Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 10, 2006   #1
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Default Fruit setting

Does anyone know if peppers are adversely effected by high night-time temperatures (over 70 degrees) like tomatoes or will they set fruit regardless of NT temps.

I haven't tried to grow peppers here in the summer (other than perennial shrub-like ones) as it is not the ideal time for us--too hot and too rainy. If they were protected from the rain could they take the heat at night?

Thanks

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #2
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

According to DeWitt night temperature is a key factor in fruit set. He says ideal is between 65 and 80 degrees and that fruit will not set if night temps are above 86 degrees. He also says if daytime temperatures are above 95 "pollen will abort and fruit set will be reduced

"The Pepper Garden"-Dave DeWit and Paul Bosland
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #3
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

umm, 80 degrees --that is alot higher than the NT temps of 68 or so for toms so I will give it a shot if I can rig up something to keep them dry.

Thanks so much and thanks for mentioning a book--that means I will just HAVE to buy it as I love books.

farkee (MCP)

Carl Huffaker
Old March 10, 2006   #4
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Excerpt from Jean Andrews' book Peppers: The Domesticated Capsicums

Temperature: Most authors are in agreement that the environmental factor that plays the predominant role in reducing fruit-set is temperature. During germination and while the plant is young the optimal night temperature is at least as high as 30°C (86°F); however, as the plant becomes older, the optimal night temperature progressively decreases. Maximum growth occurs at the 21°-26.5°C (69.8-79.7°F) temperature range. Early flowering and fruit maturity are augmented by high temperatures, but from the standpoint of fruit-set, high temperatures are not desirable. Higher night temperatures cause more abnormalities and when they go above 30°C (86°F) , no fruit will set at all. Best yields occur when night temperatures range between 18° and 27°C (64.4°-80°F), but 15.5° to 21°C (60°-70°F) is ideal for fruit-set. While certain South American species (e.g., C. pubescens and C. eximium) tolerate the cold, plants indigenous to the North American continent are highly susceptible to freezing temperatures and are for the most part grown as annuals.

That was from one of my most often referred to books. Any book that lists Paul Bosland as one of the authors is great too.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #5
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

OK , now we are back to 60 to 70 degrees at night for ideal fruit set--not much different than tomatoes.

I just checked the temp. in July 05 (from weather data charts) and they were high 70's at night (with a few above 80). Daytime temps were high 80's up to mid 90's.

Only thing to do is just try a few and see if the higher parameter of 80 degrees yields enough to make it worthwhile to fight the rain, humidity, and bugs.

Thanks so much to you both. Very helpful info.

Carl Huffaker