Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 15, 2019   #16
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
in an attempt to minimize this type of event, I've gone for vendor seeds only, and thus far no surprises.

And that's the punch line for me... every time I've had it happen it was from vendor seeds. The trades have been more reliable for me.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2019   #17
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
And that's the punch line for me... every time I've had it happen it was from vendor seeds. The trades have been more reliable for me.
Exactly.
If I want to make sure I'll get the correct variety, I'll ask someone who has grown and collected the seeds themselves...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2019   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I have yet to see anyone put up their hand and say they got a red FLO. I highly suspect that the original release was a darker pink, and was described as a red without the epi skin test being done.
I grew German Red Strawberry this year, and it is a large heavily fluted piriform as well, on both plants! I've never grown it before, but it for sure does not look like a heart.

Then there is Dorothy's Mennonite BiColor. Which is a big beautiful and tasty tomato, but just a mono color pink. (Or is it red? Have not done the skin test!)

"I have yet to see anyone put their hand up and say they got a red FLO".

And there lies my predicament. I may be searching for what doesn't exist.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I could add so many to this list that it isn't funny, but there's other sides to it. As someone who used to grow a lot of tomato plants - sometimes we save and share unsuspected seed crosses. I'm guilty of that. When I mailed out seeds of xyz variety, that's what I expected them to be - not a xyz/abc cross.

Yet on the other hand, some crosses taste really good. But that's beside the point.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019   #20
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

I do a lot of seed trading and it happens almost every to at least one plant, occasionally two. I usually only grow 15-20 plants per year, one of each variety.
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019   #21
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

Here is my Lithium sunset, not sure if it's the right one. The striping is very faint and only on the bottom. This is my first one so I have no opinion on the flavor yet. If it looks right, I would be happy to send you some seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lithium sunset 2.JPG (423.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg lithium sunset.JPG (460.4 KB, 205 views)
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2019   #22
davidj
Tomatovillian™

Default other varieties that weren't in my garden

Other varieties that weren’t, from my garden:

Top row, left to right:

Altayskiy honey: from Nikitovka Seeds. That was supposed to be a big pink heart-shaped tomato. Instead, I get tangerine-orange 4 to 10 oz plum-shaped tomatoes. Actually, I’m happy with that one. I’ll probably keep seeds from it. I grew only one plant, so I don’t know if it is a stray seed in the pack.

Eldorado: From ebay, but in original seed packet. It was supposed to be an oval-shaped orange tomato. I’m getting red tomatoes from my two plants. They are quite meaty and good, production seems to be good, so I’ll keep them.

Pertsevidny polosaty : From Seemnemailm in original seed packet. I grew only one plant, which is big and productive. It is supposed to be a red striped tomato, but I did not get the stripes. Tomatoes are hollow like a pepper, so not much juice and seeds, but not much meat either.

Lower row, left to right:

Russian Queen: From Croatian seed store. That was supposed to be a highly productive plant of striped tomatoes. My two plants give a very low production of non-striped red tomatoes.

Zebra Oranzhevaya : From Nikitovka Seeds. That was supposed to give very big meaty orange striped tomatoes. My two plants give me yellow cherry/saladette tomatoes.
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2019   #23
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear. Nikitovka seeds have had several mix-ups / incorrect seeds in the last couple of years, from what I have heard from their customers. I always have got what the label said, until last year.. it was supposed to be Orange pear, but I got lemon yellow plums instead.. I didn't try the replacement seeds this year.
Old August 31, 2019   #24
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa B. View Post
Here is my Lithium sunset, not sure if it's the right one. The striping is very faint and only on the bottom. This is my first one so I have no opinion on the flavor yet. If it looks right, I would be happy to send you some seeds.

My Lithium Sunset looks nice. I got the seeds from the MMMM action from Tormato. I don't know for sure, but I have some tomato grown from bagged inflorescences. If so, I should have seeds by the end of September - then I can send. I think it's a beautiful tomato with good taste.
VlADIMÍR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1677Lithium.jpg (152.6 KB, 173 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2019   #25
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Because of the hype Big Beef, gasp..a hybrid got space in the garden this year. They were fairly early and productive, all at the 6 ounce weight, round, red and tasted like a hybrid usually does, pretty average. And when the result gets explained, I get told ,"That is a wrong variety, BB is larger and tastier." I bought the plant from a box store and it was a Bonnie Best grow out. I will try again next year just to give it a chance to be right. I will buy seed and do my own growing.
Old September 3, 2019   #26
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Another that isn't.. A Russian variety straight from a pictured packet, 'Golden Eggs' and with a photo of golden orange oval fruits. The bush produced sausage-shaped ones (a bit like the infamous ones with names as Casanova, Zabava and Eros) which are now beginning to turn color. I am hoping for dark / black color instead of the usual red...
Old September 3, 2019   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Japanese Pink Cherry - turned out to be yellow and cherry-sized. Some were like ultra-mini boat-shaped beefsteaks (with up to 14 locules).

I'm very happy with the flavor, it being the best yellow cherry I've tried. Sweet and fruity, with lemon overtones and vanilla undertones, is the best way I can describe it.
Old September 3, 2019   #28
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Targinnie Red. I loved those tomatoes, about 2-3 oz; I scooped out the centers and stuffed them with fresh parmesan or cottage cheese + Mrs. Dash. Tasty; a hit. Except they were pink, and shaped like an acorn (flat top, tapering). I hope the real Targinnie Red will be as good.

Last edited by Nan_PA_6b; September 3, 2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: punctuation
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2019   #29
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

My mother has plants that came true to seed that shouldn't have. She's got two volunteer cherry tomato plants that are exactly like Sungolds: same color & taste. (Grown side-by-side with real Sungolds).
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2019   #30
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
My mother has plants that came true to seed that shouldn't have. She's got two volunteer cherry tomato plants that are exactly like Sungolds: same color & taste. (Grown side-by-side with real Sungolds).

Does your mom save seed?