Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 11, 2018   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

On a side note nctomatoman AKA Craig is the very first person ever to send me a PM thanking me for coming onto the garden web forum and saying nice things to me.
He was the first person to ever speak to me in person on the internet at all.
That was way back before this sight ever was even thought about.
We have been friends ever since.

One time he responded here to me on a thread about browsing tomatoville while at work.
I made the statement that any browsing was stealing from the company and nose to the grind stone bla bla bla.
He told me he would hate to have me for a boss.
My whole post was a sham to begin with and it is part of my nature to take on the most evil role there can be.

Well any who I dont know anything about any of the other people out in Napa valley but Fred and Craig both are good highly respectable dyed in the wool folks.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2018   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
On a side note nctomatoman AKA Craig is the very first person ever to send me a PM thanking me for coming onto the garden web forum and saying nice things to me.
He was the first person to ever speak to me in person on the internet at all.
That was way back before this sight ever was even thought about.
We have been friends ever since.

One time he responded here to me on a thread about browsing tomatoville while at work.
I made the statement that any browsing was stealing from the company and nose to the grind stone bla bla bla.
He told me he would hate to have me for a boss.
My whole post was a sham to begin with and it is part of my nature to take on the most evil role there can be.

Well any who I dont know anything about any of the other people out in Napa valley but Fred and Craig both are good highly respectable dyed in the wool folks.

Worth

LD, not LDS,I was also at the original Garden web as I'm pretty sure you remember.

And all I'll say now is that not all that you remembered as posted above,is not the same as I remembered.

No,I'm not going to answer with any specifics since it's been a very rough day for me here in upstate NY what with our TD bank now closed and I get a letter from TD which makes no sense.Called, and got that straightened out I hope. Our local Family Health Center is MAYBE staying open until the first of the year,or maybe not.

Who is going to get my meds from Rite Aid,now a Walgreen's store as the Robot voice answers when I call in my renewals.,etc.

But there was also some good news for me as well.

My peanuts were shipped from VA today.

My outstanding store on Central Ave near Albany sent what I ordered yesterday. Mostly dark choco with a splash of cashews.

And the wheel continues to spin,I just want it to land on not just my number,but I want the same for everyone as well.

Carolyn
Old December 11, 2018   #33
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just so folks here know, I am monitoring this thread....and probably have more questions about the WTS than all of you put together, even though I've been "involved" with them (more associated). Stay tuned - doing some deep pondering about things.
Old December 12, 2018   #34
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

From Here: link removed

Quote:
On Sunday, September 17, growers in and around Los Gatos, California, gathered among the redwoods for the inaugural Heirloom Tomato Harvest Festival. Along with wine-and-tomato pairings, live music, a Bloody Mary competition, and loads of tomato-based foods, farmers displayed some 241 types of tomatoes—far exceeding Lycored’s 2015 record of a paltry 132 varieties.
Wow, who knew Tomatopalooza[tm] IV actually should have been a Guinness World Record holder with 192 varieties back in 2006.....

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #35
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I don't know why having an underlying profit motive is so objectionable. If I were able to produce a world class, first rate site that provided valuable information at no cost to the user, I would hope to glean some business out of it. If deception and fraud is involved, that's another matter entirely.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Just so folks here know, I am monitoring this thread....and probably have more questions about the WTS than all of you put together, even though I've been "involved" with them (more associated). Stay tuned - doing some deep pondering about things.
There are three of us who are Global Moderators who have been monitoring this thread.Probably Michael,and he hasn't posted in this thread, fact is Moderators in general just moderate hidden and if they see problems, contact who needs to become contacted via PM, not publicaly., and of course you Craig and also me.

Me
Old December 12, 2018   #37
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I don't know why having an underlying profit motive is so objectionable. If I were able to produce a world class, first rate site that provided valuable information at no cost to the user, I would hope to glean some business out of it. If deception and fraud is involved, that's another matter entirely.

I'm not sure about the "profit" motive. The World Tomato Society states there is a World Tomato Society Foundation, a non-profit 501 3 (c). Are they two separate entities? The foundation has to provide the IRS 990 form to the public, yearly. That's were I would start looking.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #38
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Not directed at this "society", and I have not visited their fb site:

My pet peeve with some 501 3 (c) is the salaries the officers pay themselves. There are a ton of these groups "Raising Awareness" for different issues, diseases, sports organizations. Many are mom and pops basically creating themselves a very well paying job. Handing out brochures in front of Wal Mart for a cause while securing contributions from small and large donors is not imho worth the $80k that they pay themselves (for passing out a piece of paper!) with no taxes like you and I pay.

There used to be a website that compares the actual funds that go to direct expenditures such as research and outreach vs marketing but I don't recall the name.

I'm interested in how everyone is reading this. I still don't know what they are accomplishing or where their money comes from and goes to. From the small part I see its a nice looking blog with a color search.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2018   #39
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just FYI I am in the process of vacating my role/relationship with the WTS.
Old December 15, 2018   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Just FYI I am in the process of vacating my role/relationship with the WTS.
Congratulations.

Carolyn
Old December 18, 2018   #41
tomatoaddict

Just the fact they promote Tomato Geeks and Jerry Harrell is disturbing. This guy to this day is using my copy and tomato photos without my permission..i have asked him to stop yet there they stay. He is very shady
Old December 18, 2018   #42
tomatoaddict

P.s..this same guy was either selling or giving downloaded copies of Craig's book without his permission.
Old December 18, 2018   #43
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The divorce happened quickly - I am out of the WTS.
Old December 18, 2018   #44
tomatoaddict

I just checked with someone associated with them and was told they do not promote Jerry or his businesses which is refreshing to know.
Old December 18, 2018   #45
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I notice your photo has already been deleted. The whole place looks like a California-style self promotion scheme. It reminds me of the yuppies who took over SSE.