Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 23, 2007   #1
cdg
Tomatovillian™

Default Help please

This is a Mortgage Lifter about 7 weeks old and was going to plant in garden when I noticed this. It looks like main stem has burst? Potting soil is MG with moisture control. I have about 30 transplants(2 more Mortgage lifters included) and this is the only plant doing this . What you think???
CDG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0711.jpg (160.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0710.jpg (131.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0713.jpg (124.7 KB, 18 views)
cdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

The soil looks way, way wet. What are your watering habits?
Old March 23, 2007   #3
cdg
Tomatovillian™

I soak thoroughly then wait till pots feel light and feel sorta dry . Usually 3/4 days . This plant was just watered when I noticed the split(Bulge?) in stem.
CDG
Old March 23, 2007   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. The only time I've seen anything like this was with cucumbers and squash that had been started in peat pots indoors. I've never seen a tomato do this. I wish I knew what to tell you.
Old March 23, 2007   #5
Tomaddict
Tomatovillian™

I've seen that before, but it's rare. And I'm the king of overwatering - I've left 'em swimming for days, and the seedlings are pretty resilient (but I don't recommend that!).

Just repot the plant (in a deeper pot) and bury the split part of the stem - chances are pretty good it will survive.

Good luck!
Old March 24, 2007   #6
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Any chance it got knocked over by someone or something and the stem was partially broken and then straightened up again?
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2007   #7
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

My experience with Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix is that it stays too wet. I bought one bag and never again. The regular MG Potting Mix is cheaper and works better for me.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2007   #8
cdg
Tomatovillian™

Hello , I do not believe there is any chance it was knocked over , I keep a pretty close watch on them. As far as the MG , it is my first time trying it , and this is the only plant of 30 with any problems.It seems if it were the potting soil there would be more than one plant showing this.Anyway , thanks for the suggestions , any one of them could be the answer , I just don't know .I have pleanty of backups so it's mainly curosity as to the cause . The problem was discovered WHILE I was watering is why the MG looks saturated , it was . But - I only water when they appear to need it , I do not keep them saturated as the photo appears. They are outside hardening off and they tend to dry in 2 to 5 days depending on temp. and wind and humidity level. When they were in the house they were watered about once a week . I'm sure it was overwatering but I have reasons to suspect it might be something else , but who knows ?? Anyway , I will not use the moisture control MG next year just in case . THANKS ALL !!!!!!
CDG