Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 14, 2006   #1
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Default Got Brandywine ?

I thought I would rename this thread so others can post their pics of all Brandywine tomatoes:

This is TGS:
Red Brandywine (Landis)

Great flavor, production, and disease tolerance
here in Central NJ~
Here is sliced fruit and leaf type (RL):

~ Tom

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #2
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

What size/weight is that tomato, Tom? It looks more like a salad-size ...
Old August 15, 2006   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

They've come out medium in size - around 8 - 10 ounces ... they are from TGS (Landis Strain) ...
I'm guessing I should look for a better source ehy ?

~ Tom
Old August 15, 2006   #4
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

My pink brandywine is just blushing. I will have to get a picture of it in a few days when its picked. That red looks really good though. My pink looks like it is going to be surpsingly productive. Most things this year have not been very productive at all for me besides the three I dont really care for ( Tigerella, Black Prince ? , Miracle Sweet ). My favourite so far has been Ponderosa and it has only given me one Tom and isnt close with any others yet and the plant is my most miserable looking. The Brandywine though has about 5 getting close to blushing or just started and it has a dozen more already baseball size. Caspian Pink which is beside it is also doing fairly well for a larger beefsteak and just developing some Blush as well. Brandywine and Cherokee Purple are the two that I have been really looking forward to trying so can't wait for the Brandy.
westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I'm really starting to doubt I have the real
Red Brandywine ... dang Brandywines !!!

~ Tom
Old August 16, 2006   #6
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

KC - Probably watering the garden in my boxers again. Seems to make the neighbours act a little odd towards me as well.

My pink is still a day or two away from being picked.
Old August 17, 2006   #7
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

waiting for pictures of that
pink mato !!!

~ Tom
Old August 18, 2006   #8
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Here she is. I had to pick them a bit early because of the Squirrels but they are probably only a day away from fully ripe as I am finding my tom's are having problems with green shoulders this year.

The first picture is Caspian Pink on the left and a Sweet 100 in between and a Pink Brandywine to the right.

This is just the bottom of the Brandywine. I am really looking forward to trying this one.

Old August 18, 2006   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

great growing !
how big is that BW ???

~ Tom
Old August 19, 2006   #10
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Close to the size of a softball and somewhere between 375 and 400 grams being close to around 385 ( 13.6 oz ). I have an antique scale only and I ran out of weights before getting an exact measure so sadly that's as good as it's going to get right now.
Old August 21, 2006   #11
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

wow ~ thats a good size ! lol ~
This is the pink one ? PL ?

~ Tom
Old August 21, 2006   #12
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Yea it is a nice size. The others on the plant all look roughly the same size and shape. I still haven't eaten it yet but most likely will at some point today or tomorrow. I also have a Cherokee Purple which needs eating. First ones of either variety for me!

The fruit is deffinetly pink. The photo doesn't capture the colour very well as the flash seems to have lit up the internal flesh making the tomato appear redder then it is. The plant is a PL and it is right next to my Caspian Pink which is a RL. The fruits are about the same in colour but the Caspians seems generally flatter and a bit larger ( Especially this one fused bloom which will easily be my first tomato over a pound). I ate a Caspian the other day. It was absolutely delicious. The flesh was firm and yet very creamy. The flavour was wonderful. Not very rich but at the sametime very complex and an extremely pleasent after taste. My younger brother was over at the time and he kept stealing slices which is not typical behaviour for him. I think in the end he got more then half the Tomato though ( I won't be cutting the Brandywine or Cherokee if he isn't safely in his apartment! )

I hope you have better luck finding yourself a real Brandywine for next year. I will have to report back to you on the flavour of this tomato ( especially compared to Caspian Pink ) a little later this week!

"You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt."~Unknown
Old August 21, 2006   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

People might be getting tired of seeing this picture. They're not even my tomatoes! These 2 beauties absolutely lived up to the hype. Thanks fliptx!!

Brandywine (Sudduth's)

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #14
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Nice photo Feldon ~
I need a pic of red brandywine,
with leaves if possible ...
I'm not 100% certain I have
the "right" one ~

Tom
Old August 25, 2006   #15
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Can't help you with a photo of a Red Brendywine but I can report back on flavour.

Today I tried Cherokee Purple and Pink Brandywine side by side to get a better idea of how I felt about them. For me Brandywine is the better tasting tomato and is likely to be grown again. Cherokee Purple right now didn't really do much for me. It isn't bad tasting ( Quite good actually ) and if its production was larger or it had some other great quality I would consider growing it again. So far though its production has been lower then my other large beefsteaks and it's disease resistance is also lower. I will most likely try it again in the future but right now it won't be back next year. Pink Brandywine though has produced better and tasted better and is much more likely to be back next year. It has been the second best in terms of disease tolerance with only Black Prince ( ? ) doing better for me. I like the heavy PL foliage I have had on it and I like the general look of the plant as well. That being said If memory serves me right I actually prefered the taste of Caspian Pink. I will though soon in the future have a slice of both in the same day to compare. Caspian Pink has also performed very well in my garden and has been very similar to Pink Brandywine in production,growth and disease tolerance ( It is however been consistently 50-150 Grams bigger then Brandywine) . I must honestly say though that Brandywines flavour didn't blow me away but it also did meet my expectations and I can see why it is loved. ( It was near perfect except the flavour seemed a tiny bit watered down). I do have many types I want to try next year though so it will be hard to decide on wether I keep Brandywine or not. I think the taste comparison to Caspian Pink might be the final judge on the matter.

I must say though Pink Brandywine is a very good Tomato and does deserve the praise it gets.

"You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt."~Unknown