Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 3, 2008   #1
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Devirusing potatos

After reading back through this forum,i can tell that Tom tends to gets a little bit bored when nothing is being posted,so i thought i might write a thread about devirusing.
I have being growing two potatos -Rima, a maori cultivar with pink skin but more red around its shallow eyes, but they have always given me poor returns.So last spring i planted my largest spud in a pot till i had a shoot with roots long enough to remove from the tuber and transplant into the garden.The other potato i did was Robin Adair, a old Engish cultivar,They both grew spuds of about the same size as previous years but hopefully yields will improved in the coming seasons as i was recommended to do so by a old fella who i inherited these two from along with a few other cultivars that give me give me good yields (8 kgs-12 lbs)per plant,every year for the last 20.The theory behind this was that the virus is spread from tuber to tuber,snaping off the shoots supposedly breaks this cycle.
Unlike my other spuds Rima and Robin Adair don`t grow seed pods which i could work with to try to improve yields, so have a done the right thing????
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2008   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
i can tell that Tom tends to gets a little bit bored when nothing is being posted,so i thought i might write a thread about devirusing.
Thanks for posting. I have only myself to blame for being bit bored at times. I do like to see a lot of comments here on the potato section of TVille.

Sometimes I take the time to answer the various messages on the various posts and today I thought I could do it simply!

No such luck. I have about 10 pages of notes that need editing about the topic of devirusing potatoes. The July 4 holiday weekend is here and I may have to take a few days off to be with my sons and daughter and in-laws.

I think I may have some good ideas and loosely supported research that may be of interest to you. Give me the time to respond. Meanwhile here are some other potatoes that may be of interest to you in NZ. Note since they have the Adair variety, you may wish to call the officials that list these varieties to see if clean stock is available.

Tom

http://www.dect.org.nz/modules/AMS/i...5&submit=Go%21

Akaroa
pink/yellow

Arran Banner, Scotland
white

Banks Peninsula

Bluff Whaler, Spain
blue/white

Chatham Id.
pink/yellow

Chatham Id. Red Rock