Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 29, 2016   #1816
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Looks good Marsha - Are they your Enjoya plants? they really look good.
Do you leave your seedlings out now in all weather even tons/ huge rain?

---
Ginny - Drive safe and report back when you are home.

Larry - any more tomatoes fruiting? Kay - any fruiting other than the micros?
Thanks Barb,
The large ones are Enjoyas, and a few of the younger ones are too, there's a mix of peppers sweet and hot. Yes, all the plants are out full time regardless of the weather.I have been spraying them early almost every day with weak copper and BT spray, because I really don't want them to get fungus and worms for the swap.
I feel I have a responsibility to people to give them healthy strong plants. It's a pride thing.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1817
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Your right Larry - Marsha is the queen of EB. I think the info provided by EB must be for determinate tomatoes. I've been following it for seasons now for tomatoes, even buying many packs of their refill kits. I even bought 2 EB worth of their potting soil (very light on perlite).

Marsha - Thanks for the response. The only part of mine that looks yucky is < a thin frosting on a cake. Too late for this season, but I will keep more of the mix going forward.

Marsha - Are your babies in full sun yet? Since mine are still on the pool deck with all that radiant heat, I'm still throwing the shade cloth over around 11 AM unless there is a mixture of sun/clouds.

I also removed a lot of my pepper plants. I don't want to deal with white flies this year. A few weeks ago when I posted about some of mine with ratty looking leaves and Kay said to get bone meal (I did). I removed all the leaves from 2 of them and they are coming in so nice now.

Kay - That Buena Mulata plant has to be the most productive pepper plant in the world. I like it better when the peppers are bright purple; but they are too hot for me.
Barb,
I agree Marsha is a trove of information but you add quite a bit to the conversation yourself,
Thanks,
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1818
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Larry you do too! Marsha, Barb, Kay, Ella, Kurt, Gardenboy.... i have used advice from every single person I mentioned from this thread and more. I knew absolutely nothing about gardening in late 2013 and mostly from advice on this forum (well and Laura in Fl that i first met on the earthbox forum) I have had a wonderful time growing tasty beauitiful tomatoes in an entirely tomato hostile environment.... :-)

I love this forum and the people on it, mostly you Floridians... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1819
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Larry you do too! Marsha, Barb, Kay, Ella, Kurt, Gardenboy.... i have used advice from every single person I mentioned from this thread and more......

had a wonderful time growing tasty beauitiful tomatoes in an entirely tomato hostile environment.... :-)

Ginny

+1

Ginny - Are you driving alone? Where are you?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1820
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I'm home! I left at 4am yesterday morning and got home around 10pm. I had planned to drive over 2 days but wasnt tired so made it all the way home.

Plants made it... :-)

Thank goodness we didnt fill up the car and truck to go up there. We usually drive together in the truck and tow the car but this time i drove home alone so i could get home sooner. My husband somehow fit 16 tomato cages (he bent the legs back), 5 cases of sauce/salsa, a 7 gallon swc with my 4 full sized shishi-to pepper plants in it, 26 teenagers on the floor boards of the back seats, my suitcase, a storage tub with misc stuff, my pillow, my dog and dog bed, my three laptops, TTF fert, mykos, watering can, 5 1/2 gallon stainless steel cooking pot, 20 to 30 bamboo stakes, my new food mill (it fit in the stainless steel pot), 6 pairs of shoes (hardly any!), two large pans, a brand new really nice butcher block knife set (present from my in laws and the first time I have ever owned really sharp nice knives... I didnt even know what I was missing), and various and sundry other items in my little corolla.

He loves growing tomatoes too. I even felt silly having so much tomato gear but hey, priorities. He is bringing home the other stuff.

Ginny
Old September 30, 2016   #1821
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Looks good Marsha - Are they your Enjoya plants? they really look good.
Do you leave your seedlings out now in all weather even tons/ huge rain?
---
Ginny - Drive safe and report back when you are home.
Larry - any more tomatoes fruiting? Kay - any fruiting other than the micros?
Barb,
A few tomatoes are being set but so far it’s been pretty slow. Skyway, BCD, Granadero and Esterina Cherry have set a few, but I think it is about to change. Because of somewhat frequent showers our humidity during the evening and early morning has remained fairly high. As a result the night time low temperatures have been slow to come down but looking out at the forecast it appears in one week it looks like the showers will be significantly less and the nighttime lows are finally going to fall into the upper 60s. Hopefully that will be enough to do the trick and result in many more tomatoes setting.
"Hope Springs Eternal in the Human Breast"
Larry
Old September 30, 2016   #1822
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Fiishergurl;594370]Larry you do too! Marsha, Barb, Kay, Ella, Kurt, Gardenboy.... i have used advice from every single person I mentioned from this thread and more. I knew absolutely nothing about gardening in late 2013 and mostly from advice on this forum (well and Laura in Fl that i first met on the earthbox forum) I have had a wonderful time growing tasty beauitiful tomatoes in an entirely tomato hostile environment.... :-)
Ginny
Thank You, We'll be happy to have you back gardening in Florida.
Larry
Old September 30, 2016   #1823
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Of the past 5 nights, the lows have been 3 @ 69 and 2 @ 70. I've buzzed the flowers I have but never see any pollen sprayed.

The days are still so hot, but the mornings feel decent until 9ish without cloud cover.

---
Ginny - Glad you back home safely. That is quite a car full.

---
I have 12 plants in their final homes now. Need to get working on the back yard.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1824
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, my outside tomatoes have been slow to set fruit because of the heat here. I do have lots of blooms so I am hoping fruit set will be picking up. The ones that do have fruit are Russian Swirl, Indigo Rose, Sweetie and Peacevine.

I am growing what Ellie calls a basket tomato outside. It is not a micro and the plants are about 2 feet tall. I planted two of them in 3 gallon pot and there are a couple of tiny tomatoes on them but many blooms.

I am getting ripe tomatoes on 2 of my micro varieties. I really want to see how they taste but I also want to save seeds.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1825
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Everyone seems to be super busy, in a good way. I am realizing now that Florida gardening has multiple challenges. And it is not just a common once like temperature, rain/humidity, and pests. There is a short-day problem as well, and each day plants get less sun. How do you manage to have them setting fruits? It is now about 12 hours between sunrise and sunset. I know tomatoes need about 8 (of direct sunlight). Still.

Ginny, glad you arrived safely.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1826
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Everyone seems to be super busy, in a good way. I am realizing now that Florida gardening has multiple challenges. And it is not just a common once like temperature, rain/humidity, and pests. There is a short-day problem as well, and each day plants get less sun. How do you manage to have them setting fruits? It is now about 12 hours between sunrise and sunset. I know tomatoes need about 8 (of direct sunlight). Still.

Ginny, glad you arrived safely.
They set fruit just fine once it cools down. They say they really need only 6 hours of direct sun. The winters here mostly have dry weather, cooler, clear sunny skies prevail. Then, since our season is so long, after Dec. 21 the days get longer and longer.

When you move down you will see....
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1827
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
They set fruit just fine once it cools down. They say they really need only 6 hours of direct sun. The winters here mostly have dry weather, cooler, clear sunny skies prevail. Then, since our season is so long, after Dec. 21 the days get longer and longer.

When you move down you will see....
I am mentally there already.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #1828
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Its raining buckets here right now. Wished i had looked at the radar and protected the plants. Dang. Orange/Red coming across right now.

Ella you are a Floridian in my book... :-)

Ginny
Old September 30, 2016   #1829
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Its raining buckets here right now. Wished i had looked at the radar and protected the plants. Dang. Orange/Red coming across right now.
Ella you are a Floridian in my book... :-)
Ginny
We got a shower about 5 pm, but had to go ahead and water plants anyway.
Old September 30, 2016   #1830
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb did you grow Jimmy Nardello and if so did you like it or not so much?

What did you like about the advarski (spelling? )

Ginny