Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2019   #1
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Sun Sugar

I have four plants really going to town. They have produced like crazy and are very sweet. Its been ninety here for several days and rain predicted tonite so I picked a hundred and a half because they will prob split after the rain. I gave away 6 sandwich bags this moring with about 25 in each bag. I have choc cherry and Orange Paruche in large totes for late stuff and they have several trusses too. These are in MG potting soil, pine bark, lime etc etc. I eat very few cherries but the SS are really good. Maybe my favorite now.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I had to restart my must have seeds this year and had to buy many as well. I love orange cherry tomatoes. I have Sun Sugar growing in the ground. Sun Sugar has very good flavor, but Sungold still tastes 2X better to me. In a very wet year there will be less joy, Sungold will split like crazy. It's a gamble as to which to plant, so why not grow both! I had planned to by a Sungold plant, but the big box stores don't have it. It was the only tomato plant showing blight at two private nurseries that sold them so I missed out this year. Esternia is one you might enjoy and have many baggies worth to share too.

There is another thread on a recently released orange cherry that has even better flavor. Wish I could remember the name, but someone will come along soon with the details.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #3
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

It’s called Sunorange, lol! It’s from the same company that sun gold and sun sugar and sun choc etc., come from. If you go on the thread, “Who made Sun Orange?”, you will find information on where seeds might be purchased.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #4
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Best bet is to plant them both! Some like the sweetness of sungold better, but the tougher skins split more with rain. This year very few are split. I like the sunsugar better, more tomato taste, and use them for my earliest tomato sandwiches. Put the sungold in the drier spot, and in separate bowls after picking because there definitely is a difference in taste. Separate bowls because some people have a preference and they are hard to tell apart before biting in. Sungold develops a little deeper golden orange, while sunsugar stays brighter, but otherwise they come out the same size when grown in identical conditions.

Hmmm which is which??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (159.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 05.JPG (297.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 07.JPG (288.7 KB, 92 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #5
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Great comparison, lovely garden, JR.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2019   #6
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, that's the driveway snack bar, after I picked those bowls. They went in the ground after Mother's Day. Sungold in the left bowl and that is two sungold plants trenched in the round crw cage. There are five sunsugar planted on the sunny side of the crw pea trellis that were trained through the trellis after the peas were done. I took those pics a few days back and was going to start a comparison thread, but then I figured I'd just wait because they come up every year!

Edit: the basil went in last as 3/4" soil block starts with first real leaf starting.

Last edited by JRinPA; August 7, 2019 at 02:09 AM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2019   #7
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking plants and fruit!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote