Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2019   #16
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Default was

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
I bought a "red" brandywine tomato plant and did research when I got home.
Supposed to be RL and this plant is PL so it's really the pink variety.
I picked my 1st one yesterday and it was red.
So I guess you can't really judge a variety by it's leaves.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #17
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Hose repair things (to replace male or female ends), most of which leak no matter how even you cut the hose end or how far you stuff the barbed end into the hose or how much you tighten down the screws. The metal clam shells which connect two sections of hose seem to work ok but the plastic ones are a waste of money.

Gilmour seems to make the better everything when it comes to watering-related connectors, fixtures, etc
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

+1 on the hose repair parts. Not even to mention they're as expensive as a new hose!
Here's one on seeds: when I break down and buy "fresh" commercial seed of something and it turns out to be so old that the germination rate is terrible! I have really become spoiled on the home grown seeds, which shows up the others for what they are.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

+2 on hose repairs. When you splice a cut hose - that coupler gets caught on everything - even grass.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #20
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
+2 on hose repairs. When you splice a cut hose - that coupler gets caught on everything - even grass.
Oh YEAH! You've got that *exactly* right!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2019   #21
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I hate hose work altogether but I do it anyway as water is not to be wasted here. Last year my hands were so sore I could not use a can opener . One day I asked a lady using a shrinking/expanding hose at a store how she liked it. She replied that she loved it so I got one to try as I noticed that handling the regular hoses is hard on my hands. Now I have two of them as that lady was right. They are much lighter to use and hands are not quite so sore this year. The hoses need to be stored out of sunlight when not in use but because they shrink up and are light that is easy to do either in a bucket or under a bush. Don't know how long they'll last but if it helps my hands so much the price is worth it.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote