Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 3, 2013   #31
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to Carolyn's posting of a thread about germination results, reminds me that I'd like to hear about germination rates for Elbonian Mud Ball (F2 2008).

It would give me an idea of the viability of several older varieties in my collection.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #32
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hiya,
Only planted two seeds but they didn't come up. i still have plenty of time to re-sow so I will try again. want to see what this one is like
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #33
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

I planted a several but none have germinated yet. I'm still trying them though, have them in a paper towel in a ziploc bag hoping that will help, but it has been a few weeks already
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #34
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Bummer.

I started a few varieties that I harvested the same year as EMB. These other varieties are sprouting now, after more than a week from sowing. I'll try seeding EMB in a few days. Likely it'll be a few dozen seeds, after seeing your post.

Gary
Old April 8, 2013   #35
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Well this sure sounds like an interesting take on a black tomato lol...athough, I'd need a helluva lot of akvavit or any other alcohol for that matter to eat fish someone peed on

Just thought i'd let you know Seek No Further Loveapple is doing great! Can't wait till harvest!
Old April 8, 2013   #36
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just put my EMB in cups yesterday to germinate. There was also one seed called "Searching for Blue Zebra F4" and I planted that one, too.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2013   #37
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I had 0% germination (about 30 seeds) this spring. Anyone out there have anything germinate? I think I'll soon test germinate about another 100 seeds to see if anything sprouts (I have a few thousand seeds).

Luckily, a cross-town gardener gave me some F3 seed he saved from 2010. He said it produced large black tomatoes with barely visible stripes.

Gary
Old October 15, 2013   #38
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

How did he describe the taste? You are going to have to be better at selling this tomato even for free.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2013   #39
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda'skid View Post
How did he describe the taste? You are going to have to be better at selling this tomato even for free.
He described it better than moi.

"Different" if I remember correctly. I now know his only requirements in a tomato is anything as seedless as possible (not U2/EMB), not caring about flavor, shape, color, size, etc...

I'm not going to repeat my description of the taste, so as to not offend those with a weak stomach.

Gary
Old March 4, 2014   #40
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

Did any of your 2008 F2 of Elbonian Mudball ever sprout?
Old March 5, 2014   #41
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

"Maybe".

A few months ago, I started 20 seeds on wet paper towel inside a clear sealable baggie. After 14 days, one had a root poke through about 1/8" long. Two more had the same small root poke through after 17 days. The first to germinate had not grown anymore after these 3 more days. None split the seedcoat.

So, I'll struggle to see if I can get any to root in a few weeks. I do have lots of seed to play with.

I'll probably add a little diluted MG to one test batch.

Gary

Last edited by Tormato; March 5, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old March 5, 2014   #42
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I put all the seeds you sent me in a wet paper towel in a bag and put it on my refrigerator door under a magnet. One sprouted a root about an inch long before I noticed it. I planted it but so far nothing has emerged. I am wondering what you are hoping to get from this with your efforts keeping 1000 seeds. I am assuming you really liked the one pink parent from the roadside stand. If it lives I will plant it but so far no leaves just a root.
Old March 6, 2014   #43
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I simply save what I save.

The year the Elbonian Mud Ball showed up was a bumper crop year for tomatoes. The taste did not "agree" with me, so into the sauce pot it goes. I don't like ANY seeds in my sauce, so I try to squeeze them all out.

I really don't expect anything out of the grow-outs, as I'd rather be totally suprised if anything good shows up. The F1 did produce 28 ounce, smooth nearly flawless looking fruit. So, maybe there's some potential for a really large black. Maybe a PL to boot. One parent was a 2 lb+ PL pink beefsteak.

Also, as I'm finding out now, saving loads of seeds may help if germination rates are very low.

Besides, who else can berate dark tomatoes, by name alone, other than me?
Old March 6, 2014   #44
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I have leaves - only one plant though.
Old March 6, 2014   #45
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

None came up last year, so last month I put the remainder in a paper towel damped with a weak solution of Texas Tomato Food. I inserted that into a sealed baggie and left it on a laundry room floor with radiant heat (everything else germinates on that floor). After a month, nothing.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote