Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 31, 2007   #61
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

What fertilization (including soil amendments) have you used and in what quantity?
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #62
duajones
Tomatovillian™

started off with 6 inches or so of potting mix,peat, cotton burr compost and a handful or so of osmocote, covered with a couple inches of potting mix, moss and a little manure. After they emerged and grew some, I added layers of potting mix, compost, peat with handul or two of worm casings. I havent added any additional fertilizer
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #63
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like good fertilization to me, but this is my first year. I also did some Osmocote and some composted manure. No worm castings though.
Old April 8, 2007   #64
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Nice thread-makes me want to grow potatoes. 8) I am thinking about trying it in containers in the fall here in the desert southwest. What varieties of seedling potatoes are you growing, and where did you get them? Thanks for the info.
Old April 8, 2007   #65
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The local feed store had a yellow type (not sure the name), and a probably the most common red type grown in the South (Kennebec). Then later on, I saw at my local nursery little mesh bags of several different types of seed potatoes.

If there are certain varieties you want, and you are sure they do well in your area, then Ronniger's has a huge variety. They did just change ownership. And unfortunately they do not really cater to fall potato growers. In Houston, we need seed potatoes in February and in October. Few companies have seed potatoes available at either time.
Old April 8, 2007   #66
duajones
Tomatovillian™

i am growing potatoes that a neighor gave me. when he gave them to me he said they were red pontiac but recently he told me they might be red norland, he couldnt remember.So i guess I dont know what I am growing.
Old April 8, 2007   #67
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

I tried seed potatoes for yukon gold last year, just got them in too late. burned up....
and i bought a bag of Austrian Crescent fingerlings from the international grocer and used those as seed- those burned up as well......

I was prepping the garden today, and found a few teeeny tiny baby potatoes (theyre more yukon shaped, but too small to tell) so I put them in a lil pot. Will top them with worm castings and plant out once they sprout.

Ive got bags of partially molded leaves I got in the fall, are they a decent sandwich layer for potatoes in containers?
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2007   #68
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I can recommend Milk Ranch for fall-planted seed potatoes. I bought seed potatoes from them last August. I planted some in ground in September and saved some for Spring planting. The ground was too hot and the potatoes didn't do well but those I planted in February are doing great.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2007   #69
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Some of the leaves have a purplish tint on the tips. I am wondering if it may be a sign of a nutrient deficiency. Any ideas? Plus all of the blossoms dropped without opening.

Old April 10, 2007   #70
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The blossom drop may have been due to the temperature. Not sure about the purple leaves.

I'll add that I am having a major infestation of caterpillars on my potatoes. I am going to go out tomorrow and give them a thorough soaking of BT from concentrate.

Last edited by feldon30; April 10, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old April 10, 2007   #71
tessa
Tomatovillian™

i don't know if this is it, duajones, but i've seen similar purplish/brown edging put down to flouride poisoning. (amazingly, plants don't have teeth )
are you watering with city water?
just something to consider.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2007   #72
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am watering with city water the same as I am with all of my plants. I hadnt even considered the water being a problem but, who knows. Thanks for the suggestion and I hope others chime in
Old April 26, 2007   #73
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Foliage on my plants is starting to look pretty bad. I am wondering how long I should wait to harvest. Wait until plant dies back or cut it back and then give it 7 to ten days as I have seen mentioned
Old April 27, 2007   #74
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

dua...i got no sure idea...but if theres a Way...you can cut away...the container, without disturbin ongoin tuber processes, an then...Pile the Hell...of more good dirt/leaves...around the Plants...an water them like a tadpole loves it.....u Might...can boost...yo Yield. Its a iffy...but its worth tryin...if even jus to get Taught by. Best Wishes...)))
Old April 29, 2007   #75
duajones
Tomatovillian™

It looks so bad now i am really tempted to go ahead and dump it.

Last edited by duajones; April 29, 2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added pic