Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2017   #286
oakley
Tomatovillian™

10 day forecast in the NYC area shows some chilly temps and lots of rain. I would only plant out if
i was running out of room storing plants. Best to wait as you have nice looking plants and not so
many. Yes, you can/should add some soil to your pots. You can pinch of the cotyledons, the lower
little leaves. More roots will form on your newly covered stems. You will want to plant them that
deep anyway so might as well give them some rooting head start....
(nice yogurt, little granola, fresh fruit, mmm good)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #287
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to the jungle....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170504_131226(1).jpg (330.4 KB, 98 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #288
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Welcome to the jungle....
To heck with applause, I'm throwing money!. That's beautiful Cole!.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #289
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Awesome - simply Awesome !!
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #290
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I guess awesome at least! Beautiful Cole! Had 8" rain here in Central Indiana and some due tonight and tomorrow. A lot of corn and bean fields flooded etc. Looks like your pretty plants are anxious to get out of there to market and plant. I will wait a few days and look out 10 days to see if i dare plant ( i have only 220 plants with 40 spots) i am just a retired guy who eats a lot of toms - prob give plants to neighbors and friends.
Wife looked today at the Jungle in our Kitchen Dining Nook and just said ug
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TOMS 542017.jpg (437.7 KB, 95 views)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #291
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, guys. And yes, they definitely need to go soon. Osmocote Plus works a little too well. I should have stuck with the regular Osmocote flower and vegetable to give the plants more shelf life. I had one customer take about 120 plants today. Hopefully, I will sell a little more than that at the next market. My own garden will get about 250 more, and then I am going to stock the community garden in my town with whatever they will take.

I have to get rid of a lot of those tomato plants to make more room for my sunflowers:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170504_131204.jpg (417.7 KB, 91 views)
Old May 5, 2017   #292
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
I guess awesome at least! Beautiful Cole! Had 8" rain here in Central Indiana and some due tonight and tomorrow. A lot of corn and bean fields flooded etc. Looks like your pretty plants are anxious to get out of there to market and plant. I will wait a few days and look out 10 days to see if i dare plant ( i have only 220 plants with 40 spots) i am just a retired guy who eats a lot of toms - prob give plants to neighbors and friends.
Wife looked today at the Jungle in our Kitchen Dining Nook and just said ug
Pete
Looks like they're ready to rock n roll tryno! . Gettin close planting time. .hope it dries up a bit. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #293
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Gotta warm a bit too, down in lower 30's coming up - to "scart" to put 'em in too old to run and cover for frost. was out in palm desert - down to salton sea to look at veggie fields in 3/15/2017 nice veggies! Salton Sea is weird place Cole, i'm in zone 6 (a or b ??) as you are 6, you decided on a plant out date or, like me just waiting it out?
Pete
Old May 5, 2017   #294
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Cole, i hope you sell as many as you WANT? to sell! I am going to have to repot some of mine - out growing their media - first time grower might get lucky and keep pushing my luck?
Pete
Old May 5, 2017   #295
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have to get rid of a lot of those tomato plants to make more room for my sunflowers:
It would be difficult to add an original touch to the congratulations you got above. Quantity and quality are really impressive. What I like in Tville is its ability to welcome all tomato growers, big ones as well as small ones growing some plants somewhere in the house, just where the wife gives a green light.

I'll be glad to get information about your sunflowers. Do you grow decorative varieties people will plant in their gardens to enjoy very big flowers or are they grown to harvest the seeds to feed farm animals or for oil ? In that case don't farmers sow them directly in the fields ?
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #296
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

These are mine. Some got leggy since I don't have growing lights. I'll plant them deep and they will be fine.
Our last frost date is in 10 days but we haven't had frost since 10 February. I 'll start hardening them off.
Thanks, Marsha and Lindy, a lot of these seedlings are growing here thanks to you.

INDETERMINATE - CHERRY
Piccolo/Honingtomaat F6
Fruit punch
Supersweet 100 F1
Aurantiacum
Sun gold F1
Snow white
Rose Quartz multiflora
Raisin vert / Green grape
Glossy rose blue
Dancing with smurfs
Reverend Michael Keyes
Barry's crazy cherry
Rebel Alliance

INDETERMINATE - COCKTAIL / SALADETTE
Brandy sweet plum
Stalactiet
Artisan green tiger
Artisan blush tiger
Artisan Sunrise Bumble Bee
Artisan Pink Bumble Bee
Artisan Purple Bumble Bee

INDETERMINATE - SALAD
Green zebra

INDETERMINATE - BEEFSTEAK
Liguria
Costoluto fiorentino
Reisetomat / Voyage
Azoychka
Orange Russian
Malakhitovaya shkatulka
Lithium sunset
Rebel Yell
Wes
Purden's purple
Solar Flare

INDETERMINATE - PLUM
Speckled roman
Hohloma / Khokhloma
Prue

CURRANT TOMATOES
Currant sweet pea
Currant gold rush
White currant
Spoon
Tomatito de Jalapa
Solanum spontaneum

DETERMINATE
Sprite
Tigrette
Arbuznyi
Yellow pear

DWARFS AND HANGING PLANTS
Tumbling tom
Red Robin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170505_100406.jpg (304.0 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Ann123; May 5, 2017 at 04:30 AM.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #297
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I think I see Tumbling Tom and Red Robin, bottom right. They're all beautiful Ann, nice job. Not many potato leaf varieties, is that by design? I lean to them and found them less finicky in my climate, some gardeners say they're sweeter.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #298
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Bottom right are indeed the red Robins.
It is the first time I have potato leaves but indeed not a lot of them. If they are easier (and sweeter) I'll grow more of them next year. Thanks for your friendly words.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #299
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
I'll be glad to get information about your sunflowers. Do you grow decorative varieties people will plant in their gardens to enjoy very big flowers or are they grown to harvest the seeds to feed farm animals or for oil ? In that case don't farmers sow them directly in the fields ?
Thanks. And yes, most sunflowers are direct-sown. But mine are dwarf varieties that will grow and bloom in small pots. I bought the seed from Johnny's: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/flowers/s...rf-sunflowers/
Old May 5, 2017   #300
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Great looking plants Cole! Very impressive. You must be happy with this season so far.
Hope you get nice market weather this weekend. Looks like you will have sunflowers
blooming by MothersDay. Good timing. The dwarfs have such broad canopies. I had one
beauty TeddyBear bloom just after the NewYear with a perfect leaf spread of at least
10 inches and only about 5 inches tall.

Nice healthy plants Ann. Off to a good start. -i grew dwarf sunflowers all winter as a test
for a children's urban gardening project. Nice to have fresh potted flowers the past snowy
months. I have a leftover tray like Coles i'll use as a bedding planting somewhere.

The large varieties i plant in thick long rows outside my fenced garden as a deer
deterrent/distraction. They usually buffet on maybe 10-20%, Birds get their fill, and i have
plenty left to save seed for the next year....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote