Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 23, 2014   #16
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4230 View Post
Just looking at the pepper, i think the name is a foreign language acronym for "Death on a Stem".
Even the picture looks dangerous, just handling it would probably set me on fire.

My daughter and her husband are going to try some of your recipes this year.
I'm out of the sour pickles. We went through 3 gallon since you posted the recipe. They were awesome

Ken
I figured you could wear it around your neck like garlic to ward off EVERYTHING!!!
Old March 23, 2014   #17
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4230 View Post
Just looking at the pepper, i think the name is a foreign language acronym for "Death on a Stem".
Even the picture looks dangerous, just handling it would probably set me on fire.

My daughter and her husband are going to try some of your recipes this year.
I'm out of the sour pickles. We went through 3 gallon since you posted the recipe. They were awesome

Ken

Ken: I have searched for the sour pickle recipe you wrote about and haven't found it. Can you post a link? Thanks!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #18
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Ken: I have searched for the sour pickle recipe you wrote about and haven't found it. Can you post a link? Thanks!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62922401,d.cGU
Old March 23, 2014   #19
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Farmette, it is actually fermented pickles. Mary
Old March 23, 2014   #20
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar, thanks for the recipe. Do you can yours after fermenting or just keep them in the refrigerator?
Old March 23, 2014   #21
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I make a brine that contains no water, put them in jars and store in my pantry. You just cannot leave garlic in the jars if not refrigerated. I have kept them this way for years.
They are crisp and sour like the "Old Fashioned" pickles we used to buy as kids.
Old March 23, 2014   #22
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Yes, but both the brine and dill pickle recipe on the website you referenced use water. What other kind of brine is there, but vinegar and water?
Old March 24, 2014   #23
aconite
Tomatovillian™

i'd just like to add, i buy most of my pepper seeds from semillas, because they are cheap, ship fast in europe (and abroad from what i've read), but there have been some problems of varieties not being true. last year i had just one (jalapeno craig's grande), but my friends here had a lot more not turn out as advertised, to the point many have abandoned semillas and now buy from other shops. i think there were some complaints on thehotpepper.com too.
i have ordered plenty of varieties from them this year too, because i don't actually mind if a 1.5 euro variety turns out a cross, it can only get interesting and it's not like they're selling cayenne seeds for scorpions, i am interested if any will turn out wrong.
aconite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #24
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I know that I have been on the semillas site before but have never actually ordered.

Well, after this thread, I DID order - about 65 packs. I figured, go big. A gift to Debbie, from Debbie :-). Can't wait to try them next year!!

We don't appreciate the super hots, so I think most of the 65 packs are medium-hot. But, my plants are forced to thrive under neglect (or fail), so they tend to end up on the hotter side.

I realized last year that very few peppers are full sun, in Colorado. There's full sun and then there's the sun here. So, I shall find filtered shade or afternoon shade for my peppers this year.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #25
aconite
Tomatovillian™

oh one other thing. semillas sometimes forgets to traslate all their varieties to english, so if you're looking for something specific take a look at the german version of the site too. a friend of mine was looking for wild chilli varieties, and in the english version there were only a couple, while the german version of the site had about 15.
austinnhanasmom, good luck with your seeds! for the medium hots and anuums you may still have time this year!
aconite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #26
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Yes, but both the brine and dill pickle recipe on the website you referenced use water. What other kind of brine is there, but vinegar and water?
Farmette, I apologize, I was thinking of something else. Just make a regular brine. I have had no problems. I do vacuum seal the canning lids on with my food saver canning lid gadget which takes out much of the air in the jars. I prefer fresh brine as the one that they were fermented in gets awfully cloudy.
Old March 24, 2014   #27
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Mary, thanks for the clarification.
Chris
Old March 24, 2014   #28
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
A gift to Debbie, from Debbie
I like your thinkin'!!!
They really did have a great inventory of seeds. I will be tip toeing through their site next year myself. Buying seeds is like buying crack...just get your fix and then chasing the next one! There is always some new variety calling my name..."Pssstttt...hey lady...got what you're looking for right here..."
Old March 24, 2014   #29
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I have bought more seeds this year than last and the year before. wow need to start saving for next year I may match the national debt
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #30
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

So, since OCPD is already taken, what are we going to call this pepper obsession disorder?

Maybe OCCD -- obsessive compulsive capsaicin disorder????
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote