Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 30, 2018   #196
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Sure, it wasn't horribly difficult, but, I did have to cross the line into Washington state and go to a US Postal office to get a US money order. We do go over frequently so it was no big deal. However, compare that other US vendors that accept on line payments like Tradewinds or Baker Creek, much easier. Perhaps they don't want to incur the extra cost of on line orders, but I think it would certainly be offset by an increase the volume of their sales.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #197
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Alex, I'm looking at Glenn's 2017 catalog right now and what I see is the following.

For seeds, Roots and Book orders

Shipping and Handling for US seed orders, $3.00 US only

Foreign seed orders ( Canada, add $8 US, other foreign add $10 US/order.

I didn't look at the new site since you had said "over the last several Years".

I don't see anything saying via Money orders at all. And most of my friends in Canada,which are many,keep US cash on hand or can get it from a local bank.

Where have I gone wrong,always a possibility,such as can you have a money order made out to send to Glenn and Linda in US dollars?

Tania sends all over the world, that I know,so does Jeff Casey, but there is one place, has Heritage as part of the name that won't send to the US, so what folks do is to have that place send what they order to someone in Canada,who will then repackage it and send it to the US.

I know part of this is related to Canadian/US Customs, as to shipping anything live, like roots,etc, from US to Canada and having to have a phytosanitary certificate to do so, which is too expensive for any single person to do.

Just trying to be helpful, but maybe not.

Carolyn
Carolyn,

They insist that orders from Canada be submitted in US funds which is fine, but since they do not have an on line payment option it means going to the bank to get a money order or draft and in today's electronic commercial transaction age it is like asking to use the old rotary phone to make a call. The tellers look at me with puzzlement and anxiety!! It takes ten minutes before they can find the forms and the right person, usually my age, who knows how to fill one out.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #198
klemmabyna
Tomatovillian™

I know there are many, many seed sorces these days with glitzy web sites and pictures...

but I can not give a higher recommendation than Sand Hill Preservation Center.

thank you again for your great service!
klemmabyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #199
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I second that. Sand Hill is a small operation with a huge variety of seed and very reasonable prices. They are generous with the packet sizes as well. It can take longer than online ordering, but given how much they do and the limited resources they're working with I don't mind having to jump through some hoops to place an order. The methodology may be retro, but their products ARE heirlooms. ;+)

I think many of the rare varieties of watermelon and tomatoes I used to hunt for and buy for five bucks a pack at online retailers were probably sourced from SHPC originally. Cutting out the middle man and ordering direct let's me get even more varieties and save money too. If you order seed early it's less likely to be sold out and you'll still get it in plenty of time for planting.. If it is sold out and you can find it at an online retailer it's not hard to guess who bought it.

Last edited by oldman; November 12, 2018 at 09:05 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #200
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I second that. Sand Hill is a small operation with a huge variety od seed and very reasonable prices. They are generous with the packet sizes ae well. It can take longer that online ordering, but given how much they do and the limited resources they're working with I don't mind having to jump through some hoops to place an order. The methodology may be retro, but their products ARE heirlooms. ;+)

I think many of the rare varieties of watermelon and tomatoes I used to hunt for and buy for five bucks a pack at online retailers were probably sourced from SHPC originally. Cutting out the middle man and ordering direct let's me get even more varieties and save money too. If you order seed early it's less likely to be sold out and you'll still get it in plenty of time for planting.. If it is sold out and you can find it at an online retailer it's not hard to guess who bought it.
For many years Glenn was the Curator for SSE of melons and squash and cucurbits, etc.,and that's why he lists so many of those types.

But I'm glad I read this thread now and here's why.

Glenn's wife Linda had a really horrible medical experience recently,this is not the place for me to go into detail.And Linda is the one who is in charge of the computer.

It's been several months now that she has been transferred from one hospital to another, right now I don't know if she's even home now, so I must either call their private # or better, send an e-mail to Glenn,his personal e-mail.

Obviously he's back teaching now at the local HS, so I MUST contact him to get updated.

We've known each other for several decades.

Carolyn
Old November 12, 2018   #201
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Glenn posted about two weeks ago that things may be improving for Linda. It has been a terribly rough ride for them, so it was great to hear that.

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com...year-in-review (their news page).
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #202
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Glenn posted about two weeks ago that things may be improving for Linda. It has been a terribly rough ride for them, so it was great to hear that.

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com...year-in-review (their news page).
Thanks so much for that update,but I'm still going to contact Glenn at the school where he teaches.After all I've known both of them for many decades.

And I totally forgot that I had the newest link to Sandhill in my faves.

Carolyn
Old November 17, 2018   #203
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks so much for that update,but I'm still going to contact Glenn at the school where he teaches.After all I've known both of them for many decades.

And I totally forgot that I had the newest link to Sandhill in my faves.

Carolyn
I'm very much back in touch with Glenn and thanks to George from OK who Pmed me with some information on how to reach him. Linda is not yet back home, but hopefully by next Friday, and that's as far as i think I should go in public.

I would only like to say that I hope many of you reading this will continue to buy seeds from Glenn when things settle down, since they have many bills to pay and I know I will continue to send him, well Shawn will since with few exceptions I sent all of my seeds to Shawn for our seed offer here last Spring, many new varieties I know he doesn't have.

Carolyn
Old December 17, 2018   #204
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, do you know when they might be posting a 2019 catalog? I just went to the website and he said Linda is home now but they still have the 2018 catalog up on the website. I've quietly followed along reading what's been posted here about what happened to Linda. I've been praying for them(not trying to push my beliefs on anyone). I've had a loved one almost pass away from a very similar incident.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018   #205
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Carolyn, do you know when they might be posting a 2019 catalog? I just went to the website and he said Linda is home now but they still have the 2018 catalog up on the website. I've quietly followed along reading what's been posted here about what happened to Linda. I've been praying for them(not trying to push my beliefs on anyone). I've had a loved one almost pass away from a very similar incident.
No, I don't know when Glenn will be posting a 2019 catalog. But last we talked he said he is home from where he teaches at ????o clock,which is my ??? time and to call him then.

And I wrote that info down somewhere but don't know where.

Fact is that it's Linda who does all the computer updating of everything,not Glenn. And while Linda is home now I have a problem seeing her updating anything rather than to continue her healing.

Sorry I can't be more precise.
I just remembered I have the latest Sandhill in my faves and this is what I read.

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com...year-in-review

I know the above link will clarify for you what has been happening.

Carolyn
Old December 17, 2018   #206
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

In the past, Sandhill was about the last catalog to update. I think last year it happened a bit quicker with their new website. As Carolyn said, it literally is a Mom and Pop style operation so you just have to roll with it! They are great folks doing great work. I just can't wait until I have room to get some of their heirloom chickens!

Glenn is fine having you order early from the previous year's listing - things don't change that much year-to-year and if you don't mind a substitution if the occasional variety had a poor crop, that's a way to get your order in early.

Last edited by PhilaGardener; December 17, 2018 at 07:12 PM.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019   #207
klemmabyna
Tomatovillian™

spring fever finally hit here in Wisconsin, so started my Sand Hill Preservation seeds this weekend.

if Glenn is a school teacher as reported, it must not be math!

VERY generous seed counts in packets labeled as holding 15 seeds.

thank you again for great service.
Old January 26, 2020   #208
klemmabyna
Tomatovillian™

2020: just a bump back to the top. my favorite seed source. can't stop buying new varieties. don't have enough land to plant all the seeds I get!

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/tomato
Old March 8, 2020   #209
OhioGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
2020: just a bump back to the top. my favorite seed source. can't stop buying new varieties. don't have enough land to plant all the seeds I get!

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/tomato
I've bought a lot of their stuff over the years. They have many old varieties that are hard to find elsewhere and there are some real gems if you Google them for photos and better descriptions. My understanding from their news page is they're an older couple dealing with some serious personal/health issues, so this is a resource that may not always be available. In my hunt for high tetra-cis-lycopene varieties, I found them to be the only available source of Orange Crimea which I grew out and saved last year.

Debbie
OhioGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2020   #210
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i ordered in mid feb, and got it around the first of march. big order for me since i hadn't
ordered anything last year in trying to keep expenses down. this years order ended up
being $95.00 including shipping. choosing only one bean or lettuce or carrot or squash or cucumber is near impossible for me. i did order just one tomato. i have a back log of
tomato varieties to grow, and can't justify buying more. i like having sandhill preservation as a seed source. i will continue to support them.

keith