Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2013   #46
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

strange weather. Our crocuses are just peaking. In the past they peaked in early March
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #47
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I agree. My neighbors snowbird to Florida for winter and said they were coming home soon. I told them to stay another month ha, Spring is taking her sweet time coming in. It's pretty darn cold these days for first week of April, it's usually warmer. Even the forsythia are not in bloom! They have bloomed in snow in the past. weird weird weather.

Camo , I also want to say thanks for all the posts you've shared as I have read them and take your suggestions to heart given your experience, and close proximity to NJ!
Old April 3, 2013   #48
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I agree. My neighbors snowbird to Florida for winter and said they were coming home soon. I told them to stay another month ha, Spring is taking her sweet time coming in. It's pretty darn cold these days for first week of April, it's usually warmer. Even the forsythia are not in bloom! They have bloomed in snow in the past. weird weird weather.

Camo , I also want to say thanks for all the posts you've shared as I have read them and take your suggestions to heart given your experience, and close proximity to NJ!
Antoniette,
Your more than welcome, glad to see some are benefiting from my scattered postings, which aren't near as frequent as they used to be.
My first 30 years were spent in northern New Jersey. Grew up in Bergen County, back when it was actually farm country. back then the only tomato to grow was the old Jersey Beefsteak. And they certainly were worth growing. Most went 2-3 lbs.
Nowadays Beefsteaks just aren't the same anymore. There are so many to choose from...super beefsteaks, supersonic beefsteaks, etc., and none of them compare to those beefsteaks from the 50's and 60's. I have fond memories of my teen years, riding around in a 63 SS Impala convertible with a bushel of beefsteaks and a saltshaker. A bushel was only $3.00 but we got them from our friend Kathy for only $1.00/bushel. (probably to cover the cost of the bushel basket). Yes, back in those days you actually got the basket too!
I also miss that great Jersey soil. We had rich dark soil where garden crops flourished. Here, just south of Gettysburg, the soil is red shale for the most part and after years of destructive farming practices, it takes years to return it to a productive state.

Like you, our Forsythia hasn't bloomed yet, either. Usually occurs the beginning of March. The crocuses just opened this week, most years that occurs in Feb/Mar. Still no flowers on the daffodils, although the leaves have developed a bright green color. Things will probably heat up soon, and we'll be complaining about the heat before you know it.

Hoping you have a successful gardening season and that you get to enjoy every minute of it!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote