Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 27, 2013   #1
papadennis
Tomatovillian™

Default Wild Sweetie Cherry Tomatoes

Does anyone know where I can get Wild Sweetie tomato seeds? I found a place in Australia, called Diggers, but they cannot ship to the U.S. I would be willing to pay for the seeds if anyone has them in their personal stash. I also would be willing to trade seeds as well
papadennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #2
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Restoration Seeds in Oregon has them.

http://www.restorationseeds.com/coll...sweetie-tomato

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...d_Availability

Above from Tania's page for it and Steve of DoubleHelix is also selling them,link here a tville.

I've been offering them in my annual seed offer here at Tville and will be doing it again.

If you want the seeds quicker I suggest you go to the WANTED Seed Sub Forum of the Seed Exchange and ask if anyone has seeds.Some should who got the seeds from me last year and more got them this year but wouldn't have seeds until Fall.

I just checked,and yes,I offered it in my 2012 annual seed offer and still have lots of seeds for my next offer.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26028

Amy Goldman praised it highly in her book but opinions vary, and no,I didn't get seeds from her.It's currant size, but not a currant.

Carolyn
Old June 27, 2013   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, please, what, other than size defines a current?
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadennis View Post
Does anyone know where I can get Wild Sweetie tomato seeds? I found a place in Australia, called Diggers, but they cannot ship to the U.S. I would be willing to pay for the seeds if anyone has them in their personal stash. I also would be willing to trade seeds as well
Please read the guidelines posted in the two Seed SubForums b'c money cannot be used to buy seeds here.

All wants and trades are also posted in the Seed Exchange,not in in posts elsewhere, nor requests to others via PM.If someone has seeds to share they will do it in the Seed Exchange. Yes, I know you're a new member and probably didn't know about that.

In addition, I just posted several other places where you can get them in a post I just did here a few minutes ago.

Thanks in advance for understanding about the no moneypolicy but it is written in the guidelines.

Carolyn,who is here to help as she can.
Old June 27, 2013   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Carolyn, please, what, other than size defines a current?
-Marsha
Marsha, it's currant, not current and it's easy to make that error and here are some definitions for you to take alook at.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1031&bih=380

Pea sized fruits,distinctive hairy foliage with small leaves with hairy stems and kind of a rampant indet plant, fruits growing in long spindly trusses.

If you go to Google IMAGE and enter Wild Sweetie or Sweet Pea or any of the currant ones that Tania lists or just red currant some pictures will show up.

Carolyn
Old June 28, 2013   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I just wanted to mention that my absolute favorite wee fruited one is Sara's Galapagos, which I think is much better than Wild Sweetie.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara%27s_Galapagos

How Amy got the fruits through customs I don't know but she sent me the actual fruits, I took the seeds directly from some fruits with no processing and germination was about 100%.

When I had ripe fruits I saved seeds and sent them back to Amy and both of us listed them in the SSE Yearbook.

You'll note that there are several seed sources for this variety via the above link and for several years I offered seed for it in my annual seed offer.

I had asked Amy to bring me back some S. cheesmanii,which is salt tolerant, but I'm glad that she brought this one back.

Some here might still have some seeds but I'm one who encourages folks to buy a good percentage of their seeds since without the many small family run seed companies there would be far less varieties preserved. And in these economic times they need all the help we can give them.

Finally, both Amy and I list Wild Sweetie in the 2013 SSE Yearbook and yes, she got it from Diggers in Australia and still says it tastes like candy while I got mine from someone who lives close to her who had asked her for seeds and do not think it tastes like candy at all.

Carolyn
Old June 28, 2013   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Marsha, it's currant, not current and it's easy to make that error and here are some definitions for you.
It was easy to make that error, in my case I knew better and did it anyway! I am over 50. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote