Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 13, 2023   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default Replant

Today it was getting late enough for the ten day old seedlings to be popping up. Since twelve have not, twelve substitutes got planted. Another week and it may be a year without the variety I want. Plenty of plants but maybe there will be doubles...or triples.

Peppers are great, wife's flowers better than ever, old seed maybe not doing so well.
Old March 14, 2023   #2
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Patience, young grasshopper. If the seeds are old, maybe their joints are stiff and it's just going to take them a little longer to get going in the morning.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2023   #3
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I planted about 200 varieties using old seed. So far, only a few of them produced a seedling or two. These seed are mostly 8 to 10 years old though I tried a few that were 18 years old. None of the 18 year old seed germinated. The 8 and 10 year old seed in a few varieties made it. I also started a lot of 2018 saved seed which is now 4.5 years old. Most of them made it though a few were no-shows. Fortunately, most of the varieties that did not make it were easy to replace. I wound up with nearly 300 varieties with viable seedlings.

What variety do you want?
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2023   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Over the years I have woken up seeds between 10 and 18 years old. Most of this year's seeds were in the 3-8 year old age. With a collection of about 200 varieties there will always be some no-shows in the thirty or so planted. Late comers will catch up I am sure. If not, that is OK I will go with what I have.

As for what I want...this year it is hearts and blacks with a few others tossed in for good measure. No one particular variety, but I will look around for your favorite, Darrel.
Old March 14, 2023   #5
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

I could not get Beaver Lodge Slicer to germinate and I had two different sources of seeds. I have one I can plant outside next week, but I usually have three to six, they are the first to produce in mid May and they are so tasty.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2023   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

For hearts, I'm partial to Anna Russian, Kosovo, and Tastiheart.
Old March 15, 2023   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
The first two make the list on an irregular basis...very nice. Your Tastiheart is my kind of tomato. Now there are two of yours that need to be tried...Lynwood and Tastiheart. Seed availability? Lynwood from Sand Hill, but Tastiheart?
Old March 15, 2023   #8
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I would like to try out the tastiheart but can't locate a supplier, do you happen to have extra that I can buy? Thanks much.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2023   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Tastiheart origin was from a bee made cross of Large Pink Bulgarian in Chuck Wyatt's tomato garden. I purchased seed in either 2002 or 2003 and grew 2 plants that matched Large Pink Bulgarian and a third plant that produced distinctly different fruit. I saved seed separately for the odd plant and grew them the next year. The result was 2 potato leaf plants with heart shaped fruit which I designated A and B. In future growouts, I eventually dropped the smaller fruited line and kept the large. I sent out seed for others to grow and Eyolf selected Heshpole from the offspring. If you have grown Heshpole, you will find Tastiheart very similar.

One other event shaped Tastiheart. In 2007, a hard freeze to 22 degrees on April 7th struck my plants hard. I did not anticpate temperatures that low and did not protect my plants adequately. About 1/4 of the Tastiheart plants survived the cold weather. I propagated from the cold tested plants so that today Tastiheart has some ability to tolerate low temperatures.

The picture of a sliced tomato with a bite taken out on my homepage is Tastiheart. The plate is a full size dinner plate and the slices are about 4.5 inches across. Yes, it was delicious!

http://www.selectedplants.com/garden...eartsliced.jpg

I checked seed and have about 300 from 2020. Germination was over 90% this year so they are viable. If you two will send me PM's with your address I will forward a small pack of seed.
Old March 20, 2023   #10
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Tastiheart origin was from a bee made cross of Large Pink Bulgarian in Chuck Wyatt's tomato garden. I purchased seed in either 2002 or 2003 and grew 2 plants that matched Large Pink Bulgarian and a third plant that produced distinctly different fruit. I saved seed separately for the odd plant and grew them the next year. The result was 2 potato leaf plants with heart shaped fruit which I designated A and B. In future growouts, I eventually dropped the smaller fruited line and kept the large. I sent out seed for others to grow and Eyolf selected Heshpole from the offspring. If you have grown Heshpole, you will find Tastiheart very similar.

One other event shaped Tastiheart. In 2007, a hard freeze to 22 degrees on April 7th struck my plants hard. I did not anticpate temperatures that low and did not protect my plants adequately. About 1/4 of the Tastiheart plants survived the cold weather. I propagated from the cold tested plants so that today Tastiheart has some ability to tolerate low temperatures.

The picture of a sliced tomato with a bite taken out on my homepage is Tastiheart. The plate is a full size dinner plate and the slices are about 4.5 inches across. Yes, it was delicious!

http://www.selectedplants.com/garden...eartsliced.jpg

I checked seed and have about 300 from 2020. Germination was over 90% this year so they are viable. If you two will send me PM's with your address I will forward a small pack of seed.

Did you receive my PM with my address? Thanks so much!
Old March 20, 2023   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I shipped seed Friday. You should receive it in a day or two.
Old March 20, 2023   #12
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I shipped seed Friday. You should receive it in a day or two.

Wonderful! Thank you so much! Looking forward to trying them out!
Old March 20, 2023   #13
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Fusion- I received the seeds today!! Thank you,thank you!
Old March 21, 2023   #14
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Me, too. Thanks.
Old March 21, 2023   #15
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Oh yummy! I am full up for this year what with adding Lynwood to my garden starts, but if you all grow, please save seed and I would love to try Tastiheart next year.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote