Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 16, 2010   #1
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Default OP Onion - alternative to Copra

I've been growing Copra (F1) and I'm interested in replacing it with an OP variety next year. Any suggestions?
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2010   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

are you looking for long term storage? as you may know, copra is probably the longest storing onion so you are going to lose storage. i don't grow op onions so i can't help.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2010   #3
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

Check Fedco seeds out, if I remember right they have an op version of it.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2010   #4
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the suggestions:

Fedco's OP Copra is from Turtle Tree Seed:

Clear Dawn - 105 Days - Medium-sized, round, yellow storage onion grown and selected for over 30 years by biodynamic market gardeners. Long-day type successful to around 37 degrees latitude. Selected for high quality, long storage, and uniformity. Excellent storage variety
Old August 18, 2010   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

how long is "long storage"? i never heard of an op version of copra. copra is supposed to be the longest storage onion. mine keep 12 months w/o blinking an eye. i had them 1 year 15 months that was mid october!
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old August 18, 2010   #6
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
how long is "long storage"? i never heard of an op version of copra. copra is supposed to be the longest storage onion. mine keep 12 months w/o blinking an eye. i had them 1 year 15 months that was mid october!
Apparently it's actually a de-hybridized version of Copra. Here's what Fedco says:

Clear Dawn Onion OG (104 days) The best open-pollinated storage onion, Clear Dawn was bred out of Copra by biodynamic market growers and continues to be improved by Turtle Tree Seed. Dawn is slightly smaller than Copra with thicker necks, darker bronze skins and the same great storage capability. Ours averaged 9–10 oz. in 2004 and were very hard. Certified biodynamically grown.

From what I've heard, Johnny's isn't going to carry Copra next year - any word on why?
Old August 18, 2010   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

jss, that's a drag but i seldom order from them. their cost for a packet of most seed is a bit high compared to those that i normally buy from and the s&h is way too high. i haven't bought from jss in 4 or 5 years now.

if i place my order next year with fedco i'll buy a package of clear dawn. i'd be curious to see how they size up and especially how they store. since i don't save seed from onions it really doesn't matter about being op but i do like the idea of growing op vegetables.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old August 18, 2010   #8
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

JOhnny's passed on a warning 2 or 3 years ago that the seed breeder responsible for Copra was discontinuing it. While it does store very well, other hybrids that store nearly as well outyield it, especially in mineral soils.

I believed it was a bit of subterfuge: increase orders and illustrate the idea that it sells well enough to justify its continued production. I don't really mind...Copra has become an old favorite with a lot of name recognition.

I've grown a few of Stokes' varieties and liked most. I remember Hamlet, Fortress, Prince and Infinity for sure, probably more. Fortress and Infinity were real standouts.

If extreme long storage is your goal, plant some multiplier potato onions. I forgot some under the workbench in my shop for about 20 months. They were dessicated and soft, but sprouted tops and produced a crop. I have about 10# of last years' crop in the basement now, and they're fine yet. Even Copra or other similar varieties starts to look pretty tough by now, but the potatoe onions look like the day they were stored away.
Old August 19, 2010   #9
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyolf View Post

I've grown a few of Stokes' varieties and liked most. I remember Hamlet, Fortress, Prince and Infinity for sure, probably more. Fortress and Infinity were real standouts.
so these varieties out store copra? prince is the only one i ever heard of and fedco says it stores almost as long as copra iirc. besides stokes, who sells these? i never get a catalog from them, i thought they sell only to farmers ie large volume vs few hundred seeds?
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old August 19, 2010   #10
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I don't know that Copra stores better than Hamlet or infinity in an absolute sense: I've never grown them side by side and watched them go bad in storage. Since every year will be different, it might not be fair to say the Copras lasted until early June, while the brand X only until mid-May.

And some years I run out of onions before they start to get soft!

AS I recall, Prince seemed like it went bad faster, and Infinity and Copra lasted the longest. Fortress produced more Jumbo bulbs nearing 1 lb...that my wife complained about, suggesting I bring a saw in to cut them down to manageable pieces!

Stokes sells in packet quantities in almost all varieties. Google them up... they're on the web!
Old January 30, 2012   #11
blokesmom
Tomatovillian™

This year I am trying Australian Brown onions, an heirloom variety. They are supposed to be excellent keepers. I'll try to remember to post back about the harvest.
blokesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #12
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Newburg. It's a Seeds of Change original, or so the seed packet claims. Strangely, Seeds of Change does not have it on their website for 2012. I got them from SOC last year in the Summer. Several places do sell it and it is said to be an exceptional keeper, and it's OP. I've not tried them yet, but plan to get seeds started this week sometime. Has anybody tried Newburg?
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #13
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Rose de Roscoff a French one..it is not the best storer but I adore the onion. Seeds are not available commercially as the onion is protected. I got my original seeds from re growing the onions that I got from Roscoff in France.

I do have a few seeds spare is anyone is intersted in rare onions.

Look up Rose de Roscoff on the net, it is quite a story, sorry I don't have a link.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

Interesting history on Rose de Roscoff - love the mention of "onion Johnnies" peddling their wares. Would love to get a (very) few seeds to try - love my alliums as much as tomatoes!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2012   #15
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Salix. no problem, I have had seeds packets all over my bed today as I have several lots of stuff to send off in time for Spring planting, you included so I will add the Roscoffs to your package of perennial stuff.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote