Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 21, 2019   #16
shule1

Marion, Bloody Butcher, Tidy Rose F1, and Black Dragon. Of those Marion is my favorite for taste, followed by Tidy Rose F1, BB and then BD. Except for BB, they were all about the same earliness, maybe. BB ripened first. They all have production potential. Tidy Rose F1 does split and crack; it has a small plant but produces a lot of medium-sized beefsteaks; the plant is shaded by other plants caged around it, except for on the east.

Last edited by shule1; August 21, 2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old August 21, 2019   #17
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I gave bloody butcher plants to the neighbors and they liked them too.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019   #18
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Nothing has come ripe yet (I planted late due to parental illness) but Karen's Polaris is a gorgeous, hardy disease-free monster of a plant with huge leaves and many huge fruits. It is the best looking and strongest plant for me this year. CANNOT WAIT TO TASTE IT!
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019   #19
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Nothing has come ripe yet (I planted late due to parental illness) but Karen's Polaris is a gorgeous, hardy disease-free monster of a plant with huge leaves and many huge fruits. It is the best looking and strongest plant for me this year. CANNOT WAIT TO TASTE IT!
Awesome please do let me know what you think of it
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; August 21, 2019 at 07:00 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019   #20
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

M y best producers this late have been Kentucky Beefsteak, Abe Lincoln & Lemon Boy.
Old August 23, 2019   #21
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
From Karen True Colors, Midnight Sun and Taiga. Love them.
Bolgarskoye chudo and Rosa Bulgary are great as well as Plan. Academic Saharov great find and Russkiy razmer rozovyi. Bezrazmernyi and Dorodnyi from Tanya.
There you go again. After last season’s review, I spent a long time researching your varieties. I wanted Rosvyi Kilogrammoyvi and couldn’t find it anywhere. Then Tanya reopened and I was able to get seeds. It did not disappoint. Huge beautiful luscious tomatoes borne plentifully and large plants. Even the seedlings were amazingly strong. Thank you for your evaluation.

Also was very pleased with Malinovyi Charodei. I have been on a mission to get early great tomatoes. This was my earliest. The flavor was right up there with the later season ones.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019   #22
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Also was very pleased with Malinovyi Charodei. I have been on a mission to get early great tomatoes. This was my earliest. The flavor was right up there with the later season ones.
What was your seed source for Malinovyi Charodei, if I may ask? I love Russian varieties and this sounds right up my alley.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019   #23
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

STARS
Dark Galaxy is productive, gorgeous, & tastes fantastic.
Fish Lake Oxheart also tastes great.

GOOD
Butter Apple is a good-tasting, very productive yellow.
Bajaja is a good-tasting cherry on a dwarf plant, very productive, but it is determinate and only produces for a month.
Maglia Rosa tastes good but isn't very productive here, and seems to be a favorite of the stink bugs.

OTHER
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye tasted weak and acted like a determinate, dying after the first flush of tomatoes.
Velvet Red also was weak-tasting.
Danube is a red & green cherry that was alarmingly crunchy.
New Big Dwarf tasted OK, but also acted determinate, only giving me one flush of tomatoes.

Last edited by Nan_PA_6b; August 24, 2019 at 12:31 AM.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019   #24
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Burpee patio tomato was supposed to be determinate, but I am starting to get a second flush.
Grown in the ground, the plant gets big and has to be staked.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019   #25
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
What was your seed source for Malinovyi Charodei, if I may ask? I love Russian varieties and this sounds right up my alley.
I originally ordered from Tanya. I grew these from saved seeds.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019   #26
Lotte
Tomatovillian™

I have Sweet Crunch for the first time this year, and it sure is sweet and crunchy, just what I like.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019   #27
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Nancy, lol!
What can I say? I am glad I tried some new varieties this year. And very glad Tania still selling seeds, she is my largest source of firmer USSR tomatoes.
I am uber excited to get my hands on more tomatoes from Karen. Early tasty and productive,right up my alley. True colors were a day earlier than Biyskaya Rosa.
Somehow I gave away all my Polaris seedlings this year but hopefully will get some seeds back.
Istra from last offer from Carolyn is later but totally outstanding, huge ribbed red.
Will be sending some seed to the swap too.
Maria Amaziletti heart is super and Palestinian Heart. Also Slovenian black was a star here.
Most cherries just started for me so not a good season for cherries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190828_135448.jpg (127.7 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by Lindalana; August 28, 2019 at 10:41 PM.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019   #28
Melissa S
Tomatovillian™

We've had great luck this year in finding some new varieties that will make it back next year, and hopefully become keepers long term: azoychka, lavender/lilac lake, cosmic eclipse, and black beauty.

Of 13 new to us varieties planted, 3 have yet to produce ripe fruit to taste (!), six aren't tasting great enough to warrant planting again next year (Kellogg's breakfast, gold medal, Virginia sweets, Cherokee purple, Cherokee carbon, mortgage lifter), and four are outstanding and will be planted again next year.

The best flavors in the new to us varieties are from azoychka (finally a yellow I love!), cosmic eclipse, black beauty (CE and BB came as a surprise since I planted them as novelties and now love the taste of both), and lavender/lilac lake (a black-ish variety that has really wowed us).
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019   #29
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

True Colours from Karen: gorgeous and taste great.
Aunt Ginny's Purple: excellent yield and flavor.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019   #30
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm really loving Orange Strawberry. Big, beautiful, delicious and juicy .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote