Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 3, 2021   #1
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Default Low quality coco coir?

Hi growers,

I recently collected some coco coir from Bunnings which is completely different from the previous blocks i bought from there, but is in the exact same packaging.

Previously, the coir was ground up smaller and was more fluffy, but these blocks are more like chips compressed together.
They still soak up water pretty quickly but i'm skeptical that it will work the same when mixed with other soil, does anyone have experience with the more coarse chunky coco?

If it's in the exact same packaging as before, i feel i should expect the same results but i'm not confident.

Opinions? Experience?

Thanks.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2021   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If it looks different it will usually behave differently. Never used coco but I have used professional peat mixes and even those have batch to batch variance that will lead to obviously different results.
From what it sounds it's less processed coco peat that you got there, so water retention will be lower but probably higher aeration.
Also, not sure why are people calling coco peat coco coir. Coir is the fiber on the coconut, they make door mats out of it. It is used only as an addition, I don't think one could make a very good medium out of it.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2021   #3
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
If it looks different it will usually behave differently. Never used coco but I have used professional peat mixes and even those have batch to batch variance that will lead to obviously different results.
From what it sounds it's less processed coco peat that you got there, so water retention will be lower but probably higher aeration.
Also, not sure why are people calling coco peat coco coir. Coir is the fiber on the coconut, they make door mats out of it. It is used only as an addition, I don't think one could make a very good medium out of it.
I just call it what the label says.

This is definitely different though.... it's usally ground up into peat/pith but has fibers all through it too, and this stuff is all chips.

Pretty frustrating but i have it now so i'll see how it works.
Old September 3, 2021   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

The spongier pieces retain more water, so this one almost surely will be less retentive, might work better with automated watering. I've given up on finding the best medium, I always get something different the next year in the same bag.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2021   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Look for coco coir pith.

https://www.bagicho.com/products/coc...SAAEgJMBvD_BwE

We tried them all I think.Been using above mixed with rice hulls.Product has been consistent for us.
Old September 3, 2021   #6
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
https://www.bagicho.com/products/coc...SAAEgJMBvD_BwE

We tried them all I think.Been using above mixed with rice hulls.Product has been consistent for us.
Did the coco chips mixed with soil work ok for you?
Old September 4, 2021   #7
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Master Shake, there are lots of different grades and suppliers of supposedly the same grade are not always selling the same product here in OZ. Sounds like you have one of the grade meant for seedling Orchids rather than a true coco peat type block. Lots sold by Orchid nurseries as it retains moisture but still allows good air flow through pots.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2021   #8
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Master Shake, there are lots of different grades and suppliers of supposedly the same grade are not always selling the same product here in OZ. Sounds like you have one of the grade meant for seedling Orchids rather than a true coco peat type block. Lots sold by Orchid nurseries as it retains moisture but still allows good air flow through pots.
Hi Whwoz,

The latest bricks i got where the exact same labelled 'coco coir' i have bought previously, which were very good quality fluffy peat looking stuff when soaked, unlike these bricks which are more like chips.
I didn't even look at them before bringing them home, just had them put in my boot because of covid.
Exactly the same labels, completely different quality.

I'll just have to see how it works.
Old September 4, 2021   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

No chips at all,just fluff.Used to mix soil but the quality of them went downhill here.The pro mix from Canada recently had a bunch of hornworms in them,plus some metal pieces,landscape plastic,visible to the eye.So now it’s coco pith,mixed with rice hulls.The rice hulls break down real nice,hold water and keeps the ferts in the pots.And it is cheap.

https://www.amleo.com/rice-hull-bale...SABEgIbevD_BwE

Last edited by kurt; September 4, 2021 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Additional info
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2021   #10
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No chips at all,just fluff.Used to mix soil but the quality of them went downhill here.The pro mix from Canada recently had a bunch of hornworms in them,plus some metal pieces,landscape plastic,visible to the eye.So now it’s coco pith,mixed with rice hulls.The rice hulls break down real nice,hold water and keeps the ferts in the pots.And it is cheap.

https://www.amleo.com/rice-hull-bale...SABEgIbevD_BwE
Thanks for the response but i'm in Australia and i'm trying to buy things locally so i don't have to pay for shipping and other expenses.
Old September 4, 2021   #11
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Soil substitutes seem pretty variable in moisture retention ability, and sometimes old favorite brands change.

I might consider myself a somewhat advanced home gardener, but have to "relearn" the characteristics of the product I buy every year. I usually have leftovers from last year and mix it with whatever is available this year in a couple of large garbage cans.

I don't buy seed-starting mix: I just screen pebbles and sticks out.

At least everything I use in a given season is uniform. I understand that some might find this method inconvenient and be jealous of the storage space it requires.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old September 5, 2021   #12
killab
Tomatovillian™

I have had "chips" before but they still break up fairly readily after soaking up water...these are just staying hard?
killab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2021   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Amazon has the coco coir pith in your country.
This might soften the costs,we get ours free shipping on the prime feature.

Last edited by kurt; September 5, 2021 at 01:04 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2021   #14
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Hi Whwoz,

The latest bricks i got where the exact same labelled 'coco coir' i have bought previously, which were very good quality fluffy peat looking stuff when soaked, unlike these bricks which are more like chips.
I didn't even look at them before bringing them home, just had them put in my boot because of covid.
Exactly the same labels, completely different quality.

I'll just have to see how it works.
Unfortunately at times there is a lack of quality control with some of these products Master Shake
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2021   #15
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Amazon has the coco coir pith in your country.
This might soften the costs,we get ours free shipping on the prime feature.
Thanks again, appreciate the input. I will consider it but i try to NEVER use Amazon, if at all possible.

I can't stand that monopoly or Jeff Bezos.