Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 3, 2014   #31
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

I have Quite a bit of 97L97 available.

I now plan to do a germination test on about 30 seeds, but I still have more than I'll need.

I have some packaged already in 6 seed packets.

I also have more Jaune Flammee than I'll need.

I'll be glad to send either of these to anyone if they send me an SASE.

PM me if you're interested. After a few days here, I'll repost this offer to the 'Available' forum.

Chris

P.S. My seed source was Fusion_Power. Here is the USDA announcement about 97L97 (and two other Beta-carotene tomatoes): http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/...2/387.full.pdf
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #32
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
Here is the USDA announcement about 97L97 (and two other Beta-carotene tomatoes): http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/...2/387.full.pdf
Cool! It appears that 97L97 is...
  • uu : Uniform ripening, pale green immature fruit.
  • j2j2 : jointless pedicels
  • BB : High beta-carotene.
  • MoBMoB (Modifier of B) : With B results in very high beta-carotene.
…and is semi-determinate, due to one of a few possible mutants.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #33
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

A really useful resource on tomato genetics : http://tgc.ifas.ufl.edu/onlinevo.htm
Some of the pages have been transcribed into html : [1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11]

It can take some looking around, but there are lots of notes about specific mutants and the strains that they were found in.
Old April 7, 2014   #34
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Given the recent divergent discussion on getting descendents of L. cheesmani to germinate, I've posted the start of an experiment to see if certain treatments aided germination: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...460#post403460
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2014   #35
bower
Tomatovillian™

Darren, while you're still working on examples of cultivars for your blog, I thought I should mention that Black Cherry has clear skin, not yellow and belongs with the purples not the browns.

Of the blacks I have grown, these are 'purple' with clear skin: Black Cherry, Chernomor, Vorlon, Indian Stripe. These ones are brown with the Y skin: Black Russian, Brazilian Beauty. If you need some pictures for your blog, pm and I'll dig you up a couple.

Also re: radial stripes, Frogsleap gives Indian Stripe and Arbuznyi as OP's with that trait, on this great page about stripes:
http://frogsleapfarm.blogspot.ca/2011/02/genetic-control-of-fruit-stripes-in.html

Re the Gf allele with the red heart - I have seen pictures but not grown the determinate "Black Sea Man" which appears to have this trait - you might want to check with people who have grown it and can confirm that. (The Future is one here who grows it every year).

I haven't been able to find a single example of 'apricot'. The pictures from TGRC also don't show the red islands or pink around locules I expected from the description and instead looks plain and orange. It is disappointing because there are yellow and orange varieties with that red blush inside but no clear connection to this gene afaict.

You should list Jaune Flamme with the Beta gene instead of tangerine, also. The presentation that Chris linked by David Francis may be unpublished but he is a well known professional in the field and if he says JF is Beta, I think it's authoritative.

The wierd thing about Jaune Flamme, it also has little red streaks in the center, but according to the published stuff, there's no interaction with Beta BB and apricot atat that could explain it... as Beta needs the wild alleles RR tt and atat so they say..??? A different promoter I guess....

Ah well, if nothing this whole thread has left me with a lot of curiosity....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2014   #36
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Many of the example varieties I mention are ones I haven't personally grown, so I had to make some inferences. Some example pictures would be wonderful, especially if they can help discriminate between the brown and purple blacks. I didn't want to use ones scraped from google and I didn't have any personal photos for them.

I've got seed for one variety that produces a red-center, but I haven't been clear on the name.

Thanks for noting the varieties in the wrong place. I actually had "Jaune Flammée" on my private list as a Beta orange type, due to multiple pieces of evidence.

I haven't worked out what the apricot mutation does to the color pathway. I didn't look into it because I couldn't find any available strains with the gene and there were other 'orange' traits to talk about. The 'apricot' gene seems to only be in some of the research tomatoes so far.

Last edited by Darren Abbey; April 7, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old April 7, 2014   #37
bower
Tomatovillian™

Darren, I'm so glad you asked for photos because, once again, I found how inattentive I am! Holy cow, I forgot to mention Black Early, which is also a 'purple' and lo behold the pictures show it also has the red center that indicates a dominant Gf gene... my F1 crosses last year may be wierder than I think....

Not sure how many pix can load in one post so I will spread em out a bit. Feel free to crop or tweak any way you like if you want to use em for your blog. Sorry most are not singles, and some have white background, some black. Such as they are... use them as you will.

The first photo shows black cherry against a background of red and yellows, which shows the purple colour well.

The second photo is a plate with Black Early (fore) and Black Russian (aft) together. Black Early looks a bit pinker than black here due to the white plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cherries289.JPG (148.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg BlackEarlyleft-BlackRussianright.JPG (244.3 KB, 120 views)
Old April 7, 2014   #38
bower
Tomatovillian™

Some singles: Black Russian on black and on white, a plate of indian Stripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackRussian.JPG (220.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IndianStripe.JPG (106.0 KB, 120 views)
Old April 7, 2014   #39
bower
Tomatovillian™

Here are two pix of Black Early with the pink Pervaya Lyubov and the orange Zolotoe Serdtse, whole and then sliced.... showing Black Early's red heart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg three-early-slicers.JPG (138.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg three-sliced.JPG (141.6 KB, 121 views)
Old April 19, 2014   #40
bower
Tomatovillian™

Reading about "Green ripe" vs "green flesh" this evening. Green ripe is an ethylene sensitivity mutation, and is associated with delayed ripening - so Black Early must be a gf allele, not Gr - it is very early ripening certainly not delayed.
This is about Green ripe:
http://www.google.com/patents/US7947867

Also found this abstract of a Russian research paper on interactions of gf and Beta.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16398141
"[Characteristics of non-allelic interaction of genes gf and B in tomato].
[Article in Russian]
Kuzemenskiĭ AV.
Abstract

Results of investigation on non-allelic interaction of mutant genes gf and B in tomato are represented. It was revealed that gf gene inhibits beta-carotene synthesis owing to incomplete transformation of chlorophyll. In a double BBgfgf homozygote the joint discrete manifestation of effects of two genes takes place resulting in a new phenotype--dirty-orange colour of a fruit.
"

Something to look forward to..
Old April 20, 2014   #41
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Results of investigation on non-allelic interaction of mutant genes gf and B in tomato are represented. It was revealed that gf gene inhibits beta-carotene synthesis owing to incomplete transformation of chlorophyll. In a double BBgfgf homozygote the joint discrete manifestation of effects of two genes takes place resulting in a new phenotype--dirty-orange colour of a fruit."

First is there a way to get the whole paper, not just the abstract? that would be very interesting.

Second, will someone try to explain that a little better so I know I am getting it right. I am working on a BBgfgf in my breeding this year.
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #42
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

This seems to be the full information as to where the article was published.

https://getinfo.de/app/Special-Featu...%3ARN190955680
A University that had a life sciences division might have a copy. Also you library might be able to get it through the inter library system.

Last edited by Doug9345; April 20, 2014 at 09:25 AM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

That's a great link Doug, you can actually buy an English language copy of the paper there.
Unfortunately the articles from that journal are not presently available online in any language. http://journalseek.net/cgi-bin/journ...uery=0564-3783

I did find reference to other work on tomato pigments by the same author, this one on the interaction of hp2/dg/Beta.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19140438
"[Effects of intergenic interaction of the high pigmentation gene hp-2(dg) (high pigment-2 dark green) with the gene B (beta-carotene) in tomato].

[Article in Russian]
Kuzemenskiĭ AV.
Abstract

It was shown that during intergenic interaction of genes hp-2(dg) and B in dihomozygote an additive factor is formed activating biogenesis of beta-carotene in tomato fruits. In the genotype B/B//hp-2(dg)/hp-2(dg) there is preserved the positive effects of the gene hp-2(dg) on the content of ascorbic acid and the negative one on the content of titrated acids. With this stabilization of the gene hp-2(dg) genetic depression is observed, which is manifested in the increased productivity of B/B//hp-2(dg)/hp-2(dg)-genotypes."

If anyone manages to get copies of the full text(s), please share your knowledge by posting a more detailed explanation of the results for us.
Old April 20, 2014   #44
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If I can ever get my life coordinated between, my responsibilities, making a living, and growing a garden I'd like to drive to Cornell University once a month to use their library and see if I can read some of these articles.

I found it in Russian. http://lviv.spmeta.com/articles/3950013a.pdf That likely only helps a few people here.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #45
bower
Tomatovillian™

Drat, the page was too large for Google translate. But Doug, you are amazing. Thanks. Maybe one of our Russian friends here can read it and give us a "Coles notes".