Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2023   #1
Todd69
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden myths

Has anyone listened to Joe Lamp'ls 3 part podcast series on garden myths? They discus things that we have all heard like "epsom salt" and his guest gives the real science about it and many other things. I found it very informative.

What is a garden myth that you have heard or tried?
Todd69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2023   #2
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd69 View Post
Has anyone listened to Joe Lamp'ls 3 part podcast series on garden myths? They discus things that we have all heard like "epsom salt" and his guest gives the real science about it and many other things. I found it very informative.

What is a garden myth that you have heard or tried?
Interesting; will check them out. Robert Pavlis has a "garden myths" website with some good information: https://www.gardenmyths.com/
I'm a skeptic by nature and tend to err too far on the side of NOT trying new things, so I generally don't get taken in by many garden myths but I may also be missing out on some good ideas.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2023   #3
Dak
Tomatovillian™

I've heard of a few, there's the bury the head of a fish beneath all your tomatoes, IDK, it's easier for me to source fish bone meal than to get fish heads, lol.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2023   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Re the fish one. I've tried it because we have a big pond right beside the veggie garden stocked with a few hundred goldfish and sometimes we get some die-off over the winter. My main concern was that animals might dig them up, along with my tomato plants, but all was well. I don't know if it made any difference though.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2023   #5
Todd69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaClay View Post
Interesting; will check them out. Robert Pavlis has a "garden myths" website with some good information: https://www.gardenmyths.com/
I'm a skeptic by nature and tend to err too far on the side of NOT trying new things, so I generally don't get taken in by many garden myths but I may also be missing out on some good ideas.
Dr Chalker is the person answering the garden myth questions and I learned a few things. I mentioned epsom salt because I over estimated their effectiveness.
Old February 10, 2023   #6
Todd69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Re the fish one. I've tried it because we have a big pond right beside the veggie garden stocked with a few hundred goldfish and sometimes we get some die-off over the winter. My main concern was that animals might dig them up, along with my tomato plants, but all was well. I don't know if it made any difference though.....Linda
Your concern about animals digging it up is exactly what she talked about. She also mentioned that it would take a very long time to break the fish down and probably wouldn't provide any benefits until the following year.