition in my seed box.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2023   #2
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Red/Pink it is, cannot recall any bicolour but our Spanish members would know it better than I. Large beefsteak, extremely tasty, well worth growing. A regular here since I started growing it.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2023   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Red/Pink?

I've never heard of that, in a bicolor. To me, red means red interior with yellow skin, and pink means red interior with clear skin.

Of the bicolors that I've seen, excluding the ones that get into the greens, browns, etc..., the interior is a mix of red and yellow, sometimes about an equal mix, other times almost none of the secondary color. A yellow skinned bicolor is usually called red and yellow, while a clear skinned bicolor may be called pink and yellow.

I usually only trial 2 or 3 bicolors a year. With really good weather, I wish to compare them to each other. But, in poor weather such as frequent heavy rains, bicolors, in my garden, are about as bad as a tomato can be, mushy and tasteless.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2023   #4
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Red/Pink?

I've never heard of that, in a bicolor. To me, red means red interior with yellow skin, and pink means red interior with clear skin.
I think Whwoz was just saying that Garrote Bicolor Aracenes is a single-color tomato (red or pink, unspecified), not a bicolor.
Old February 21, 2023   #5
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

From what I recall, and I have it growing currently it is a single color fruit, have not noticed any yellow inside. Received my seed direct from Nicolas Garcia here. have just checked notes from previous years, definitely red, single color. Very tasy wellworth the effort of growing, producing large beefsteaks pushing close to 2 pounds (859 grams) in the hands of someone here whom I passed a plant onto who has a bit more time (and a few less plants) to tend them than I have had. From memory it is 4 years straight that I have grown it.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2023   #6
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone, I would like to clarify the issue of the Aracena bicolor garrote.
Perhaps its name is not due to the fact that it has two colors, perhaps its meaning is that it is pink and red.
Many years ago a man said that he had a Spanish relic that came from his ancestors, the truth is that there are no more references and in the Spanish tomato forum he decided that among all of us we should give it a name and decide to give it that name, Aracenes is because it comes from Aracena (which is a Spanish municipality and town in the province of Huelva. It is located in the mountainous area to which it gives its name, Sierra de Aracena, which is part of Sierra Morena), the garrote and bicolor were more Give it a nice name... it's a tomato that I grow every year, it's the authentic Spanish heirloom tomato characteristic of a lifetime.

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2023   #7
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Some photos of the original photos from quite a few years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garrote.jpg (88.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg garrote 2.jpg (103.1 KB, 75 views)

Nico.
Old February 21, 2023   #8
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Some photos of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200315_114003.jpg (159.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200720_120017.jpg (127.6 KB, 75 views)

Nico.
Old February 21, 2023   #9
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Whwoz & NicolasGarcia, thank you both for the additional information and the pictures! That helps a lot. Looks like an excellent tomato; I'm going to try to find a spot for it this year.

I'm curious about the "Garrote" part of the name. The internet says it translates as club, stick or bludgeon, and as the stick used in executing someone by strangulation. (Word to the wise: don't look at the execution picture in the Wikipedia Garrote article.) Also parking brake or hand brake in cars. None of those things seems like inspiration for a tomato name. Is there another meaning?
Old February 21, 2023   #10
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default Garrote

It can refer to two definitions or more.Palo grueso y fuerte que se usa principalmente como bastón o para golpear con él
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baston.jpg (46.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Lucha_del_garrote_(fight_stick).jpg (192.1 KB, 73 views)

Nico.
Old February 21, 2023   #11
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Garrote's inspiration may be because it is a very large and robust plant

Nico.
Old February 21, 2023   #12
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasGarcia View Post
Garrote's inspiration may be because it is a very large and robust plant
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks. And I like the stick-fighting picture.
Old February 21, 2023   #13
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

The last two candidates were the names "Ancestral de Aracena" and "Garrote bicolor aracenes".

25/8/17

Nico.

Last edited by NicolasGarcia; February 21, 2023 at 01:31 PM. Reason: 25/8/17
Old February 27, 2023   #14
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps the pink and red refers to the exterior color being red, and the interior a lighter shade, being more pink?

I'm glad this is cleared up, as I have to inform several people it is not a "marbled" two-color interior variety.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2023   #15
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Perhaps the pink and red refers to the exterior color being red, and the interior a lighter shade, being more pink?

I'm glad this is cleared up, as I have to inform several people it is not a "marbled" two-color interior variety.
Exactly

Nico.