Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 6, 2021   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Raybo's Garden and Hummingbirds - June 6

You may recall this composite photo from a month ago:

The June 6 photo is too tall to do any more composites. Growth over the past 30 days has been excellent:

Dona F1 is my growth leader. Lot's of clusters developing:

The Dona F3 is also doing great:

Momotaro (which was my first to set fruit) is looking well:

Bianca and King Arthur Peppers, with Sweet Success cukes:

And Colossal Peppers:

I had one Red Bell Pepper plant that survived the mild Winter here now with nice fruit development:

A Hummingbird checking out the new Feeder:

I have about 6 Hummingbirds making regular feeding visits each day:

So far, no bugs nor fungal issues to deal with:

Happy Camper,

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2021   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Agama lizard versus the Hummingbird.

We keep Purple Bleeding Heart vines,Blue Sky Vine for pollinators.Close to them we put up two feeders.After sorting out the ant invaders along come these agama lizards that I saw jump from vine and try to catch a Hummingbird on the feeder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=agim...obile&ie=UTF-8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A02EEC55-FCB9-4CB1-9184-45041916FBF4.jpg (220.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 90E47330-7C25-4665-8332-E10BC2FA8A5B.jpg (173.3 KB, 70 views)
Old June 7, 2021   #3
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Looking amazing as always Raybo!

I'm still using earthtainers, though after this season, I'm going to have to retire them and build new ones as the plastic is toast...but I got many years of awesome service out of them and countless tomatoes. BTW, what is the latest greatest final update on your construction guide?

This year has been unique in the Dallas area with rain falling and cool temps for most days for the last 6 weeks. Had to do some serious pruning to try to get early blight and other diseases under control. So far, so good, but, tomatoes do not love an almost always wet environment! Take care bud!

Dewayne.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2021   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey Dewayne,

The EarthTiner Guide has not changed in 7 years - still Version 3.9. I will attach it here.

Try to find the 31 gallon totes made by Centrex Corp. Mine have lasted 8 years and going strong. Remember, you can reuse all the internals from your old EarthTainers - just replace the outer container only.

Raybo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EarthTainer 3.9 May 15, 2014 FINAL.pdf (1.97 MB, 14 views)
Old June 8, 2021   #5
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Raybo,

Your garden's looking great! It inspired me to go out this morning and give my in-ground plants another dose of AgroThrive . (It's been about 2-1/2 weeks since the last application). I love your addition of the hummingbird feeder. The whole set-up looks so lush, tranquil, and relaxing. I'm assuming you've had beautiful weather so far and spend alot of time just sitting (or soaking) in the yard taking it all in.

Hope the plants continue to be bug and disease free. One of my kratky eggplant got hit by ants and aphids already , but I think it will pull through OK after some treatments and severe pruning. Everything else seems to be doing good in spite of the past several days being in the high 90's - low 100's. I'm amazed that I haven't seen much of any blossom drop.

Well, enjoy the garden - especially while the good weather lasts out your way . I'm looking forward to your first harvest photos!

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2021   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Anne,

I think we owe a big "Thank You" to RayR over there in trendy, downtown, Cheektowaga for turning us on to AgroThrive!

It has made a huge improvement in my crop so far this Season. I'll continue to apply it all Summer.

Raybo
Old June 8, 2021   #7
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

I agree! I don't want to jinx things, but it did cross my mind that maybe the surprising lack of blossom drop (so far) might be due in part to the fertilizer?? I was wondering if maybe it was a "dwarf thing," but my one non-dwarf semi-determinate Mountain Gem is loaded with new blossoms - so .

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote