Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 30, 2015   #1
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Default First Sakharnyi Pudovichok for 2015

My first Sakharnyi Pudovichok from my April 4 plant out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (214.0 KB, 159 views)
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #2
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

I can not pronounce that, but it looks like a great tomato sandwich!
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I offered it in my 2014 seed offer and there was some confusion as to what color the fruits should be;

(Sakharnyi Pudovichok, Lee says red/orange beef but Andrey says pink beef, from Siberia)

And Tania, who got it from her mother said red:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...nyi_Pudovichok

In the same seed offer I was offering Sakharnyi Slon, aka Sugary Elephant, and without checking my notes I don't remember who I got it from.

But a quick Google search brings up the following:

Lee of J and L Gardens put it in the red category

http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=268

From a recent thread here about it and please read the link i put up about Andrey and pink.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35771

Here is the Google search:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ovichok+tomato

Obviously I couldn't read all the links but I read/saw nothing like the orange ones you pictured. In one of the links I read that you got your seeds from Ginger so you might want to ask her what her seed source was.

I have to share with you that the highlight of this searching led me to Amishland seeds and of course lisa was obfuscating as only she can and said that Orange Russin 117 was from a seed bank in Russia, and I had a good laugh about that,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ge_Russian_117

Carolyn
Old May 30, 2015   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My seed source was Lee at JandL. Mine were red, I think one is ripe and red in the picture, and 2 are not fully colored and ripe yet.

UFXEFU- I thought it was delicious, and large fruits, very productive. I would love to know how you like the taste.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #5
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Ginger,
Not sure why mine are red/orange. I have had lots of rain since plant out. It has rained 13.6 inches in May. Water has been standing in the row middles just about every day. Maybe all that water has something to do with the red/orange color. I have not tasted yet, hope the wet weather does not ruin the flavor. I have plants from all the seed you sent me, except the Sweet Ozark Orange, I just did not sow those seed. All the plants are doing well considering the wet conditions. I want to thank you again for your generosity.
Old May 31, 2015   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFXEFU View Post
Ginger,
Not sure why mine are red/orange. I have had lots of rain since plant out. It has rained 13.6 inches in May. Water has been standing in the row middles just about every day. Maybe all that water has something to do with the red/orange color. I have not tasted yet, hope the wet weather does not ruin the flavor. I have plants from all the seed you sent me, except the Sweet Ozark Orange, I just did not sow those seed. All the plants are doing well considering the wet conditions. I want to thank you again for your generosity.
That makes me so happy, and you are very welcome! That smaller one is a nice red.
I wouldn't worry about the color too much anyway, because the environment can certainly affect that.
Glad you are having fun. I am too!
Old May 31, 2015   #7
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

I gave the Sakharnyi Pudovichok a taste test today. It has lots of meat with small seed cavity with few seeds and not much juice. It had a mild sweet flavor but was lacking that tomato zing that I like.... not much acid. My wife thought it was really good.
Old May 31, 2015   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

A lot of rain can dilute out the flavors. Suggestion:Try it again later on in a month or so, when most of the rain has stopped.
Old May 31, 2015   #9
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
A lot of rain can dilute out the flavors. Suggestion:Try it again later on in a month or so, when most of the rain has stopped.
You're probably right about the rain and in previous years I've noticed that later in the year all my tomatoes had a better flavor. I've still got Red Barn, Taos Trail and Mortgage Lifter to report on.