Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 23, 2016   #1
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Default Poles and reeds

What kind of support do you use for your indeterminate tomatoes? Do you buy iron, wood, plastic poles or make your own ones somehow? I’ve always used cane reeds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arundo_donax

,mainly for one reason: there’s a creek close to my garden where those grow and I can get them for free. The downside of it is that It takes quite some time to hack them and bring them home, plus they are absolutely not long lasting. After one season I basically have to replace 70-80% of them. Last year I managed to get some real bamboo reeds: they are thicker and it looks like I might reuse all of them next year. Unfortunately I only had limited access to them. I usually cut mine so that they are about 7 Ft tall. How tall are yours?
I’m looking for something reusable at a reasonable price. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dami
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

I've used bamboo but it wasn't long lasting enough for my money. (bought at the Dollar Store since it doesn't grow here). I tried maintaining the bamboo with a coat of linseed oil but it seemed any part stuck in the ground would need that yearly, so a huge amount of work, and after a couple of years they got white rot anyway..
I have some metal cages too that are a folding triangle, nice design for storage and serviceable although they aren't really big enough. Those that weren't painted/coated also started to rust in short order. I got some rust paint on them this spring and I used the same (sticky and noxious smelling!) paint on a few bamboo stakes to see if that would improve their longevity issue... time will tell.

The only product for tomato support that I'm still impressed with its longevity, is rope. Nylon I think.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Bamboo is ok if you get them free and they are of good size diameter in order to be rigid.
In PNW where cedar is aplenty and sold at reasonable prices, I used to make stakes with it.But down here in NC cedar lumber is very expensive. I don,t know yet what I am going to do. Maybe I will make cages from CRW or Cattle panel. another option is to get T posts and do Florida weave. This method is practical if you plant in rows.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Cattle gates hung on T-posts work fairly well.

The cheapest stakes I have made have been 8' treated 2x4s ripped long-ways with a table saw. I cut the ends to a point, drive one stake on each side of the plant, and then connect the tops with a small piece of scrap wood.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As person can start timber bamboo and have all the stakes they want.
Any sprouts that come up where you dont want them just eat the darn things.
The reason it gets out of hand is people neglect it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #6
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

I built some structures for my raised beds that I really like. They can be used for more than just tomatoes.

kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

kchd, that looks good. I used to make something like that in my raised beds too. . Then inside the bed each plant had its ow stake as well.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #8
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd.. View Post
I built some structures for my raised beds that I really like. They can be used for more than just tomatoes.

Wow, that should hold up most anything!! Looks pretty, too.

I use T posts mostly and either cattle/hog panels or woven wire stretched between them to tie up the tomatoes and garden stuff.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #9
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I think I should copy that, looks like you can put a tarp over it too to cover rain, or shade cloth.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote