Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old 4 Days Ago   #181
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Several years ago I found a site that substantiated at least part of the link above.
The readings were collected daily by a rancher for many years in Texas.
Not in the city but out in the country.
I can honestly say the thermometer on my truck gets cooler by a wee bit the farther I get away from Austin.
It is 100 in Austin at this time, 97 in Bastrop downtown and 94 at my house away from downtown Bastrop.
There is no way my glass thermometer is 6 degrees off.
Cities are nothing but heat generators due to concrete, cars and air conditioning.
The bigger they get the worse they get.

I don't think anyone disagrees that it is a few degrees warmer in urban areas. Always has been. The science says this is true and also says that warming is occurring equally in urban and rural areas.

This Roy Spencer, PHD also doesn't believe in evolution. He is an outlier for sure. Maybe he is right. I doubt it.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #182
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees that it is a few degrees warmer in urban areas. Always has been. The science says this is true and also says that warming is occurring equally in urban and rural areas.

This Roy Spencer, PHD also doesn't believe in evolution. He is an outlier for sure. Maybe he is right. I doubt it.
I think one of the problems with global warming and other science is that media present them very simply when they involve a lot of complexity.

For example, "not believing in evolution." One common definition of evolution: "Evolution is change in the heritable traits of biological populations over successive generations."

Roy Spencer certainly believes in this. Does he believe that the origin of life began in a prebiotic or primordial soup and that microbes became man? Apparently not.

Then again, a number of people don't. Another leading theory on the origin of life is panspermia. Someone mentioned Stephen Hawking earlier - he referenced panspermia - not sure exactly what his position was.
jtjmartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #183
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I think one of the problems with global warming and other science is that media present them very simply when they involve a lot of complexity.

For example, "not believing in evolution." One common definition of evolution: "Evolution is change in the heritable traits of biological populations over successive generations."

Roy Spencer certainly believes in this. Does he believe that the origin of life began in a prebiotic or primordial soup and that microbes became man? Apparently not.

Then again, a number of people don't. Another leading theory on the origin of life is panspermia. Someone mentioned Stephen Hawking earlier - he referenced panspermia - not sure exactly what his position was.

Well not commenting on the evolution thing any further for obvious reasons. This Article should tell you all you need to know about Dr Roy Spencer PHD.

Big Coal Funded This Prominent Climate Change Denier, Docs Reveal

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roy-s...e?guccounter=1
Old 4 Days Ago   #184
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Well not commenting on the evolution thing any further for obvious reasons. This Article should tell you all you need to know about Dr Roy Spencer PHD.

Big Coal Funded This Prominent Climate Change Denier, Docs Reveal

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roy-s...e?guccounter=1
Seaeagle, I'll get back to tomatoes but I read the article by HuffPost. I'm not sure that I ever heard much about Roy Spencer before. But to be fair, the article states:

"The documents that were released this week do not say how much money Peabody Energy’s creditors were owed, so it’s unclear whether the company has ever paid Spencer more than the $4,000 he told Greenpeace about."

I know that the headlines are often not written by the writers but . . .

So chicken or egg? Which came first? Did an energy company hire him to testify in a Minnesota court case because he is skeptical, or did he change his views for $4,000? Don't know. I don't see where the article proves the headline though.

Back to tomatoes for a while!
Old 4 Days Ago   #185
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I did finish another hugel raised bed this weekend and created a few more swales in my garden to trap rainwater. I also covered the "naked" soil I had bare and to allow fall peas to sprout.

I really believe in permaculture - much of it reduces carbon and grows better plants!
Old 4 Days Ago   #186
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I'm kinda in the same boat as Worth. I live about thirty miles north of Dallas in the country and about five miles from interstate 35. When the news media talks about weather, he always mean Dallas proper and it's suburbs. Our max temp for the entire area tomorrow is supposed to be 101 degrees F. I've lived here long enough to know that it may be 101 in Dallas, but it will only be 93 or 94 degrees at my house out in the country.I used to think the difference was due to the number of trees on my property, but I remembered that recorded and reported temps are supposed to be taken in shade to get accurate air temps. I have no idea how they collect area temps to achieve an accurate average temp. for the area on a daily basis.

I've often wondered how they obtain data world wide that reflects a rising sea level given all the variables which effect the daily sea level at any point on earth.I may be wrong, but I can't think of any islands which have sunk beneath the sea recently. How do they extrapolate data while compensating for the amount of water lost daily to evaporation and the amount of water added to the sea by melting ice bergs and flooded rivers? That isn't a statement. It is a skeptical question.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #187
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
If you can't discredit the message, discredit the messenger.

Here is proof that Roy Spencer, PHD tweaks charts to fit his climate denier agenda. I guess it helps sell his 5 or 6 books available on Amazon.com

Let's look at how he's conned his denier fans. Below I've plotted the CMIP5 composite mean against UAH and GISTemp using a 1981-2010 baseline, which is what UAH normally uses, and then I'll discuss what Roy Spencer has effectively done:

What he's effectively done is shifted the CMIP5 charts up by around 0.3 degrees. In case you find it hard to credit that even a contrarian scientist would stoop so low, here is Roy Spencer's chart, with my annotations:

https://blog.hotwhopper.com/2014/02/...eception.html?

Last edited by seaeagle; 4 Days Ago at 01:15 AM.
Old 3 Days Ago   #188
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As of today since this thread was posted I have yet expressed my opinion on climate change.
You may think I have but I haven't.
But the picture below expresses how idiotic some people can be.
Who in their right mind would spend the money on such atrocities.
I get store brand water for the guys and myself at work 92 one pound bottles for less than ten dollars.
It has minerals added for flavor just like this over the top crap.
This is a so called disposable throw away bottle.
This needs to stop not by law but education and concern for our planet.
Not only a waste of money but a travesty.
IMG_20190819_11849.jpg

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #189
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just found out that bottle of water cost three dollars.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #190
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I get my water from a 410' deep well. Great water! It is so soft, I keep scrubbing under the shower head trying to scrub the soap off when it has been gone for five minutes. I could say my water is free compared to $3.00 per bottle. I would be lying though because it costs about two thousand dollars every few years when the well pump goes out and must be pulled and replaced. It also costs some money to run the 220 volt pump motor when the pressure in the pressure vessel drops low enough to turn the pump on.

I do buy distilled water in one gallon jugs for the coffee pot. It costs $0.89 per gallon.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote