Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2015   #16
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a lot of room and this is only my fourth year. But the one plant I consistently love is Koralik. They are a bushy, determinate red cherry from Poland. They have delicious little cherries in sixty days and keep going for my whole (short) season. It's odd because Tatiana's and my whole family says they are sweet. But to me they just taste like a delicious, well balanced big tomato. But we all agree that we love them. They are not particularly disease resistant, but nothing stops them. They crack a bit (maybe half of them) at the end of the season, which I consider an excuse to eat them right away. The ones that don't crack last pretty long on the counter, too.

Last edited by Bipetual; June 22, 2015 at 06:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #17
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I juice most of my tomatoes so in general they are all suitable, since in my relatively short growing season what is produced is just fine. A cool not so sunny Summer is not conducive to have prolific quality tomatoes.

My favorite beyond a doubt is the dark types. Both for juice and slicing. Most are very similar. I also like Lemon Boy since I find it to be almost perfect in shape and size and most prolific.

So far this year, it looks promising, in spite of it being cool. I only have about 40 plants.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #18
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

There are some in my garden that I haven't tasted yet, that I'm hoping will be on my favorite list but so far my all time and this year's favorites are Spudakee and Carbon Copy. Wish CC wasn't splitting from our weekly rainstorms but even so, it's wonderfully complex and very similar in flavor to Spudakee.
Spudakee is kicking out a ton of tomatoes and may be one of the heaviest producers I've ever had. Flavor is amazing.
Waiting to taste Cherokee Green, Cherokee Chocolate and KBX, along with a bunch of others. I planted out over a 6 week period so some of my 75 plants are just starting to produce little greenies. Cherokee Chocolate got chomped to the ground by a horse or goat but it's catching up fast and has one small tomato on it now.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #19
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Tracy

I pick CC in the blushing stage to avoid splitting. If a rain is forecast I try to pick them the day before. I lost many to splitting till I started doing this. Let them ripen on the counter and the flavor will still be superb .

ron

ps
I am growing 10 CC plants and still in love with the flavor and the productivity is
unbelievably good.
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #20
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

It's too early for me to comment on this season's harvest, but last year my favs were:

Little Lucky
Indian Stripe
Carbon Copy
Russian Cherry

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #21
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

Favorite is Better Boy but Big Beef is making me reconsider. For a good meaty canner, I am growing Heinz 1439 (3) and wish I had room for more. Need 10 or more for some real canning. The only problem with the Heinz is that when they toss out the production they are done. Lots of other small determinates will flower and deliver again but the Heinz 1439 you just pull the plant.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #22
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHondaNut View Post
Favorite is Better Boy but Big Beef is making me reconsider. For a good meaty canner, I am growing Heinz 1439 (3) and wish I had room for more. Need 10 or more for some real canning. The only problem with the Heinz is that when they toss out the production they are done. Lots of other small determinates will flower and deliver again but the Heinz 1439 you just pull the plant.
Big Beef will keep on keeping on but you will need much more of a support system because it can get quite large.

Every year my favorites are different because every year a new one or two will be exceptionally good tasting that year. Below is a list of the ones that are outstanding most of the time.

Indian Stripe (both leaf types)
German Johnson
Brandywine Sudduth's and Cowlick's
Limbaugh's Legacy
Donskoi
Giant Belgium
Couilles de taureau
Red Brandywine (from TGS)
Spudakee
JD's Special C Tex
Carbon
Druzba
Pruden's Purple
Barlow Jap
Dester
Henderson's Winsall
Red Barn
Neves Azorean Red
Royal Hillbilly
Tarasenko-6
Arkansas Traveler
Berkley Tie Dye Pink
Black Krim
Black from Tula

I have taken my list of tomatoes down to only the ones that I find really tasty and the above list is most of them but I'm sure I left off one or two. I used to grow so many more varieties and enjoyed doing it but found myself only eating certain ones and they rest ended up in the sauce pot. So with age and declining health I started reducing my varieties drastically a few years back. I will still try a new one now and then with great recommendations from some of the posters on here but I'm now really picky. But if you know of one that has a great balanced flavor (not mild) and that can flourish in a high heat, high humidity setting with high disease pressure let me know.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #23
cypert2
Tomatovillian™

Right now mine is Wanda's Potato Top, cause it is the only one I've got that's ripe. ��
cypert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #24
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Mine are GJ, CP, Purple Dog Creek, SOTW, Red Branywine, Cowlicks, Eva Purple Ball, Chocolate Stripes....there are just too many good ones!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #25
DrTrish
Tomatovillian™

From a cook and canner's standpoint, I would have to go with San Marzano. The tomatoes are very easy to work with; very little juice or seeds with thick meaty walls. The sauce it made was SO DELICIOUS! They also seemed to be a little more blight resistant than Amish Paste or Roma. I am trying 3 new types of pastes this year: Incas, Sausage, and Viva Italia. If they survive the monsoon rains we've had here in northcentral Indiana I will report back with their outcome!
DrTrish is offline   Reply With Quote