Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 4, 2007   #16
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I'm working with Sungold x Jaune Flammee for the second year as in F2. Got early golfball-sized yellow/golds already.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2007   #17
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Since I have used Sun Golds, Sun Sugars, and other similar varieties in breeding over the years, I will simply concur that variety development with progress nicely with others doing theses crosses and grow-outs.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2009   #18
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Wow, this is an old thread! Tormato, did any one ever grow any of these out? I'd love to grow out black cherry x sungold if no one ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I received, in trade, a few seeds of...

Black Cherry x Sungold
Black Cherry x (Sungold x Juliet)
Sungold x Mom's
Sungold x Romeo
Sungold x Green Grape
(Sungold x Juliet) x Floche
Sungold x ((Sungold x Juliet) x Floche)
(Sungold x Juliet) x (Sungold x Green Grape)

Would anyone like to grow them?

Gary
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2009   #19
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Check out Tania's site for Sungold x Mom's

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sungold_X_Mom%27s
Old August 20, 2009   #20
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Check out Tania's site for Sungold x Mom's

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sungold_X_Mom%27s
Nice! Thanks for the tip.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2009   #21
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I have so many segregating clones with Sun Gold in the background, that it would take me a while to catalog them. Most of the time when I get some good lines with the gold colors, I still get filial generations of reds showing up. I can have the dominant gold carry on for a few years and Presto! ---1/4 of a progeny turns red.

That is where I was at with the following variety I listed fecently at Tania's site:

Quote:
AGRAFENA
This is the name I am attaching to some F-3 seed of the cross of Grushovka X (Green Zebra x F-1 Sun Gold).
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #22
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi everyone -
I have a cross now of SunGold back to l. hirsutum (a wild tomato) which shows some promise. A small gold cherry, it has the highest Brix levels I've found in tomatoes. The foliage is small and crinkled, very dark green, with a strong, spicy scent. No problems with disease in a tough year and it is still producing with temperatures dropping into the 30's briefly at night in the greenhouse. The second generation is now started and hopefully I'll get fruit before spring. It has been cold the last month, but I've kept coals going in the belly of the old wood stove out there.

Last edited by goodwin; November 24, 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: clarification
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #23
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
hi everyone -
I have a cross now of SunGold back to l. hirsutum (a wild tomato) which shows some promise. A small gold cherry, it has the highest Brix levels I've found in tomatoes. The foliage is small and crinkled, very dark green, with a strong, spicy scent. No problems with disease in a tough year and it is still producing with temperatures dropping into the 30's briefly at night in the greenhouse. The second generation is now started and hopefully I'll get fruit before spring. It has been cold the last month, but I've kept coals going in the belly of the old wood stove out there.
This sounds very promising. Please keep us posted!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2009   #24
pete
Tomatovillian™

How high are the brix numbers on that hybrid. I've had sungold F1 reach 13..

Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2009   #25
travis
Tomatovillian™

And Goodwin, isn't L. hirsutsum one that gives high brix on its own? I think I read where it's been used to raise brix in cherry hybrids.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2009   #26
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Well, the field-grown ones ranged from 11.9 to about 13.4, better on average than the SunGolds I had. Hirsutum has high levels of soluble solids - about 55-65% of which are sugars. It may also be monogenic for sucrose accumulation (rather than reducing sugars).
Unfortunately, after all my big talk, the temperature dropped down to 12F last night and the foliage on the plants I had in the greenhouse was a very deep shade of green this morning. So no more fruit for a bit until the seedlings I've started begin to produce. Sad picture below - wish I had taken a photo the day before, because the leaves are quite unusual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGxhirsutum.JPG (466.2 KB, 101 views)
Old November 26, 2009   #27
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

If you are looking for something to raise the brix level, I would look at using Aunt Molly's. The problem is I don't know if they would cross with a plain tomato or what you would get because of the husk involved.

I mention them because we grow them every year and they will survive light frosts. This year while the plants were long froze, we picked up good edible fruit recently. They had survived many frosts and 2 hard freezes of 26* and 27*. No not all the fruit was good, but a decent amount was still quite good. The only reason I can think that they weren't mush like all the other tomatoes out in the field is the fact that they are so high in sugar plus that little husk protection.

A cross, if it worked, would also add some "fruitiness" that is characteristic of Aunt Molly's too. They have a flavor that is hard to pin down. When they are fully ripe I think they taste like cherry - pineapple. But when less than fully ripe they can taste like plum, or citrus with a hint of tomato for some people.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2009   #28
travis
Tomatovillian™

Carol, I think a tomato fruit's relative potential to resist cold damage may be on account of pectin content but maybe sugar level plays a role. I really don't know.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2009   #29
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Well whatever it is, those Aunt Molly's seem to have plenty to keep them decent long beyond the rest of my stuff.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009   #30
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Same family, different genus. I think the chromosome number of ground cherries is the same, however, plants produce proteins which block pollination by even close related species.

Last edited by goodwin; December 2, 2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: clarity