Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 26, 2012   #1
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Default What should I add?

I've been growing tomatoes in tubs for years now using my own mix of composted manure, potting mix, compost and some sand. I know this is not "the reccomended tub mix" but it works well for me, at least I think it does, the plants always grow out of their concrete wire cages - 6 ft.
Just cleaned and bleached my tubs and I'm looking for any suggestions as to what I might add to make my mix better. Peat? Pine bark fines? Perlite?
Thanks,
Barry
barryla61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #2
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

In the past I've used 5 gallon bucket, used equal parts of top soil, perlite, peat moss, and compost. I also add about a handful of bone meal and 1/2 cup of lime. Some people like to sterilize their mix and some don't. It's a personal choice. This mix has worked fine for me in the past when using containers.
DP
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #3
elight
Tomatovillian™

Barry, are these self-watering containers or traditional containers?
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Barry, if it aint broke, don't fix it. It sounds like your aggregate blend seems to be doing well. Only suggestion I can make is use MycoGrow Soluable and Actinovate on seedling plant out. Both are organic and will help protect the plant from soil borne disease and make nutrients more available to the plants. Ami
Old March 27, 2012   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Barry, if it aint broke, don't fix it. It sounds like your aggregate blend seems to be doing well. Only suggestion I can make is use MycoGrow Soluable and Actinovate on seedling plant out. Both are organic and will help protect the plant from soil borne disease and make nutrients more available to the plants. Ami
I agree.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #6
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
Barry, are these self-watering containers or traditional containers?
Not self watering
Old March 27, 2012   #7
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Will Tomato Tone do this?
Old March 28, 2012   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Will Tomato Tone do this?

No. Tomato Tone has no Mycorrhizae and does not contain the same Bacteria strain used in Actinovate. Actinovate can also be applied as a foliar during the course of the growing season as it is an excellent fungicide as well. But you can add Tomato Tone to your aggregate mix to supplement the nutrient requirements of the plants as they grow. Ami