Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 21, 2018   #16
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I think that procedure on how to drain a blister was from a thesis I did for the NCO Academy there at Bergstrom AFB. It was well received by Commandant and Instructors, and almost won for me the Commandant's Trophy. NOT !!!!

Actually, my dad taught me how to do that with a needle. Man, I gotta run down to the CVS and get some fresh sterile gauze to cover the wound. If it was back in my early years, I would use a product we knew at "Methiolate". Danged stuff could turn a simple cut into liquid fire nightmares. But we never had any infections when we used it.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Worth, I think that procedure on how to drain a blister was from a thesis I did for the NCO Academy there at Bergstrom AFB. It was well received by Commandant and Instructors, and almost won for me the Commandant's Trophy. NOT !!!!

Actually, my dad taught me how to do that with a needle. Man, I gotta run down to the CVS and get some fresh sterile gauze to cover the wound. If it was back in my early years, I would use a product we knew at "Methiolate". Danged stuff could turn a simple cut into liquid fire nightmares. But we never had any infections when we used it.

I think you can still get it at CVS.
Might not be the same as the old stuff though.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Leave the blisters intact. burns on hands are always significant and I think you should have a check by a doctor and proper dressings Ted.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #19
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all who have offered their condolences and advice. However, I have returned from the pharmacy and have carefully drained the largest blisters. The outer layer of skin went right down to the next layer of the dermis as the fluid left. Then we put a light layer of sterile gauze over the area which was coated generously with Polysporin. I then wrapped an ace bandage around the area and effectively greatly reduced my ability to bend my wrist or thumb to about 10%. I did this to reduce any flexing of the area of the blisters.

So a goodly amount of comfort has been gained. I'll change the dressing at least twice a day until I see the blister areas wanting to shed the upper blister skin layer. I'll keep it moist with Polysporin until it scabs and then begin reducing the moisturizing steps. It's time to let comfort lead the efforts.

I might be back to normal in about a week or ten days, hopefully. As I've gotten older, I've noticed that healing slows down dramatically. Now, I must be patience for a while.

I was fortunate to run into my Primary Physician in Walmart today. After looking at my hand, she said that I should do the draining procedure. So, after about $38 in supplies, we're back home and all bandaged up as she recommended. BTW, I always take her and her husband tomatoes each year. I like having personal relationships with the experts I hire. Yes, I always feel like we hire our doctors, etc. But, fortunately, this time it's more like a friend whose advice I trust implicitly.

I'm kinda like an old dinosaur who knows that it's 2018. I think I'm a reincarnated Pterodactyl. I have dreams of flying freely thru the skies.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 22, 2018   #20
clara
Tomatovillian™

I've just read this thread - poor Ted! But good to read that you are feeling a bit better now and hopefully it continues that way!

When I was a kid and burnt somehow and somewhere, my mother used to put butter and then flour on the burn - I NEVER wanted to get that, but only cold water, instinctively. When I was a bit older, I never told her about a burn, but treated myself.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2018   #21
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Miss Clara. I've been draining the blisters for what is today, the third day. The skin has laid down and looking at it makes me think I may not lose all that skin. I may lose some, but it is now quite comfortable even though it is still painful. I have one more positive with this thing. At least the tomato juice I salvaged meets my standards and is utterly delicious.

I'm letting it breathe today and I devised a way of using an old sock cut in half to allow more mobility of the digits. I keep Polysporin and sterile gauze on it and use the sock instead of an Ace Bandage wrap. That gives more use of the hand while keeping the germs away. The "actually new" sock keeps all the gauze in place while allowing better usage of the hand.

Check out HeritageSeedMarket and you'll find I have listed 67-Jahrige Tomate aus Babelsberg. Now it can survive and be available to everyone. It's such a great tomato. I hope many people try it.

Next year may be the year for Pulheim Red Heart. The only issue I have with it is verifying its stability. The reason is that I haven't seen the Pulhem Red Round. The seed I planted for that also came up hearts as well.

Anyhow, I may be hurt, but I'm not down.

Take care

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; October 22, 2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old October 22, 2018   #22
clara
Tomatovillian™

These are very good news! I like the idea of using old socks - I've once used an old glove (made of cotton) where I cut all the digits to keep the gauze where it should be instead of a bandage. To be exact, I had several gloves because it took more than two months till my hand had healed (first a tumor inside the hand which had healed quite well, but the treatment with leeches some time later to regain mobility of the digits had caused a serious infection. Allergy said the doc - I supposed one of the leeches was ill, but who knows? Anyway, the black skin inside the hand was cut every 2 days and when I hoped it would be the last time, another cut. Finally the new skin was so thin that I was afraid it might be torn open when I used my hand, so more gauze under a glove just to protect the hand. It was the time when I had a lot to do in the garden...)

But now to the tomatoes: Thank you so much for taking care of the "67-Jaehrige Tomate aus Babelsberg"! I've already seen it on Steve's site. Did I tell you that once we made a thick yellow tomato soup out of it? The two small plants were so much loaded that my son had this idea. A tomato soup has not always to be red.

And Pulheim Red Heart: When you only get hearts, this variety already seems to be stable. When I re-grew it the first time, I mostly had hearts also, but for a few tomatoes, I was unsure if I could call them a heart. I hope yours are as cute as mine were!

Thank you once again for all your hard work - and get well soon!
Old October 22, 2018   #23
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Miss Clara for your well wishing on my burns. And thank you for allowing me to show the rest of the world how great the tomatoes are that you have found. I'm am eternally in your debt for that privilege. If I get one more season with stability of the heart shape, I'll offer it out with a mild caution about the possibility of getting a couple of fruits that may not exactly be overtly heart shaped. I personally could not believe how good it tastes. Dr. Male (Carolyn) knows how much the hearts taste consistently better than all the other shapes.

Take care, Lady Friend. I'll be interested in how that grandson likes his namesake.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 22, 2018   #24
clara
Tomatovillian™

Dear Ted, it's not you that have a privilege, it's me for having YOU as a good friend! I could not have done all the work you do nor do I have the possibility to make these tomatoes widely known in the US. So I'm in your debt!

My grandson is already excited about "his" tomato! I've promised him that we'll drop the seeds together and as he is a very careful little boy, he'll do it with great diligence - under my eyes, lol!
Old October 23, 2018   #25
bower
Tomatovillian™

I had a nasty burn in the same place Ted, many years ago. I was moving a pot of hot oil when a tiny drop of spatter flew off and landed on my arm... the reflex recoil in response to that tiny burn caused me to slosh the whole pot of oil over my hand. It's one of the few times I actually had to go to emergency. Ever since then I have resisted the temptation to juggle hot items or pour into anything hand held. I suppose I was not dubbed "Butterfingers" as a child for nothing.

I agree that aloe is invaluable for immediate treatment of burns, every home should have the plant. But big burns like that are best to get medical advice as well, and I'm glad you did (even if it was out of office!).
Glad to hear you're on the mend!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2018   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is the best advice ever.
If you are working in the kitchen and there is any chance of getting burned like this..............

Keep a big bowl of ice water within easy reach.
If you get burned get that hand or what ever in the ice water as fast as you possibly can.'
It will reduce the severity of the burn big time.
This is a medical fact not some witch doctor thing I came up with.

Rapid cooling of burns reduces injury.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2018   #27
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Hope your burns are getting better each day...Ow they look painful.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2018   #28
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Peebee, thank you and, yes, they are definitely not comfortable. I'm trying to let this wound dry out and begin the scabbing over I hope it will do quickly. Trust me on this one. You don't ever want to do the stupid trick I've done. The only thing that lets me get some sleep is Vodka and Wine.

No, I don't mean together. Vodka takes the edge off the constant tingling and the wine lets me get some uninterrupted sleep like last night. I only can hope and pray that posting my story will cause someone out there to take that extra precaution and not have to go thru what I'm going thru now.

You are all extended family and I'm trying to conduct myself like any family's patriarch and warn you against a danger. Please, for your own good, heed this warning and take actions that will keep you from harm.

I really do love you like family.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch