Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 24, 2006   #1
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default The Queen's Luncheon and The Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit

Katharine and I are invited to The Queen's Luncheon on Thursday noon at the Oldham County History Center. This event is being held in con★★★★★★★★ with the Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit scheduled below. Queen Elizabeth of England visited the Hermitage Farm near by in 1986; she has interest in horses in Kentucky. We will be sharing a duplicate lunch prepared for her at that time. There will be a Panel Discussion: Food Traditions and Culture. Our longtime friend, Steve, is a panel member who will share Influences of Black cooking in Southern Cuisine. For years I have helped him and his catering service and am a volunteer at the History Center.
In addition, the History Center collected and published local and regional recipes for a Cookbook to celebrate this event.
I will let you know what Kentucky prepares for royalty when they visit.
Gary/Louisville

The Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit --Key Ingredients: America by Food--- will be traveling to 150 rural communities across the US through 2008. It is scheduled to be at The Oldham County History Center Sept. 2 through Oct. 14. http://www.keyingredients.org/minor_...05_exhibit.asp

500 years of American food
Explore the rich diversity pf American food culture
Travel through 500 years and from coast to coast as you explore how Americans grow, prepare, and serve foods. Through this activity, you will discover how American cuisine is a product of both our regional uniqueness and international diversity.

The American Cookbook Project
Recipes and stories from across the USA
The American Cookbook Project is a forum for sharing food stories. People from across the country are invited to share their favorite recipes and memories associated with this dish. This is not simply an online cookbook but a collection of memories and recollections of great meals from the past.
http://www.keyingredients.org/002_re...cipes_home.asp
Old August 24, 2006   #2
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Well I guess you are anxious to hear what the menu was for The Queen's Luncheon. As I indicated, this was a duplicate lunch served to Queen Elizabeth when she visited The Hermitage Horse Farm near by in 1986.

Cold Curried Eggplant Soup
Chicken Stroganov
Wild Rice
Fresh Asparagas
Bibb Lettuce with Watercress (lightly dressed in Oil and Vinegar)
Home-made Rolls
Cold Lemon Souffle and Fresh Sliced Strawberries

With the help of Google, I am listing recipes which are similar/same as what was served.
We enjoyed the lunch and the program which lasted about two hours and thirty minutes; conversation with the folks at our table was friendly and enlightning.
Gary/Louisville

Cold Curried Eggplant Soup

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/4 pound eggplant, peeled and cubed
1 quart stock
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper, finely ground
2 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish

1.In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add curry powder and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.

2. Add eggplant and stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until eggplant is soft.

3. Transfer mixture to a food processor fitted with the steel blade or to a blender, and puree.

4. Return mixture to saucepan and add half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Taste for seasoning. Let soup cool. Chill for at least 4 hours. Serve garnished with parsley.

Chicken Breast Stroganoff

Ingredients:
6 boneless chicken breast-filet halves
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons dried chives
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
In a large skillet, melt butter and brown breast filets on both sides; remove chicken and reserve. Add mushrooms, parsley, chives, dill, salt and pepper; cook until mushrooms are softened. Stir in chicken broth, return chicken to skillet, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until breast filets are tender. Remove breast filets from skillet and place in a heated serving platter.

In a small bowl, combine flour and sour cream. Stir sour cream mixture into skillet; cook until heated through. DO NOT BOIL. Serve sauce over breast filets.

Creamy Wild Rice prepared with Chicken Broth.
Fresh Blanched Asparagus
Bib Lettuce with Watercress (lightly dressed in Oil and Vinegar)
Homemade Rolls with Floral Butter Pats

Cold Lemon Souffle and Fresh Sliced Strawberries Topped with Sprigs of Mint
Cold Lemon Souffle

Ingredients
5 Egg yolks
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
1 envelope plain gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
5 Egg whites
pinch cream of tartar
pinch salt
1 cup heavy cream

Instructions
Place Egg yolks, 3/4 cup sugar, lemon Juice and zest in heavy Saucepan and cook over low heat, always stirring, until mixture thickens enough to coat a spoon. Remove from heat. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water and allow to soften. Add to yolk mixture and stir until it begins to set. Beat Egg whites with cream of tartar, slowly adding remaining Sugar and beating until stiff. Beat cream to form soft peaks. Stir 1 cup Egg white into yolk mixture. Fold in remaining white rapidly, then fold in cream. Place in 8-cup souffle dish and chill at least 4 hours Fruit such as strawberries and kiwis.

Three Large Spoonsfull of the Souffle were placed on the desert dish and Fresh Strawberries were placed around the the Souffle and garnished with sprigs of Kentucky Mint.
Old August 25, 2006   #3
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: The Queen's Luncheon and The Smithsonian Traveling Exhib

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGary
Our longtime friend, Steve, is a panel member who will share Influences of Black cooking in Southern Cuisine.
Gary,

It this Steve who was at CHOPTAG or the other Steve who developed "Steve's Cross"? (One of the beautiful striped tomatoes.)

Being from Mississippi, I am so interested in the influence of Black cooking. I'm sure my cooking bears the influence. I am one of only a few Hoosiers who grows cowpeas and okra that I know of. As far as I know, cowpeas were fed to cows and slaves in the deep south, but now have become a gourmet item in New Orlean's restaurants. I am certain, though, they are DELICIOUS and everyone should try them!

Sounds like you had a great time!

Lisa
Old August 25, 2006   #4
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Influences of black in Southern Cusine

Lisa, This is a different Steve.
Our friend, Steve, is black and he grew up in TN and settled in Louisville after finishing College. He worked for a national company for a number of years and when they closed the Louisville office he didn't want to move so got involved in the food industry. He has owned and operated his own Pub and Catering service for better than twenty years. I helped him for years planning new items to offer and food presentation for weddings and special dinner.
I grew up in South Carolina and as you know food is part of the culture for folks in the south. Everywhere you go and meet others from the south you have that instant bond because you can talk about food. In the south when there is a death, food comes from everywhere to feed the family and friends and the soul!
I spent a lot of time with him talking about individuals who have been important influences from early times throught the present. Dear Edna Lewis died in February; her parents were freed slaves and they settled in Freetown, Virginia where they farmed with others who came to their community. She has written many books relating her growing up years in Freetown and the simple foods they had. She authored many cookbooks in which she translated simple foods and ingredients to cooking.
There are so many food items we eat daily which have roots with black cooking.
Gary/Louisville
Old August 25, 2006   #5
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Gary,

Where is Steve's Pub? We pass through Louisville a couple times a year when we travel to Mississippi. Perhaps we can stop by for a visit?

Lisa