Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 21, 2013   #1
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden Rave

Have been growing these in my yard for a few years and really enjoyed the taste as well as the production. Decided we would plant some for the market this year and WOW have we been impressed!
After 3-4 weeks of harvesting we decided to keep a running total of the # of lbs harvested. We started recording weights on Aug 30th, over a 21 day period since we harvested 200 lbs from JUST 12 PLANTS!
We have had a wet summer this year and disease was bad on tomatoes but not on these. Each tomato is nearly perfect and except for some stinkbug damage as of late we did not have to "cull" any before selling! AND while other varieties have nearly quit producing these are still flourishing here in VA.
Here's some pics...
Harvest pics show fruit straight from the vine...no culling was done!
In the photo showing plants notice how varieties in background are nearly dead while these are still plush!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9515_1_1.JPG (441.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9711_2_1.JPG (119.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9702_1_1.JPG (744.5 KB, 57 views)
barryla61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

my neighbor grew these this year and i tried them for the first time a few days ago. what a great tomato! he said production was awesome and the taste is nice and sweet

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #3
tedln

They look like a color variation of Juliet which also keeps pumping out tomatoes when the going gets rough. I think they are slightly larger than Juliet. Juliet skins are pretty tough though. Are the Golden Rave skins tough?

Ted
Old September 22, 2013   #4
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

This is my second year growing them. First year was in a bed that had the PH off and most plants didn't produce a single fruit but golden rave put out a few lbs and was the only semi-productive plant in that bed. Decided to grow it again and now that I've corrected the PH this plant went nuts. It is now over 12feet tall/long climbing all over the other plants in the same bead and reaching into the bed next to it. Production has been great and all the tomatoes are perfect (except for some cracking when I don't get around to picking them in time). This is defintely on my to plant list every year. I'm also growing Juliet and it's nearly as big as the Golden Rave. Production has also been very good. The golden rave's are about twice the size of the Juliet's.
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2013   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Barry it seems that you have a winner . I looked on Tania's site but there was little info. Is there any chance of you making some seeds available?

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2013   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
Barry it seems that you have a winner . I looked on Tania's site but there was little info. Is there any chance of you making some seeds available?

Jon
https://www.google.com/#q=golden+Rave+tomato

It turns out that Golden Rave is an F1 hybrid offered at many seed sites such as Johnny's, Harris, and more.

I don't know as you want to work with saved F2 seeds Jon, but that's up to you.

And being an F1 hybrid also explains why little info is given at Tania's site since she features VERY few hybrids.

Carolyn
Old September 22, 2013   #7
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Yes it is a hybrid and it came from...
wait a second...
Park Seed
barryla61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2013   #8
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
https://www.google.com/#q=golden+Rave+tomato

It turns out that Golden Rave is an F1 hybrid offered at many seed sites such as Johnny's, Harris, and more.

I don't know as you want to work with saved F2 seeds Jon, but that's up to you.

And being an F1 hybrid also explains why little info is given at Tania's site since she features VERY few hybrids.

Carolyn
thanks for the info Carolyn.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote