Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 2, 2015   #76
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I got a real scare this morning when I was spraying with the bleach solution. Despite rain again the day before yesterday the continuous spraying has most of my disease issues under control for now. Of course it rained cats and dogs no more than two hours after I came inside to shower the DEET off.

What scared me is the top of one of my Indian Stripe PL plants which looked terrific just the day before yesterday prior to the rain. I was spraying slowly to avoid the drift caused by a slight breeze this morning and was taking the time to inspect every plant before spraying with the bleach solution and I saw this at the top of the plant. It was still very early in the morning so the light wasn't the best for a photo and it was 7 feet off the ground so I had some difficulty focusing good when I took the pictures but what I saw looked like the beginnings of Late Blight. I went back and rechecked every other plant in the garden and will do so again tomorrow to be sure it doesn't appear again. My hope is that this is some form of TSWV that I haven't seen before causing this but the similarity to Gray Mold in the way the leaves have just started to blacken and kinda melt makes me think Late Blight. I have seen it before but never on just one plant but then again I may have caught it really early. I am pretty sure it isn't Gray Mold or TSWV. I have never seen GM start in the very top of a plant nor have I ever seen it wilt the leaves this quickly. 24 hours before the plant looked perfect because I had just lowered it and clipped it so I really got a good look at it. There was also the beginnings of lesions in the stems which usually takes a lot of time with either GM or TSWV.

I immediately sprayed it down really well then cut off the top half of the plant. With the rain coming again soon after I went in I'm hoping against hope that it isn't LB coming in on these rains. I have seen it once before in mid summer and it destroyed my whole patch within two weeks. This had only affected the top third of the plant and it has only been there for a matter of hours so I'm not so sure the picture shows how bad this looked. Some of you who experience LB more frequently than I might have some insight.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISPL possible LB 7-2-15.jpg (452.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg LB or not 7-2-15.jpg (405.2 KB, 265 views)
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #77
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post

....part of the "ART"
BB,

Bill's recommendations don't seem like `ART.' Midpoints in both his dilution recommendations deliver a .31% solution.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #78
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
BB,

Bill's recommendations don't seem like `ART.' Midpoints in both his dilution recommendations deliver a .31% solution.
Ah ha !

I was referring to My Initial application practise/test as "art " in that it was a best guess

of applying the concentration from my interpretation of the thread.

I was most reluctant to try and see what happens ......

and was prepared to adjust to stronger solution if "Sub therapeutic" outcomes ha ha ha

and was prepared to backing off or diluting if chemical burn was showing .

Fortunately it is working real well for me as my best guess and concentration adjustment

Interpretation was a good guess !

I have my Pre-measure cups and mixing jug all set aside for this treatment ...once you have

your own system based on the Concentration info. trialed and developed ........It is not ART ..it is Application .
Old July 5, 2015   #79
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I used the 5% solution of bleach on about 10 plants as an experiment. I only went up halfway, about two feet. All the sprayed leaves turner a horrid shade of orangy yellow, but it has slowed the progression, for now at least. The septoria is still creeping upwards but the plants are still going strong.

This year is very different time wise (early) for disease. None of the fruit is showing spots or deformities.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #80
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I used the 5% solution of bleach on about 10 plants as an experiment...
Hi Lisa - what was the dilution factor you settled on?
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #81
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I used the 5% solution of bleach on about 10 plants as an experiment. I only went up halfway, about two feet. All the sprayed leaves turner a horrid shade of orangy yellow, but it has slowed the progression, for now at least. The septoria is still creeping upwards but the plants are still going strong.

This year is very different time wise (early) for disease. None of the fruit is showing spots or deformities.

- Lisa
I have never seen that reaction to the bleach solution. Did you spray when the sun could hit the wet leaves? I don't know what a 5% solution means because of the differences in the formulations of different brands of bleach. I now use only the Clorox with the 8.25 % sodium hypochlorite and add 5 to 5.5 oz to a full gallon of water along with a few drops of dish washing soap.

You need to follow up the bleach treatment with a copper spray and remove as much of the diseased foliage as possible. Septoria is very hard to control and you may have to treat it multiple times to get it under control. By spraying only the bottom two feet of the plant you have done nothing for any disease above that area so watch out for it spreading.

Bill

Bill
Old July 8, 2015   #82
Slg Garden
Tomatovillian™

I bleach sprayed last night but just realized I did 5 tablespoons/gallon rather than 5 ounces. Will that strength help at all or should I do it at the right concentration again tonight?
Slg Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #83
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

What a coincidence, Slg -- I did a somewhat similar thing this week. I used Bill's spray last year a few times with good results, so I do know better!

I have a clear plastic disposable cup that I measured for 5 ounces and marked the level with a permanent sharpie for future use. I dumped the bleach into my already water filled sprayer and off I went to do my back garden tomatoes which tend to show disease earlier. I ran out of bleach mix, so went back to make another batch for the sprayer ... as I was putting the bleach in, it hit me -- I'm using a two gallon sprayer, and only put in one 5 oz measure the first time, being fixated on the bleach proportion, and not the water itself! Went back and resprayed what I did before.

I'll have to go back and mark my measure for 10 oz, because I always use the full 2 gallons when I spray.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #84
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I usually have to use 3 gallons so I just put in 16 oz after I have filled the sprayer up with 3 gallons of water. It is a four gallon backpack sprayer but four gallons is just a bit too much to deal with. I have too many obstacles to step over and around.

Using half strength probably won't do much good. Respray with the correct mix. I learned when I was experimenting with it years ago that I would lose a plant faster where I was using a solution that was too weak much faster than one where the solution was a bit too strong. The plants usually recovered from some leaf burn but once a disease got all over it there was no hope.

Bill
Old July 10, 2015   #85
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

ooh, please let me know what am I suppose to see next day. I have applied 1 fluid oz of Clorox 8.25% to 700 ml spraying bottle which I calculated should be close enough.
I have several pots which have septoria and would like to experiment. So far I have not seen any difference on the leaves. It has been 24 hrs. Am I suppose to see some burned leaves? Darkening?
How much to increase for second application then?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #86
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
I have several pots which have septoria and would like to experiment.
I'm also quite interested in knowing if others have used this method specifically for Septoria and the results?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #87
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if that mix was strong enough or not. I'll let you figure that out. I always mix gallons.

Septoria does not react like Gray Mold or mildew to the bleach solution. The whole leaves will not shrivel up and die unless they are totally riddled with Septoria and then it might take several treatments. With Septoria I usually treat it two days in a row with the bleach and then follow up with a copper spray at the recommended dose. Septoria is one of the hardest diseases to get a handle on once it gets started especially if you are getting frequent rains.

When you spray with the bleach solution with Septoria you must spray the whole plant including tops and bottoms of leaves and the stems not just where you see the Septoria as it is already spreading where you don't see it. Then the next morning remove as many of the infected leaves and stems as possible. Then spray again that evening and the next morning or afternoon spray with the copper. If it is still spreading a few days later increase the strength of the bleach spray and repeat the process checking to make sure you aren't getting too much leaf burn.

Before I started using the bleach spray every few days during rainy weather I used to get Septoria much more often and much worse because there was just no fungicide that would stay on in heavy rains so the plants were more susceptible to all the foliage diseases. Another thing that helps is having the plants a little more open so they get better air flow and are easier to spray efficiently.

Bill
Old July 10, 2015   #88
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill. I think I'm going to give the bleach solution a try, especially in rainy periods, when I don't want to be spraying other things that will just wash away. My plants have exceptionally good airflow this year because I've been pruning like a madman anytime a see a couple spots on leaves.

Does anyone know at what point does Septoria send out spores? This might be a naive question because I don't know much about fungal life cycles. Is only after the spots look like this or that? Or is once you can see spots they are pouring out more spores? etc.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #89
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Bill, thanks for taking the time to post this info, the best info comes from those who do the work.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #90
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I will report my findings.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote