Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 2, 2017   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

I guess the stores are selling what people are buying. I bake all the bread for my household and have done so for many years. I usually had a variety of flours and grains on hand including rye, whole wheat, cracked wheat, etc to change it up a bit. I used to get unbleached flour in the big sack but now all they carry is all purpose ie bleached in the large size. Can't stand the taste of it. At least I can still buy unbleached in 2 kilo bags. There is some whole wheat in the general baking aisle, but it's not worth buying - it's actually just the bleached white flour with bran added back in.
The natural foods section will have stone ground whole wheat for a crazy high price, and small bags of a few offbeat flours - spelt they seem to be carrying now, and they still have buckwheat which I always buy because so tasty in muffins. I put a little in bread too sometimes but the buckwheat really has no gluten at all so a very little for flavor is all it will take.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I guess the stores are selling what people are buying. I bake all the bread for my household and have done so for many years. I usually had a variety of flours and grains on hand including rye, whole wheat, cracked wheat, etc to change it up a bit. I used to get unbleached flour in the big sack but now all they carry is all purpose ie bleached in the large size. Can't stand the taste of it. At least I can still buy unbleached in 2 kilo bags. There is some whole wheat in the general baking aisle, but it's not worth buying - it's actually just the bleached white flour with bran added back in.
The natural foods section will have stone ground whole wheat for a crazy high price, and small bags of a few offbeat flours - spelt they seem to be carrying now, and they still have buckwheat which I always buy because so tasty in muffins. I put a little in bread too sometimes but the buckwheat really has no gluten at all so a very little for flavor is all it will take.
Soon you will be able to get what you want.
Here is the new proposed US expansion of the north east adding more states.

New border. - Copy.JPG
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

Old July 2, 2017   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I find that odd, we could buy rye flour here in the stores over thirty years ago even in small towns it is nothing new.
I wonder why that is?
Worth

I'm sure you could find it in the health food stores around here back then, but you had to be able to afford to shop there.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I try to bake a lot of bread. More in winter than summer. I am going to try sourdough just for the heck of it. When I bake my own I actually add gluten because it tastes better and the texture is much better. I really don't understand the rise of the gluten free fad. From what I have been able to read, testing for gluten intolerance is fairly difficult and can be expensive.

The number of gluten free products have exploded to take advantage of those who equate gluten free with healthy. Just a decade ago, gluten-intolerance levels were at 1 in 2500 worldwide. Today, it’s at 1 in 133. Is our food system and all the preservatives causing a problem we didn't use to have? Or are too many folks just jumping on a bandwagon.

A few years back there were no peanut allergies to speak of, no milk allergies and not many wheat allergies. Now its seems like everyone either has or wants to have an allergy. Still less than 1% are gluten intolerant. Hopefully I will be able to continue to eat the bread I bake and not become one of the 1%.
Sometimes I feel left out, I dont have anything.

Worth.
Old July 2, 2017   #21
bower
Tomatovillian™

I recently read some medical advisory, the officials are cautioning the public that "gluten free" diet is not a health benefit to anyone who is not gluten intolerant. I don't know if you've tried any gluten free baked goods, I have tasted them and no way I would choose this in place of regular wheat baking. Worst kind of fad (ie not even tasty, nor good for you either!!).
Old July 2, 2017   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Sometimes I feel left out, I dont have anything.

Worth.
poor baby.

I really do fret a bit when making food for a dinner for anyone. there are so many allergies anymore... I have a friends who is allergic to pepper plants and blue...only blue petunias(so far) all fruits except apples and pears maybe a few others but she isn't willing to try them as they are anaphylactic allergies... sunflowers and sunflower oil... look at any label on a bag... "sunflower and or canola" is a normal label.
Old July 2, 2017   #23
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I recently read some medical advisory, the officials are cautioning the public that "gluten free" diet is not a health benefit to anyone who is not gluten intolerant. I don't know if you've tried any gluten free baked goods, I have tasted them and no way I would choose this in place of regular wheat baking. Worst kind of fad (ie not even tasty, nor good for you either!!).

I have a friend who is severely gluten intolerant and even after many years still struggles with the restrictions to her diet. She says it's something she wouldn't wish upon anyone.

Then I know others who voluntarily went gluten free for the "health benefits."

My husband and I tried the Virgin diet once. It's the one where you eliminate all "common" allergens for two weeks (soy, dairy, gluten, lactose, peanuts), as well as sugar and corn (because of GMOs) for good. After two weeks you start swapping in the allergens one at a time to try and pin down which is causing you health issues. I didn't feel anything except deprived for the entire time.
Old July 2, 2017   #24
ricman
Tomatovillian™

This is one of my favorite kitchen tools a flour mill. I use it to produce almost all of the flour in my bread recipes. Cinnamon raisin pecan sourdogh

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photonnn.JPG (116.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg photo raisin.JPG (170.6 KB, 41 views)
ricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I know people that have everything or at least say they do.
One guy we had at work I would tell him in the morning he looked sick and it wouldn't be 2 hours he would take off from work sick.
I know good and well he had Munchausen syndrome.
The quagmire of illnesses and allergies he could come up with was astounding.
Let me see if I can remember all of them.
Carpal tunnel syndrome.
Bad back.
Allergies of all kinds.
Tennis elbow.
Scared of heights.
Sunlight.
Bread.
Spastic colon.
OCD and what ever other condition on the news.
Constant fever and colds.
The list could go on for ever.
The guy was in his twenties and the perfect weight for his size.
Always had an appointment with a doctor.
If someone had it he got it.
If it was on the news he had it or was going to get it soon.
There wasn't one thing wrong with him but he had a desk full of pills.
He had a little girl and I asked him if he thought it was right he pass on his genes.
Cruel yes.
He was the most sickly non sick person I have ever met in my life.
Every time he would come up with something his wife would just roll her eyes.
One time they pulled him out of the office to help me and I found him shivering in the middle of a flat roof, I had to talk him off of it.
But yet I still considered him and his wife friends.
Worth
Old July 2, 2017   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricman View Post
This is one of my favorite kitchen tools a flour mill. I use it to produce almost all of the flour in my bread recipes. Cinnamon raisin pecan sourdogh

Rick
I have a friend up north that got into bread making and got all of the fixings including the mill.
He could never get past heavy bread bricks.
Worth
Old July 2, 2017   #27
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Rick

Very nice--both the mill and the bread!
Old July 2, 2017   #28
ricman
Tomatovillian™

Worth....I know that feeling. I made many a door stops when I first started using freshly milled flour. There is certainly a learning curve and bread making is as much art as it is science IMO.
ricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth....I know that feeling. I made many a door stops when I first started using freshly milled flour. There is certainly a learning curve and bread making is as much art as it is science IMO.
I love baking bread and in my opinion and others I make good bread.
I dont nor have I ever used a recipe to the exact amounts.
To many peoples dismay I dont use scales.
I cant stand any kind of bread unless it is fresh out of the oven.
Your bread looks great.
I have a question.
Have you braided bread, that is what I like to do?
Worth
Old July 2, 2017   #30
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Very nice--both the mill and the bread!

I second that.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote