Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 4, 2011   #61
owiebrain
Tomatovillian™

I, too, am very impressed with my pulled sprouts. I planted tubers, pulls, and TPS this year. The tubers and pulls are difficult to tell apart since the pulls are so incredibly vigorous. I'm sold and, assuming I get a somewhat comparable harvest, I'll concentrate on pulls from here on out and not worry about the expense of loads of seed tubers. (Of course, I'll still play with TPS because it's fun!)

CrackpotHippie.com
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011   #62
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

My pulls and TPS seedlings are the same size, the tuber plants are way ahead. The main reason is that I planted tubers in early may and the tps seedlings and pulls at the end of may. Next year for sure at least one tuber is my favorite(s) potato are going for pulling sprouts. I am not fussing with tip cuttings since mine were weaker. I wonder how David Marek did with them....
Old July 4, 2011   #63
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

My pulls of adirondack blue are far bigger than most of my other plants.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2011   #64
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

My lone SVG pull plant is still alive. I am waiting until completely dies down or frost kills it to harvest my seeds for next year.
Old October 30, 2011   #65
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I finally finish the potato harvest and the I am saving the potatoes from one pull plant as seeds for next year.
Old April 24, 2012   #66
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

This is a great thread. I had no idea sprouts could be pulled from potatoes. I am experimenting with two of the Kennebec seed tubers I bought. When planting pulled potato plants from sprouts, how many do you plant per hole (ie., when planting a seed tuber, it usually has multiple sprouts; therefore do you plant multiple pulled potato plants from sprouts per hole or just one pulled plant per hole)?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #67
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I am no expert ...only one per hole and bury the stem deep. I got a decent amount of potatoes like that more than once... the Moie-Moie thread was the same way
Old April 24, 2012   #68
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

One per Hole, yes yes.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #69
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyartist View Post
In this article it says that yield from growing from seeds (TPS) is lower, "Yield is typically low compared to cultivars started from
tuber seed pieces, making true seed cultivator mainly of
interest for container culture rather than high production."
As has already been pointed out in another thread regarding yields of TPS versus tuber sown,yes the yields from TPS do seem to be lower but only in that first year grown from seedlings.Ive got three different varieties started from TPS, that are into there third growing season,there yields are now as high as any other cultivator

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012   #70
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I have planted out a hundred or so plants from 'sprout jacks', and have several hundred 'pullstarts' in 4" which will go into the ground next week, and will be makeing a thousand or so more this week as well. All my tubers will be planted May 15th. I am hopeing for a BUMPER CROP!
Old May 2, 2012   #71
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Pulling potato plants from sprouts is pretty amazing. I just pulled 14 potato plants from sprouts from one very large seed potato. It was one big root mass so it was difficult to separate the 14 potato plants. I will see how they look in the morning.

I still have two more seed potatoes that are filled with sprouts (potato plants).
Old May 2, 2012   #72
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I find the "pull sprouts" are ready to pot into 4" about 4 days after putting under lights.And ready to go into the ground after a maximum of two weeks. Many of the more vigorous varieties are ready for planting out within days of potting up. I plan on putting some direct to the garden.
Old May 3, 2012   #73
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

As I was experimenting with pulling potato plants from sprouts, I did have a question. What is considered a potato plant? Is a potato plant from sprouts equal to one sprout (1 sprout per eye) on the potato that may have multiple leaves, or is a potato plant from sprouts equal to each set of leaves that have roots?

I considered each set of leaves as a potential plant, but don't know if this is correct. For example, if one sprout (per eye) had five sets of leaves, I split the sprout into five different potato plants as opposed to counting it as one plant.
Old May 3, 2012   #74
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

That is a way to propagate for sure. I just keep the "pull start" whole. I would call it "takeing cuttings" if I went further with it.
Old May 4, 2012   #75
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
That is a way to propagate for sure. I just keep the "pull start" whole. I would call it "takeing cuttings" if I went further with it.
Interesting. Will a "cutting" produce as many potatoes per plant as if I left the "pull start" whole?