Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 9, 2015   #1
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Default Electric food strainer?

for those of you that use an electric food processor, and have used the manual model, is it worth it to upgrade to the electric one? Does it do as good a job as the manual one, without the arm pain?
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehelene View Post
for those of you that use an electric food processor, and have used the manual model, is it worth it to upgrade to the electric one? Does it do as good a job as the manual one, without the arm pain?

I dont have nor will I ever buy a tomato processor but I can tell you when I went from an hand crank meat grinder to a powered one I wondered what took me so long.
The processor will do just as good a job as the hand crank in a lot less time.
And a lot less stress on your arm.
The very idea of you having arm pain is a sure sign you need to get a powered one.

It will sit for most of the year but we all have stuff like that in our armaments.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I recently splurged for the electric powered Victorio. It is an improvement over the manual one by a small margin. There are better ones, but it all depends upon the quantity of material you are processing to justify the cost.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...%20clamp/HTML/ 15 July 2015 Victorio Modified Mounting clamp
The mounting clamp on the Victorio Juicer is not adequate for mounting on a modern kitchen rounded counter top. It slips in use, so I decided to modify.
A strong clamp was purchased off the internet http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121136455726 and modified. The original clamp on the juicer was cut off and two 1/4 inch holes drilled for mounting. On the purchased mounting bracket two corresponding holes were tapped for taking 1/4 inch threaded bolt. This can be done with a hand drill, but is decidedly easier if taken to a machine shop. Fortunately I had the necessary bit and a tap.The modified mounting system is rock solid.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%202015/13%20July%202015%20First%20use%20of%20Victorio%20J uicer/HTML/ 13 July 2015 First use of Victorio Juicer
My recently purchased electric motor driven was tested making juice from garden vegetables.The main advantage over a hand turned food mill is the automatic cranking, which marginally reduces some labour. The unit works reasonably well. The device is marginally better than the hand operated food mill.Basically it is a strainer. It could be much improved by making a realistic mounting system, since modern kitchens do not have readily available surfaces for mounting clamp type appliances. The motor should have a screw to mount the motor securely. The shaft seal leaks just enough to be a misery. I always put the residue from such devices through the Champion juicer to extract as many nutrients as possible.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This member just bought this one look on post 26 I think.

It only weighs 20 pounds and will last a lifetime.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37660

Worth
Old August 18, 2015   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I have used the Victorio about five times to process various vegetables into juices. I have modified the base clamp so it is held securely to the counter top. I can now use it without spilling juice all over the place with no effort. http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...%20clamp/HTML/ 15 July 2015 Victorio Modified Mounting clamp

It is definitely a major improvement over the hand food mill strainers. The cost is reasonable. My four or five hundred liters of juice do not justify a more expensive model. I keep it in a five gallon pail ready for use during the season. It is quick to clean after use. Definitely an asset in my case. Very pleased that I purchased it.

The hand strainers accomplish the same end, but turning the crank gets to be a chore.
Old August 18, 2015   #6
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

I ended up buying the one Worth linked. It's awesome, no more arm pain, yay!!! Durgan when I looked on the victorio website, I couldn't find an electric one. Weird.
Old August 18, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I ended up buying the one Worth linked. It's awesome, no more arm pain, yay!!! Durgan when I looked on the victorio website, I couldn't find an electric one. Weird.
You can goggle motor drive for these things and find all sorts of stuff.
Good motors are around $100 some plastic ones are around $50.
Don't worry about it what you have is far better for a little more money
I'm thinking about getting a motor for my MARCATO Pasta maker because you need three hands to run the thing.

Worth
Old August 18, 2015   #8
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Worth, my husband is so impressed with how well-built it is that he's going to get the meat grinding attachment. Since he's, well, let's say picky, that's pretty impressive lol.
Old August 18, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth, my husband is so impressed with how well-built it is that he's going to get the meat grinding attachment. Since he's, well, let's say picky, that's pretty impressive lol.
I was wondering if you could put a meat grinder on it.

It seems to reason I could put a tomato squeezer on my meat grinder but I cant find one for a #22 grinder.

Worth
Old August 18, 2015   #10
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Yup, they have like 7 different attachments for it. Like I said, pretty amazing.
Old September 6, 2015   #11
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
I recently splurged for the electric powered Victorio. It is an improvement over the manual one by a small margin. There are better ones, but it all depends upon the quantity of material you are processing to justify the cost.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...%20clamp/HTML/ 15 July 2015 Victorio Modified Mounting clamp
The mounting clamp on the Victorio Juicer is not adequate for mounting on a modern kitchen rounded counter top. It slips in use, so I decided to modify.
A strong clamp was purchased off the internet http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121136455726 and modified. The original clamp on the juicer was cut off and two 1/4 inch holes drilled for mounting. On the purchased mounting bracket two corresponding holes were tapped for taking 1/4 inch threaded bolt. This can be done with a hand drill, but is decidedly easier if taken to a machine shop. Fortunately I had the necessary bit and a tap.The modified mounting system is rock solid.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%202015/13%20July%202015%20First%20use%20of%20Victorio%20J uicer/HTML/ 13 July 2015 First use of Victorio Juicer
My recently purchased electric motor driven was tested making juice from garden vegetables.The main advantage over a hand turned food mill is the automatic cranking, which marginally reduces some labour. The unit works reasonably well. The device is marginally better than the hand operated food mill.Basically it is a strainer. It could be much improved by making a realistic mounting system, since modern kitchens do not have readily available surfaces for mounting clamp type appliances. The motor should have a screw to mount the motor securely. The shaft seal leaks just enough to be a misery. I always put the residue from such devices through the Champion juicer to extract as many nutrients as possible.
The motor coupling ridges sheared off on the Victorio. I was into the middle of straining a batch of juice and had to go manual. Hand cranking a Victorio is ridiculous. I went back to my old hand food strainer and finished my batch. The Victorio will be going to GOOD WILL. Certainly not worth the expense and small improvement over the hand cranked food mill. Classified as American made junk by me. You have first heard the term. Remember it.
Old September 6, 2015   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There is an old saying you pay for what you get.
Old September 7, 2015   #13
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
There is an old saying you pay for what you get.
Times may have changed slightly. You often pay and don't get what you paid for in this age. Caveat emptor!
Old September 7, 2015   #14
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
The motor coupling ridges sheared off on the Victorio. I was into the middle of straining a batch of juice and had to go manual. Hand cranking a Victorio is ridiculous. I went back to my old hand food strainer and finished my batch. The Victorio will be going to GOOD WILL. Certainly not worth the expense and small improvement over the hand cranked food mill. Classified as American made junk by me. You have first heard the term. Remember it.
Sorry to hear that Durgan. Isn't it under warranty? I'd contact Victorio and let them know what happened.
Old September 7, 2015   #15
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I must say I don’t know the Victorio but I googled it and found it looks like the Italian Reber tomato seed remover which is commonly sold in France, with three electric driven models. I bought a 600W model some years ago and must say I’m quite pleased with it. It works fast, the juice and flesh come out in front, the skins and seeds on the left.
I googled it in The USA, found a description on http://store.samsonjuicers.com/tsm-r...taly-p799.aspx (sold out)
Or in Canada : http://www.amazon.ca/Reber-0-25hp-El.../dp/B00CO0CPIY
On Friday evening I prepared 30 lbs of tomatoes, poured them in a high and narrow transparent big container, let them rest outside a whole night in cool air to avoid fermentation. On Saturday morning I siphoned off 7 liters of transparent juice that stayed at the bottom, threw it away (tasteless), prepared my sauce (plenty of nice recipes on Tville) and sterilized the jars in my 930 All American pressure canner.
I hope you enjoy making sauce as much as I do !
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote